Baby’s Got A New Set Of Shoes

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Fast Eddie B, Dec 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. You may recall that a few months back I stumbled on a pretty good deal on Pirelli P Zero A/S tires:

[​IMG]

I may have been fooled a bit by Pirelli marketing - I associated the P ZERO name with the very expensive P ZERO “Rosso’s” my ex-wife’s Jaguar called for. Someone on this site pointed out the A/S+ was the “good” one, and the ones I bought would likely not provide great mileage. So it goes.

Anyway, at 43,500 miles on my stock tires were getting borderline. My thought was to wait for the first predicted snowfall or next road trip, whichever occurred first. As it turns out a dusting of snow was forecast a week ago, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Local Firestone dealer only charged $15/ wheel to mount and balance.

[​IMG]

(Note: the tires are the same size. I think some sort of optical illusion is at play making it seem otherwise)

We had no real snow. My very first impression was a tiny bit more of a “dead spot” in the steering. Barely noticeable and likely due to more tread to yield when turning. Drove the 100 miles between our homes on Thursday, and perceive little or no difference in handling or noise. Maybe a tiny bit “firmer” over road irregularities, that’s all.

I kept the “best” of the stock tires, seen in the photo above, to possibly use as a spare on long trips. As such, looking for a wheel if anybody has one or can suggest a source. I might look in local junkyards if I can get a list of compatible wheels.

That’s about it. I’ll report back on what kind of mileage I end up getting from them. Even if only 20,000 miles, the cost per mile shouldn’t be a whole lot higher than springing for a more expensive tire.

Jennifer B likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I'm doing the same thing you did, trying to squeak out some more life until the first snow. I have to just do it.

I'm not an observant driver. In all my years of driving I have never really noticed a significant ride difference after changing tires.

4. As a follow-up…

You guys may know that in February we bought a Tesla Model 3 Long Range and passed our Clarity down to our kids. The Clarity has about 77,000 miles on it now, and here’s the condition of those $100 Pirelli P-Zero’s after about 34,000 miles:

[​IMG]

Not completely worn out, but just about. So, a lot of bang for the buck, and I wouldn’t hesitate to choose them again at that price.

Mark W and leehinde like this.
  5. Just had an oil change, brake fluid flush and tire rotation performed. Tire tread depth was 7/32” all around at just under 30K miles on the OEM tires. Given that new tread depth is spec’d at 8.5/32” another 30K miles shouldn’t be an unreasonable expectation.

6. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

You didn't mention if you saw any difference in the mpg or the EV range versus the original low rolling resistance tires. My guess is you did not see a difference.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David Towle

I'm at 66k miles and a month ago the dealer's check showed 6 to 7/32 left! I checked myself and its really about 4/32.

9. Hard to say. Certainly the range dropped over the 3 years we owned it, but I don’t recall a noticeable drop with the tire change.

10. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

It is hard to find any quantitative data on the rolling resistance of tires. When shopping for tires, I would like to be able to compare this property along with the other important things like stopping distance, wet traction, summer / winter performance, etc.

11. Best I can say is for my driving style, both the Pirelli’s and the stock Michelin’s were “fine”. Getting 4 decent tires for about $400 remains a good decision for me, and as I said, I’d do it again.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Just measured them this morning. They are 7/32 all around, as reported. I’d imagine that at 66K miles they will be similar to yours at 4/32. That could take 6 or more years with our current driving patterns.

14. David Towle

BTW that was an incredible price you found, they are $175 at walmart now and $160 at Tire Rack. I suggest anyone who finds a great price on tires like this post it please. thanks. And man Walmart has an incredible selection of tire brands I have never heard of, all Asian I'm sure.