Check out Colorado's EV plate

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Tommm, Oct 20, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

"And it matches the blue of the car"
    My wife when she saw it on a different car.

Screenshot_20221020-082948_Chrome.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. LaurieS

LaurieS Active Member

Shazam!!!

SameGuy likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That is a good-looking license plate, but the 3-3 layout surrounding the lightning bolt severely limits Colorado's electric-car vanity-plate options

5. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I really like the CO electric plate. The AZ plate is generic Alt Fuel so does not distinguish the SE as electric.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Matt007b likes this.
  6. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

I asked about these in the spring and the DMV had no idea what I was talking about. Oh well, the standard one is a perfect match for British racing green.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

NC doesn't have an electric plate get. Pictured is the one that has failed to be accepted a few times. It isn't getting me very excited.
    202706-ev-license-plate-final-1024x522.jpg

9. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

In Texas I'd opt for the 'oil and gas' plate, but someone would probably steal it.

10. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine is the guy at DMV that handles plates for the state. If you get a vanity plate regardless of what plate you have, you lose the logo.

11. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

From what ive read you can swap it. I think the plate gives us priority at some chargers or parking spots. The state used to give a decal for the windshield. All new to me, and this new plate while not mandatory as in you can get any of the other plates, is what DMV will give us at no charge. I have the columbine high on one of my cars. That was free. My wife has the breast cancer on hers. That was free, then a few years later they started charging something like 25 when we renew to go to the fund. I think they charge me for the color plate plus the vanity on the k man

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Quiet Mini

Do you have any details on these priority things? I had not head that before. Honestly I feel like this plate might be an invitation for even more coal rolling than the normal amount.

14. Driften

Driften New Member

I just checked and Washington State doesn't have any special EV plates. Oh well...

15. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

I did a brief search and came up with the stickers. I think DMV issued stickers for the passenger top of the windshield to notify meter maids not to ticket if parked in a EV spot. My license plate frame will probably cover the words anyway. Im going to do the picture/bumper sticker on the front like i did with the kman.

My buddy who is the dude at DMV when it comes to the plates told me all frames are illegal in CO. Even the ones Schomp puts on both sides of the car. I got one of the art frames from BMW club last week. That will go on the rear, and the front for the picture.

Schmucks rolling coal because of the plate is a good reason to have a dash cam. Get the plate, and post it.

16. Minicris

Minicris Member

I'm in a sad state that doesn't allow personalized plates on an EV or have special designed EV plates. The format is #####EV.
    Hoping one of these days that will change. Those Colorado ones are pretty cool looking.

17. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

So coincidental you mentioned Schomp. I just sent a very long email to Jonathan McClair, the sales manager at Schomp Honda. He sold me my MINI Cooper SE and then left Ann Arbor for the Mile-High City. Three years since he last heard from me, I told him he sold me the best and most fun car I've ever owned.

The license-plate frame I had made for my SE has very thin bezels, so it doesn't conceal much of the plate:

upload_2022-10-21_10-54-2.png

18. Man my state is so far behind... (Utah). Last I heard Colorado people get a $4k state tax rebate and all I get is a sticker to use the HOV lane. Now Colorado has special electric plates :(

19. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Minnesota doesn't offer anything for EVs, except a higher tab fee. It would be nice if we could at least use the HOV lanes.

20. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Was 4000 in 20, 2500 in 21 and 22. It drops to 2000 in 23.

I learned I dont have to get the EV plate. I can get the regular plate or any of the over 140 different Colorado plates, and get a sticker for the windshield.

What does the sticker for the windshield do, you ask (I did)? It tells whomever that the road tax fee, the EV equivalent of the gasoline tax was paid. But isn't that payment required, and included in the money paid to get the sticker that goes on the plate? Yes, it is. That bureaucratic truth is your chuckle for the day. :)

azausa likes this.
  21. Quiet Mini

I have never seen this sticker on any car ever.

22. pleckos

pleckos New Member

Are there any benefits to having the plate? I hear of EV hate, esp in CO where so many people drive big *** trucks, that I don't want to stick out unless there are benefits to it.

23. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

According to my buddy the benefit is that you dont have to put the sticker in the windshield. My wife who drives a V8 XC90 saw the plate, likes that it matches the car, so I am getting the plate. I will report any coal rolling or single digit salutes I get, or give because of the plate.