Deceleration paddle settings

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by StrangePenguin, Oct 21, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. StrangePenguin

StrangePenguin New Member

I wanted to double-check with the knowledgeable crowd here how the regen paddles are supposed to work.

When you turn the car on, there are no "chevrons" displayed on the dash.

I swear that the first click on the left paddle is supposed to bring the car from "no chevrons" to "1 chevron". Then the second click goes to "2 chevrons" etc up to 4 clicks to get 4 chevrons. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I recently took my car to the dealership for routine service. Afterwards my 2020 Clarity started going straight to "2 chevrons" on the first click. Subsequent clicks add 1 chevron each as normal. I'm convinced that this is a change from the way the car used to behave. I can still get to "1 chevron" (let's assume I'm in Econ mode and have been driving so there are no chevrons displayed) by clicking the left paddle once to get to 2 chevrons, and then the right paddle once to get back to 1.

The dealership claims that the "going straight to 2 chevrons" is how the car is supposed to behave and there's nothing wrong with it. They say they checked 3 other Clarities.

This is a very minor issue but it bugs me that I'm pretty sure the way the controls behaved changed after my routine maintenance visit.

Thanks for any input.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. StrangePenguin

Hmm, I just watched a video from Honda about the 2017 Clarity and it is fact does show it going straight to "2". That's what it is doing now. But I swear my 2020 Clarity did not used to work that way.

jdonalds and sabasc like this.
  4. Daniel M W

Daniel M W Member

Hi!, it goes straight to 2 chevrons after the first press. Only way to get 1 chevron is by pressing the right paddle.

The "standard" regen (without using the paddles) is 2 chevrons, so if you need to reduce the "standard" regen the 1 chevron selection will be the option.

sabasc likes this.
  5. StrangePenguin

Thanks for the reply. What model year do you have?

Unless there's a difference between model years, it seems that either I'm crazy and completely misremembering how it used to work, or something was genuinely weird with my car since Day 1 that has now been fixed to the correct behavior. I suppose the former is more likely....

6. 1 chevron is the default setting, you just don’t see the single chevron displayed. Put another way, you never have zero chevrons when you see zero chevrons. When you add regen with the first pull of the paddle you’re going from one to two.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

My 2020 has gone straight to 2 from new. And IIRC, so did the preproduction one I drove when Honda was doing the national introduction tour. I even asked about it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

sabasc likes this.
  9. StrangePenguin

Thanks. Glad to hear that my car is fine.

sabasc likes this.
  10. This is not correct. “Standard” or default regen (without using the paddles) is one (invisible) chevron. Two chevrons are not available until the left paddle is pulled a single time.

The left paddle will allow two, three or four chevrons to be displayed. The right paddle will allow three, two or one chevrons to be displayed. Pulling the right paddle 4, 5 or 100 times will not make the single chevron disappear from the display. Acceleration will make the single chevron disappear, however, the single chevron, or “level” of regen, remains by default.

SSpiffy and insightman like this.
  11. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

I was playing with this today on the highway, watching the power meter while off the throttle.

Standard *is* one chevron.

Gene

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

sabasc likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

2018 Touring with 53.000 miles. One pull on left paddle has always gone to two chevrons of regen. One chevron is the default even when it does not show.

insightman likes this.
  14. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

It seems that my Clarity applies the rear brakes, when I use the paddle with a full battery.

My rear brakes went bad, and were grinding the rotor (200,000 miles odometer). One morning, I didn't think about it, and used the paddle when the battery was about 91%. I thought I heard the rear brake grinding. It was the end of my trip, so I waited til the next morning to confirm. Next morning, battery about 95%, and I pulled the left paddle, and the grinding was light. I pulled the right paddle to stop the 'regen', and the grinding stopped. I pulled the left paddle again, and it started, pulled the right paddle and it stopped...

It did not apply the brake heavily, but I was surprised that it caused the rear caliper to engage.

I have replaced the rear pads and rotor, so I cannot test further.

A side note, while I was replacing the brakes in the Clarity, I had to drive my old Sable: The car did not slow down when I pulled on the left side of the steering wheel...

sabasc and Robert_Alabama like this.
  15. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Makes you scratch your head even more as to why the engine starts when battery is too full to accept regen. Talking about engineers overthinking something!!!