GOM mystery solved

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by vader, Oct 17, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Too late, everyone here knows what a GOM is and UBPaACGD is hard to remember.

Driving multiple miles with only a 1-mile GOM drop could be the effect of the GOM registering regen braking and ignoring all travel in the coasting zone between power and regen.

Minicris and revorg like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Realistically in this weather — ie, no need for heat or AC — in West Island driving I’m easily getting 2 km per % charge. But I charge at home on Hydro Quebec’s lower dual-energy rate (4.3¢/KWh), so if I know I’m not leaving town to go to Plattsburgh or Hawkesbury, I drive with a slightly heavier right foot. That definitely lowers it, but it’s very easy even in spirited driving to get the rated 183 km per charge. If I leave the West Island with a full charge and take the Mercier, the 207/221 through the Rez to Hemmingford and across to Route 22 all the way into Plattsburgh (122 km), I get to Champlain Centre with between 42 and 48% left. I’m sure I could do even better than that, but it is so easy to pass other vehicles in this thing that I often find myself matting the pedal just to get around them before coasting back down to the limit or thereabouts.

4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Jealous. It's 35¢/kWh for home charging (no time of use) and 30¢/min for public DCFC. It's better to mooch off of free public charging and sell excess solar energy for $$$.

SameGuy likes this.
  5. Minicris

Minicris Member

Do all of you that are getting 100+ miles range have the stock wheels and tires from factory? 95% of my driving is highway at 65MPH on flat roads. We do not have stock wheels and tires and I wonder if that affects it that much. The most miles I've ever gotten was 94 and I pulled in the driveway with 0 left on the GOM.
    Range anxiety is definitely real over here.

6. SameGuy

YUL
    Stock 17s here, but the lightest ones (Power Spoke). No idea of the relative weight differences between the stock Goodyear, Hankook, and Pirelli summer tyres, but yes, larger wheels and tires and stickier rubber will all impact range (and acceleration, to a small degree).

Minicris likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I'm on the stock wheels for both summer (Power Spoke) and winter (Spectre Grey Revolites). Both are the lightest, most aerodynamic choice for the SE. I'm using the OE Goodyear summer tires and Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3s for winter, which is an EV-optimized tire.

Minicris and SameGuy like this.
  9. teslarati97

Summer setup - Black tentacle spoke 17inch 205/45R17 Cinturato P7 RFT summer tires
    Winter setup - Loop spoke 16 inch 195/55R16 Pirelli Snowcontrol Serie 3 RFT winter tires

I see about a 10-20% decrease in range/efficiency going from summer set -> winter set. In -40F weather, it would probably be a 40-50% efficiency loss overall.

SameGuy and Minicris like this.
  10. GOM is like Dory - it learns but suffers memory loss periodically

I’ve seen GOM estimates range from 90 to 140 miles.

With stock wheels and tires, after a 75 mile highway drive (using 54% of battery) at next full charge GOM estimates 116 of range even though range is clearly higher than that.

After a 55 mile non-highway drive (using 27% of battery) at next full charge GOM estimated 140, that’s the highest I’ve ever seen.

Range is certainly higher than what GOM estimates. Maybe this is BMW’s way of preparing us for distant future when range drops as battery degrades over time?

Minicris likes this.
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I believe the GOM is purposely conservative because it cannot predict what kind of drain on the battery lies ahead. If you drive across the plains to the base of a mountain...

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

I think it's better the GOM is conservative, instead of the alternative where the car says you can go 150 miles and then conks out at 100 miles.

GetOffYourGas and e22mini like this.
  14. teslarati97

Imagine if airlines relied on the GOM for aviation.

polyphonic and SameGuy like this.
  15. vader

vader Well-Known Member

The interesting thing for me is that the average consumption figure is quite accurate, but the GOM is not. A really simple estimate would be to use the average onsumption. This would give a figure much, much closer to the real value.

As an aside, I use the same wheels/tyres all year round. I have the tentacle spokes with Goodyear F1 Asym 3. I get slightly better economy in winter as the outside temp is closer to my chosen cabin temp (21C).

carrrl and Minicris like this.
  16. SameGuy

YUL
    :mad::p

I should’ve picked up my mate’s unit on MacDonald (at the Story, facing Eagle Pier), when he sold it a couple of years ago.

17. teslarati97

Daytime high is 36F and I'm down to 3.28 mi/kWh now. I like the creature comforts of a heated seat and steering wheel so it's been an overall 37% drop in efficiency (5.2 mi/kWh in the summer).

SameGuy likes this.
  18. SameGuy

YUL
    Yikes. Do you park indoors before heading out?

19. teslarati97

This time the MINI was outdoor cold soaked. I parked outside because I was up early for work and didn't want to wake everyone else up!

SameGuy likes this.
  20. SameGuy

YUL
    We hit 70° again today, but I’m trying to mentally prepare for what’s coming. Is it reasonable to expect better efficiency after being parked in a 50° garage, and preconditioning (both either charging or unplugged)?

21. teslarati97

Efficiency is a little better with preconditioning for 5-15 min trips, but cabin temperature comforts tends to eat away at the SoC for 30+ minute trips. Being able to precondition with the garage door closed is a game changer.

It just really comes down to how far you need to travel, but it's still better than ICE winter driving.

SameGuy likes this.
  22. Puppethead

My experience with cold weather driving is the range is not affected much by cold batteries, instead your max e-power is reduced when the batteries are cold. It's the cabin heating that impacts range during the winter, in part because the heat pump isn't effective below about 40 ºF. Last winter I drove 40 miles in -3 ºF weather in green+ mode (no heat) and got almost 5 mi/kWh.

The advantage to preconditioning the batteries before departure (via charging or climatizing) is warming the batteries will stave off any cold soaking for a few hours if, like me, you have to park your SE outside all day without charging.

carrrl likes this.
  23. SameGuy

YUL
    Yeah, mine’ll get cold-soaked during the day parked in an open lot at work, so I’m hoping the departure precon balances it out a bit.