Undercoat Kona Ev

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by bubz, Oct 17, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bubz

bubz New Member

Hello folks,

I have a 2022 Kona and I live in the snow town buffalo NY. Just wondering if anyone else has done undercoating such as Krown or similar ??

Anything to watch out for during the cost process ??

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Be cautious about your traction battery being undercoated, there have been previous post how Hyundai has specifically indicated this is a bad idea and this may affect your battery warranty. Please do double check with your dealer or Hyundai directly to verify.

Lars likes this.
  4. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

I live in an area were extensive road salt is used in the winter. I had a 1989 Chev Cavlier wagon. The owner's manual said that because of special factory applied primers and sealants that no aftermarket anti-rust treatments would be needed. Ha! Rocker panels were the first to go. Then I saw a client's older Cavlier with no rust at all. Client said she had inherited the car from her dad who had it Krown sprayed every year. I immediately booked my then 2 year old 1999 Saturn wagon for the process and have had it done almost every year since. Car goes up on hoist and mechanic goes "wow" in a good way. It's the rust you can't see that's the most dangerous and the under carriage still looks great after 23 Canadian winters.

The dealer told me not to get my first Leaf done by Krown as they drill holes into door and body frame members to inject the oil spray to the insides. These holes are then fitted with rubber plugs. The dealer told me they could drill into the high voltage wiring and cause a fire. What utter dealer B.S. I've had my current Leaf done 3 times so far and am going to continue as long as I have the car. Maybe the kind of undercoating Hyundai was concerned about was the heavy tar like rubberized coatings which lose their grip after so many years and allow brine to seep underneath making the rusting even worse. If any dealer or manufacturer told me that aftermarket rust proofing would void the warranty I'd consider that an absolute deal breaker.

Let's face it. Dealers and manufacturers don't want the cars lasting too long it seems. I've often joked that the real threat to the U.S. from Cuba is that they've showed that you can keep cars on the road for 50 years +.

EVatLast and bubz like this.
  5. My dealer specifically told me not to undercoat the car. Undercoating the HV battery may also effect it's cooling. Lat's face it, they could have sold me undercoating and they did not - due to potential warranty issues. Anyone has their Kona EV undercoated?

Let's face it one does not see many rusted cars on the road today. Unless today's car buyers are religious about undercoating - this observation should tell us something.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    bubz likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. NRH

NRH Active Member

I've used WoolWax (a lanolin spray, like Fluid Film). I just got a couple spray cans, and did it myself. There's not that much under this car since the battery covers most of the undercarriage. I just did all the suspension parts. Took 2 or 3 cans. Having a dealer do it would cost about $200, even though there's far less to spray on this car.
    I didn't spray the HV battery. Doesn't seem like it's likely to have any rust problems.

Ginginova likes this.
  8. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

Rustproofing is much better on newer cars over last 2 decades.

If you will go with undercoating the Kona, then it must be done quite selective as done by @NRH .
    As most of the underbody is basically the battery. And battery case is made of light alloy which is quite rust proof.

bubz likes this.
  9. Rust problems are likely in areas one can not visually inspect/see, like inside doors, fenders etc. where the salty spray can get in and stand. There is a reason undercoaters used to drill holes into cover body cavities where problems will likely occur. The battery should be sealed in a waterproof shell. One can not avoid driving through slush and water from time to time.

11. To remove this ad click here.