Quick way to disable Carplay?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by quietlyspinach, Oct 16, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. quietlyspinach

quietlyspinach Active Member

Does anyone know of a quick way to disable Carplay, without removing the iPhone's pairing?

Most of the time I enjoy using it, but there are times when it's more convenient for my wife's phone which has bluetooth audio to connect instead.

It seems once Carplay is configured and an iPhone is within range it automatically wants to switch to that no matter what. Even when I manually switch over to my wife's phone, it periodically "notices" my iPhone and starts switching back.

The only work around I have now is to turn off bluetooth on my iPhone, which ends up disabling my Apple Watch connection as well.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. omomomo

omomomo New Member

You can turn off Wi-Fi instead of Bluetooth on your iPhone via settings (not from control center as that is just temporary).

4. quietlyspinach

Unfortunately that won't work for me - what I forgot to say above is that often times when I want to do this, it's because I'm trying to connect to a *different* wifi network, such as my house so I can briefly do things on my home network. So I actually do need wifi to stay active.

What I have found sort of works, is enabling Screen Time and then under Screen Time, disabling CarPlay as an option. Unfortunately that means as long as I have Screen Time on, my battery drains faster, and it also means that I can't use Screen Time normally if I want to (thankfully I do not). But it's unfortunately not scriptable via Siri Shortcuts, so it pops up this dialog running me through the steps of setting up Screen Time each time I re-activate it, even though I've already got it set up. Also, it only works if I do this *before* I approach my car. If I'm already in the car, this doesn't work.

So I was kind of hoping that there was a way on the *car* side to toggle this that is less of a hassle.

5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Uncheck CarPlay on the center screen, then while that’s still up, program a hot button. I’m taking a stab, I dunno if that’ll work.

6. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

When my iPhone's hot spot is active, it won't connect to the SE's radio. Perhaps something else to try. It can drain some battery but my SE has wireless charging, so not an issue for me.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

You can disable CarPlay on the iPhone in Settings–>CarPlay->MINIxxxxx (where 'xxxxx' is your car's identifier aka last 5 digits of VIN). That would leave wifi and bluetooth active. Another option is it seems CarPlay can be disabled via Screen Time (lower part of page). Perhaps one or both of those methods could be triggered via a Shortcut.

quietlyspinach and SameGuy like this.
  9. quietlyspinach

Yes, it appears these are the only two good methods that work. I've stuck with the Screen Time method because that's the only part that can be done with via a Shortcut. There's no shortcut for Carplay directly unfortunately.

Thanks for everyone's input - I guess it's good to know I'm not missing anything! :)

10. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Have you tried disconnecting your phone in the mobile devices screen in Mini settings? I wonder if that would still automatically wake up and re-connect to CarPlay when you don't want it to, or if it would remain disconnected until you tell it to reconnect.

Under my mini, system settings, mobile devices - I assigned that screen to one of the shortcut buttons. That quickly gets me to the list of phones where I can select my phone, scroll down, and 'disconnect device'. That disables CarPlay. I then selected 'connect device' and CarPlay woke back up without having to re-pair the phone.

11. quietlyspinach

Unfortunately it does not stay disconnected consistently. I think the iPhone itself periodically wakes up and notices the MINI's WiFi network, and then the two of them get together and start a re-connection process automatically. I haven't figured out how often it happens and what triggers it; what I do know is the sometimes I will be driving along with my iPhone disconnected from CarPlay and my wife will connect her iPhone up via USB to play some music. Things will be going along fine, but then sometimes when a track will end, my iPhone suddenly takes over the CarPlay display and starts playing a song at random. The only way to make sure this doesn't happen is to actually disable it via the iPhone.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.