Aftermarket TPMS Sensors

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by -Amanda, Aug 3, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. -Amanda

-Amanda Active Member

I just got my new SE and will be running a separate set of winter tires/wheels. I purchased aftermarket 16” wheels and need to get a set of TPMS sensors. Does anyone have any experience with any specific brands aside from OEM?

I’m not really wanting to just use whatever the tire shop installs. On my previous vehicle (a VW) the tire shop had to replace 2 sensors because they used the wrong valves and the new sensors were problematic/slow at syncing. We sold the vehicle before it was actually resolved.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Discount Tire's programmable TPMS sensors (don't know the brand) have been working just fine in my SE.

carrrl likes this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I got aftermarket TPMS sensors from Tire Rack (don't remember the exact ones) many years ago for my MINI and they worked great.

carrrl likes this.
  5. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Tire Rack purchased TPMS in 2016 for I 3 with set of Blizzaks works correctly to November 2021 when I sold a car.

6. I chose to not purchase TPMS for my winter wheels. It is annoying to have to cancel the warning but occasionally checking pressures with a gauge is no big deal saving more than a few dollars.

Mike Wazowski
    & for more

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. TuppyGlossop

TuppyGlossop New Member

Re-upping an quiet thread with my experience.

I just had set of used 494 rims and new Nokian Hakkapelitta R3 tires mounted at the dealer. I did not have the TPMS sensors and asked the dealer to provide… unfortunately sensors were 150 each.

It did not occur to me that they would be that expensive, and I stupidly didn’t ask in advance. Same price I paid for the tires themselves!

9. BackPack

BackPack Member

Next time, buy them in advance from Advance Auto Parts or Autozone.

I needed new TPMS sensors a few years ago for our RAV4. The sensor in one tire had a dead or dying battery. The Goodyear dealer wanted to charge around $150 for new sensors. I asked if I could bring in my own and they said yes. If I remember right, I got the sensors at Advance Auto for about $50/sensor.

Even though only one sensor was bad, I had them replace all 5 (spare included). I knew the others were sure to fail soon after.

The Mini dealer may not let you bring in your own parts, but I’m sure any tire place will let you do that.

10. My local tire shop used Autel MX1 sensors on the used Loop Spoke wheels that I purchased for winter tires. They’ve worked without issue. The unit price was $59.99. I just swapped out the summer Hancook set for the winter all-season Pirelli Cinturato P7s. The Pirelli tires performed well last winter in Connecticut (January - April) - although I didn’t seek out deep snow or extreme ice with the SE.

11. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

I have Costco sensors on my winter wheels and they work just fine.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

Discount Tire used Schrader SCH 33560D on my winter set. $60 each. Work well so far.

insightman likes this.
  14. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I got the Discount Tire ones on our Clubman winter wheels. No issues, way cheaper.

insightman likes this.
  15. I got a set of used 17 inch rims and had my local tire place install sensors I got from Rock Auto. RDE 027V21 made by BHSens. $30.89 each. Seem well made (manufactured in Germany) and work fine with no programming needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

SameGuy likes this.
  16. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

If one is concerned, go to a site like rm european or fcp euro and see who the OES is.

17. -Amanda

-Amanda Active Member

Since this thread didn’t get much response I ended up ordering OEM TPMS sensors from ECS Tuning for $110 USD each. They were easy to sync and we’ve had no issues in the week that they’ve been on the car.

SameGuy likes this.
  18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Buying OEM adds a sense of peace-of-mind.

-Amanda and SameGuy like this.
  19. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Yes it's a tough one when dealership OEM winter tire packages cost less than going aftermarket. Eventually I'll go back to Hakkas when the OEM tread is worn out.

-Amanda likes this.
  20. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

How much response did you need? Two said Tire Rack, another said Discount Tire. Those are the main go to places.
    here is Tire Rack after a two minute search https://www.tirerack.com/tpms/results.jsp?autoMake=MINI&autoModel=Hardtop+2+Door&autoYear=2022&autoModClar=Cooper+SE+%28Electric%29

Is Discount cheaper?

chrunck likes this.
  21. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

22. -Amanda

-Amanda Active Member

I was looking for specific brands and neither of the original replies in August provided that. The more recent October replies did but those were too late as I had already bought OEM. Thanks for the snarky response though.

23. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

The brands Tire Rack and Discount sell are OEM brands usually OES too. The ones from the dealer are probably Huf or Schrader.

Both of those places sell thousands of sets of wheel/tire combos with the TPMS installed, making for a bolt on install. If they didn't work, they would have to pay return shipping for each set that didn't work. I apologize, when I saw their responses, I, and probably many others figured the question was answered. Sorry to have let you down.

Snarky - moi?

Rexsio likes this.