GM starts energy division

Discussion in 'General' started by marshall, Oct 11, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

We’ll if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Wait, isn't GM trying to beat 'em? However, I doubt stodgy old GM could ever make itself as valuable as Tesla--unless Tesla crashes after Elon loses his shirt (and other items of clothing) with Twitter.

I was surprised to read in that article Tesla lost money on their energy product line. That's probably what encouraged Mary to start this new GM venture.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

That's almost irrelevant as Tesla has over $4.4bn in deferred revenue on the books. As of June 2022 about $2.66bn is for Full Self Driving (“FSD”) features, internet connectivity, Supercharger network and over-the-air software updates. Deferred energy revenues was about $678 million as of June 2022.

5. Ashem

Ashem New Member

I hope that more automakers follow this strategy. It'll incentivize them to produce more batteries and EVs, which should help lower costs through economies of scale and competition in the long run.

Plus it'll be interesting to see how EVs will play a role on the grid as more of them have this sort of functionality available to them.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Me too … especially hydrogen fuel cells. Let them waste their time and money to go out of business sooner than later.

As Dr Deming said, “Survival is not guaranteed.”

Bob Wilson