First Service - 10K miles - What is included?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Tim94549, Oct 10, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I'm about to turn over 10k miles in my 2020 Ultimate. Anyone have a link to what is included in the first service? TIA

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. This breakdown from my dealer upon purchase (CDN $):
    The maintenance will be as follows:
    1st year (12k kms) $69.00 (checks)
    2nd year (24k kms) $200 (brakes take apart, clean & lubricate (pins etc) and checks
    3Rd year Brake fluid change + checks (didn't get price but usually $200 or less)
    Coolant change on the Kona @60K km
    Tire rotation at 1 year intervals included.
    Of course additional "optional" reduction gear oil replacement is a good idea, cost at dealer ~$175, just be sure to pre-order oil before hand (and any magnets or magnetic plugs).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  4. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

OK, so looks like my 1st service is nothing more than Tire Rotation. Or am I missing something? For those that have had this done, are the tires simply rotated front to back? Of are they rotated criss-cross? e.g., R-Front to B-Left / L-Front to B-Right ? I hate the idea of paying to have that done when I could just as well do it myself for free. TIA

5. Its pretty much that and they claim is a multipoint inspection. I usually do it myself when I swap out my summer for winter tires. I also gives me a chance to do my own real multipoint inspection. I don't mind paying for this but honestly I hate the time I have to waste to make an appointment and wait around or be shuttled for a relative none service. If your tires are directional just a front to back swap is sufficient.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  6. You're probably not going to want to bother going in for the 15k mile service either since that's just replacement of the cabin air filter (plus the tire rotation/balancing and "multipoint inspection"). I'm sure you can find the OEM filter or Amazon "equivalent" for less than what the dealership would charge and you can replace it yourself in less than 5 minutes with no tools.

I'm guessing you got your 2020 after they started including the 3 yr/36k mile complimentary maintenance, but even if you did have that, replacing the cabin air filter isn't covered - at least as it was explained to me.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I picked up a 2-pack air filter from AMAZON for $15 : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087WN3SJD?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Kirby34 likes this.
  9. ^^I don't know if it's because I do almost all my driving on the freeway, but my cabin filters almost always have a somewhat surprising amount of stuff in them even in my previous cars.

Also, I just noticed that the mis-phrasing in my reply - I meant to say "I'm guessing you got your 2020 BEFORE they started including...". Oops.

10. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I went thru my records and don't find anything about included 3 yr/36k Comp Maint ... Nothing mentioned on the HYUNDAI site under MAINTENANCE for my vehicle either. But I only just turned 10k anyway - 3 years in Dec. I don't drive that much.

11. Since it looks like you purchased it in Dec '19, that would explain it since they started including it for new cars sold after Feb 1, 2020. As you might suspect, it doesn't really come into play a whole lot for our Electrics since the vast majority of scheduled maintenance is tire rotation/balancing and Inspection of just about everything else. The cabin filter replacement (every 15k miles) and coolant replacement (30k miles / 3 years) aren't covered.

(Edit for clarification.)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Just a short while ago, they fixed the hockey card noise (reduction gear) in mine,,,so I don't think I have to replace that.
    I just ordered an adapter for my Motive Power brake bleeder, as it's over 3yrs old now. Coolant was basically done, when they replaced the battery.

14. XtsKonaTrooper

When I was younger and a mechanic forgot to put the rad cap on, I learnt how to do most of this stuff myself....not good after getting their multipoint crap and I'm driving and after leaving the shop, see the temperature gauge rising and steam from the hood,,,coolant everywhere...it wasn't a good place to be when I went back there.
    I had a buddy get new tires once and the ding dong mechanic forgot to tighten one of the tires. Luckily he felt it almost instantly. First mc I owned, bike mechanic put new pads on and didn't fully torque the brake caliper. If any of my vehicles have to go for something I can't do , I'm double checking everything, so most of the time it's quicker for me to tackle the stuff myself and peace of mind.

R P likes this.
  15. Yes, happens more often that you would think. Years ago my son had his MDX in for service at the dealer. When he got it back, he noticed a strange noise and vibration at high speed on the freeway. Then suddenly, the front wheel came right off. Luckily, he kept control and came to a stop on the side of the road. The damage under the wheel well was so bad that they wrote off the car. It was getting old with high mileage, and other things wrong with it, so he was OK with that. But he was lucky that no one got hurt, as he had kids in the car, too. Apparently, they failed to properly tighten the wheel nuts. However, the dealer refused to acknowledge that, probably because of insurance liability, although they offered him a bunch of free stuff, like oil changes tire rotations. However, he refused to ever go back there after his experience with them.

I also had an experience where my dealer stripped a couple of nuts/studs after a brake line recall on my Crosstrek. I found that out when I went to change from winter to summer tires. I took it back there, they didn't argue, replaced the nuts and studs and apologized.

Have heard of others with similar issues. Seems like wheels mounting issues are not uncommon with dealers and tire shops. I am glad I do my own rotations and wheel changes for winter/summer where I can be careful not to strip the threads and torque them properly.

16. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Someone mentioned above that the rotation of tires depends on whether they're "directional" or not. (front to back or criss cross) How do I know this? Is there some marking or something on the tires/ These are the stock tires that came with the car.

17. Yes, if directional it would be indicated with an arrow on the sidewall.

Tim94549 and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  18. I'm guessing from this and your other posts above you intend to do your own brake bleeds. Just a note of caution here ... On one of the Kona EV forums, maybe this one or SpeakEV, there was a discussion about DIY brake bleeding. @KiwiME, and informed and regular poster on Kona EV forums, posted about the Kona's complicated blended braking system and the extreme lengths required to properly bleed it. There was a comprehensive TSB attached, IIRC. His conclusion was that the task would better be left to a dealer.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  19. XtsKonaTrooper

Good to know. I'll have to research it more I guess.
    I'll be using a pressurized power bleeder, so maybe that will help.

20. Yes, although I’ll have to decide soon because my two years since the last change is up. The complex factory procedure is for a complete flush and bleed, not just a renewal, which is all I need.
    I’m thinking of trying a traditional vacuum or pressure change even though I know it won’t clear out all the old fluid.
    Additionally, the dealer only charges about $80 for this and wondering if it’s worth the trouble to do it myself.