Button fell out

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by tinpanalley, Oct 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I've got a little black button with three small legs/pegs that has fallen out of one side of the footwell. Anyone seen one of these and happen to know how to put it back? One of the three pegs keep sbending back when I try to put it back in its place. Any tips?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

Sounds like a plastic fastener, they don’t usually come out unless they were broken or installed incorrectly. the center part needs to be pulled up before trying to reinsert.

This video goes over the basics -

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Photo, please?

5. Not quite like those...

6. You'll ahve to excuse the cat hair and mess, we've been moving.
    DSC_1764 (2).jpg

DSC_1764 (2).jpg

Attached Files:

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

The cat probably pulled the button out! Bad kitty!

I'm trying to imagine what the button with "three small legs/pegs" looks like (I'm afraid to yank out the button in my SE to see it). I wonder how the button is installed at the factory?

Are the legs flexible enough that you could you wrap a thread around the legs to collapse them enough to get the button into the hole? Then you could pull the thread out to allow the legs to expand and hold the button in place.

9. That....is.. probably something that could work....
    I of course, left it in the car, so I can't send a picture of it right now. I'll send it tomorrow.

10. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    I had that happening on one of those fasteners - when i unplugged the phone charger (plug is right behind that area). I pulled out the center pin and kept bending the rogue peg until it was straight enough to go in without bending backwards. You can put the center pin back in after you get the fastener in the hole.

I hate poorly designed push clips and i consider these to be those.

11. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Those of us who have chosen to cohabit with cats (and it may not necessarily be OUR choice) have learned to ignore cat hair EVERYWHERE.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. This is it...
    DSC_1813.JPG

14. insightman

Based on his experience described in this post above, the expert on this peg is @Hatch.

15. Not sure I'm getting what you did...

16. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    That long thing is a center pin that you can remove completely, correct? Correct me if i'm wrong. I'm not home right now to check.

17. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

I agree with @Hatch. That looks like a push-pin clip, the second style of clip shown in the video @carrrl shared above.

18. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    Yeah take the middle pin completely out of the clip. This will make it easier to bend the 3 pegs straight enough, so that you can insert the clip back into the hole in the interior panel of the console. After the clip is back in the hole, then insert the middle pin back into the clip to secure everything.

It's not real easy. You have to play with the clip and it's 3 bendy pegs and get that sucker back into the hole. It's a bad design.

20221012_154821.jpg

20221012_154841.jpg

GvilleGuy and SameGuy like this.
  19. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Has anyone else noticed that the current young generation pronounces /buh' tuhn/ this way:
    /buh' uhn/ ?
    Really hurts my ears.

20. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

Count your blessings. I grew up in East Tennessee, and I pronounce wash as 'warsh'. I get a lot of odd looks when I talk about the politicians in Warshington.

F14Scott likes this.
  21. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

In my checkered employment career, I once worked in a gas station with a charming fellow from Alabama who used words like "tar" and "awl" (and he wrote them that way, too). Don't forget to ask the customer if they'd like their "awl" checked, or if their "tars" needed air.

22. insightman

I was astounded when someone "out east" told me I had a Michigan accent!

Edit: I was only 21--a young idiot who believed everyone else had an accent, not me!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
  23. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    A coworker is from a smaller town outside AA, and he most definitely has an eastern-Midwestern accent.