Mini sales volume

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by DJCoopster, Oct 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

I've mentioned it before, but I'm in the auto industry and read trade publications regularly, which include sales numbers across the manufacturers.

For June:
    Mini sold 2119 vehicles in the US
    1672 Cooper/Clubman
    447 Countryman

June 2021:
    2971 total
    1961 Cooper/Clubman
    1010 Countryman

For BMW Group (BMW, Mini, RR) in June:
    26950 total
    (33674 for June 2021)

Mini is just over 10% of their volume which actually surprised me that it's that high.

For reference, Ford sold 2925 Mach-E in June.

Just interesting stuff to me.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

MotoringFile also shared BMW/MINI's sales numbers, and this caught my eye:
    Q3 2021: 1,690 Cooper /S Hardtop 2 Door were sold
    Q3 2022: 3,070 Cooper /S Hardtop 2 Door were sold

That's an 81.7% increase! Meanwhile, sales of the Hardtop 4 Door were down 2% and sales of the convertible were up 17.3%.

I wonder how many of those 2 Door Hardtops were SEs...

4. DJCoopster

I feel like I saw the SE was around 10% of 2-door sales at one point, but who knows.

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I saw somewhere the SE is 1 in 5 (I think, maybe 1 in 4?) hardtops being made, but that's worldwide I believe.

6. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

As I recall:
    Last year, globally, 1 in 3 Minis were 2 door hardtop. Of those, 1 in 3 were SE.
    So 1 in 6 Minis were SE last year.

MichaelC likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

According to the 2022 Q2 report, BMW Group says 18% of electrified MINI (Cooper SE + Countryman SE) for worldwide sales.

Texas22Step and MichaelC like this.
  9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Wow, 1 in 3 2-door hardtops are the SE? That's much higher than I expected.

10. AndysComputer

Texas22Step and MichaelC like this.
  11. DJCoopster

Very nice info everyone.

AndysComputer and SameGuy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. BostonSE

BostonSE New Member

Wouldn't that be "1 in 9 Minis were SE"?

14. AndysComputer

Yes! Doh!

15. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I’m confused. Wouldn’t the gas 2-door be more popular, as it’s sales were twice that of the SE?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

16. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

In Germany the EV direct rebate for sub 40,000€ (about $40,000 USD) vehicles is 9,000€ so the MINI Electric is a bargain!

17. AndysComputer

There is no such thing as “the” gas model 2 door. When you divide them up between Cooper, Cooper S, JCW etc any individual model presumably sells in lower numbers than the SE model. That’s how I read it anyway…
    In terms of drivetrain, gas 2-doors outsell electric 2 doors two to one though.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  18. Have had my SE for 1½ years now. Still get a thrill every time I get in it. I love it. And $17/mo to power it with my standard garage wall outlet = sublime. [I'm not a daily driver].

MichaelC, SameGuy and insightman like this.
  19. Iamspeed

Iamspeed New Member

You should look into rooftop solar.
    Had our SE since January and total cost for charging so far is about 30 bucks.
    We only charge during the day so 100% green power. We have had to do a few charges at night in preparation for a long drive the next day hence the $30 (that's about US$20 BTW).
    Our 6kw solar powers the house too of course so we have almost zero power bills, we get a modest credit in the summer for the extra power we feed back to the grid.

MichaelC and Brooks Rogers like this.
  20. My Mom lives with me. She's 102. She's wanted rooftop solar since 1977 when President Jimmy Carter put an array on the White House. But here in Nevada the cost is still too high to warrant.

We'd love to have your set up for sure.

We use very little electricity. We have a solar oven that does a lot of our basics. All LED lights for a decade now. Our devices are new and energy efficient as well as our appliances. Our energy provider charges us $.01 per kilowatt hour from 10p - 8a, so that's when our smart washing machine and dishwasher go off.

When we put our costs for rooftop in an online calculator, the cost is way more than the energy benefits over a 10 year period. Hopefully new legislation will make an installation a lot more reasonable for us.

For those of us who have EVs for the contribution to environmental rehabilitation, solar is the only way to fly.

SameGuy likes this.
  21. Iamspeed

Iamspeed New Member

Sounds like you are doing all you can to minimise your footprint, good on you.
    So many people don't give a $hit about that. Our neighbours have their AC on 24/7, every light blaring and their pool pumps whiring away. I hate to think what their bills are like.
    we did get pretty good gov rebates to put the solar on but the feed in tariff we get is minimal. The early solar adopters got big feed in tariffs so their roof's are covered in panels and they get a cheque in the mail every month from the power Co.

22. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Aha! Thanks for spelling that out for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

23. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I’m not sure if MINI use two separate counts the way the German companies do, ie class and model. For class, we could say “hatch” ≡ “A Class” (or 1 Series, or A2, etc). The Big 3 don’t have as many sub-models in each class, though (aside from different engine and performance levels). So while an A3 and an S3 are the same class, Audi counts them as distinct models in their sales… but there aren’t more within that class. MINI has four models within each class right now.