Does the F56 paint rubbing issue affect the SE?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by SpeedyRS, Dec 2, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

h-dogg likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. moofpup

moofpup Active Member

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Because of this thread I checked out my door jamb, and it doesn't look good, there seems to be bare metal. What's weird is it feels smooth, like there's still clear coat covering it. Maybe a factory defect?

sedoor.jpg

Météore is at the dealer getting repaired, so I'm separated from my beloved SE. I was given a fully-loaded ICE loaner (Clubman S), but it's so noisy o_O. And I have to remember to actually push on the brake pedal to stop.

On the plus side, I get to experience all of the 2022 features: heated steering wheel, lane departure warning, new software (full-screen CarPlay is awesome). And it was a shock to realize ICE cars don't tell you how many gallons are left, you have to go just by the 8-segment fuel gauge. It really drives home the subtle advantage of seeing battery percent with a 1% precision.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  5. teslarati97

Probably the primer if you see metal. For ICE vehicles you get a good idea if you reset the trip meter each time after visiting the petrol station.

The door issue is still present in the 2022 models so it would be prudent to get PPF installed. I had some spare XPEL and a cricut machine handy! Also the little rubber triangle piece is floating so the PPF pattern fits behind it.

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

All fixed (under warranty!), with PPF over both door jambs. You can just make out the PPF edges on the left side and right above the black decal.

jambfixed.jpg

Matt007b, SpeedyRS, Zim and 2 others like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

Thanks for sharing the outcome. Will be on the lookout on mine no doubt!

9. Could someone share the template in PDF format? The links to the template in the Mini service bulletin that @Alf_W posted aren't active and I don't have a Cricut machine, so a plain old PDF would be greatly appreciated!

teslarati97 and insightman like this.
  10. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

Not sure if this is what you need...but here is the single page with the template as a pdf. As I recall, I printed it at 90% scale to get it to the correct size.

Attached Files:

joshf2k, Matt007b, wessy and 2 others like this.
  11. teslarati97

That's the file you need. Don't worry about getting the exact 100mm scale. You just have to be relatively close enough to fit it behind the black triangle gasket thing (that's where TOP goes).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Thanks so much @Alf_W for the file, and to @teslarati97 for the added tips! I've already got the film, so this is going to me my project for this weekend.

Matt007b and GvilleGuy like this.
  14. I'm revisiting this thread because I see early evidence of the B-Pillar paint rubbing on my 2022 (3,100 miles). Because the color is White Silver Metallic, the scratching is difficult to see unless viewed at the correct angle. What's disturbing is that a service advisor (first contact) at my dealer said that he's never heard of the issue! I can't believe that others haven't had their vehicles (SE or ICE) fixed under the guidelines of the MINI service bulletin. I've supplied photo evidence and a copy of the bulletin. I hope that I don't get push back but I'm prepared to undertake my own fix.:mad:

GvilleGuy likes this.
  15. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I don’t see any rubbing in the doorframe, but decided to add the PPF as a precaution. However, I have not been able to find any. Went to two auto parts stores today, and got the deer in the headlights look at both. Where are you’all buying your PPF?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

16. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

17. Rogwp

Rogwp Active Member Subscriber

Matt007b and SameGuy like this.
  18. Just wanted to thank everyone for bringing this topic up...another item to get soon as I get the car! That sucks the clearance is so small there.

joshf2k and Rogwp like this.
  19. turbofuzzy

turbofuzzy New Member

20. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Same happened to me at a friend’s house (who has a Maker 3).

21. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Finally got around to this today. I’ve installed plenty of vinyl on flat or moderately curved surfaces before, but this is the first time doing it with such a sticky adhesive, and on a relatively complex curve. I think it would have been less troublesome with the design from Innovative, which is scalloped at the top curve. Getting it to stay put and not lift at the outside edge while it was still floating was like wrangling cats! But it’s done.

22. I also got around to installing the door paint guard area from Innovative. I was a bit nervous at first but finally got it in place and you can hardly see it, and a very good fit. Also put on rocker panel protection/door cup handle area (behind the door handles) and again you can't even see it - nice fit and cut. I got the headlights as well and about 10 minutes into it I gave up.. that was not fitting well and the curved surface was dang near mission impossible and would of left a gap/line at the top or the bottom of the headlight assembly - that one I don't know if I would recommend to anyone. You gotta be pretty good at applying this stuff to get that one right. Finally gave up. Thanks everyone for raising this door paint issue.

Rogwp and SameGuy like this.
  23. I, too, finally got around to installing the Innovative door paint guard. It was a little frustrating but the finished product is nearly invisible. By the way, my dealer never acknowledged the problem and the official service bulletin from MINI.

Hatch, Rogwp and SameGuy like this.