The worst brake pads on SE making wheels dirty without using brakes so often?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Rexsio, Sep 17, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I usually don't go for legal warnings but take this with a bucket of salt. I called EBC USA and asked about Redstuff brakes for the Mini SE and the gentleman I spoke to did take a minute or so to come up with an answer and then seemed confident that the answer is:

Front https://www.amazon.com/EBC-Brakes-DP32056C-Redstuff-Ceramic/dp/B004JSLWJ2
    Rear https://www.amazon.com/EBC-Brakes-DP32228C-Redstuff-Ceramic/dp/B01D3TN7D6

I make no assertion that this is fact, I'm merely repeating what a representative of the company said.

• EBC Brakes USA Inc. 6180 South Pearl Street, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States 89120
    • +1 (702) 826-2400

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    DOUBLE SUCCESS - EUR1308 is the correct Akebono part number for the front. I put them on and drove around for a bit. The fronts are easier since you can just remove the bottom caliper bolt and swing the caliper up to change pads.

The driver side has the brake sensor wire, which was also super easy to remove from the old pad (pry it out with a little screwdriver) and replace on the new pad. The front and rear brake sensors each have a tiny copper clip that they fit into, then into the brake pad. Be careful not to lose those little copper clips.

Unfortunately, the front pads do not come with the caliper clips or a brake sensor wire. So if you need those, they are something extra you need to get.

@pictsidhe was correct. The front pads are for the F56 Justa Cooper. Rears are F60 Countryman. No wonder nobody knows what the SE takes.

ghost, MichaelC and Louis W like this.
  4. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Wrong rear pads. Those are F56 rear pads. We need dp32235c

5. pictsidhe

How do the Akebonos feel? I see rave reviews about almost no dust everywhere, but quite a few people don't like their lack of bite.

6. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    They definitely do not bite like the stock pads. The fronts naturally make the most difference when you put them on. Right now, they feel really weak. However with the SE especially, it's not an issue for us since the brakes are largely unused (except by DSC).

My R53 doesn't feel too bad with them on. If i remember correctly, it takes awhile for them to settle into their ultimate stopping power (which is probably lower than most other pads). But i never had a problem stopping hard when i needed to.

My son said the same thing. He had a terrible problem with dust on his BMW. He put Akebonos on and initially thought he did something wrong. The stopping power was greatly reduced. After a couple of hundred miles - i guess between getting used to hitting the brakes harder, and the pads wearing in - he said they were fine. It's a trade-off between low dust, or having the ability to lightly use the brake pedal to stop.

If having to stand on the brakes is a deal breaker for you, these are not the pads to get.

pictsidhe and Louis W like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. pictsidhe

Good report there Hatch. I may just try them on my SE. I have an R53 for my reckless driving...
    What brakes do you have in your R53? Mine started with stock ones. It had partshop cheapo pads to start with. The brakes were not really up to task. Once they needed replacement, I put R56S brakes on the front and made some 38mm Audi calipers fit the back. Thus keeping the correct brake balance. With EBC reds, best brakes I've ever had. I also have sticky summer tyres.
    My R53 is naughty car, it wants to be driven like it was stolen. Great brakes are a lot more important on that one.
    The Mini salesman tried to tell me the SEs are as much fun as an R53. I was skeptical. He was wrong. Part of my reason for getting an SE was that daily driving a ticket magnet was getting expensive, so I'm not upset.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Does the SE's stealth factor have any value in your fun calculations or do you do all your reckless driving where angry exhaust noise doesn't reach the ears of the authorities?

10. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

As they say, my mileage may differ. My '03 supercharged R53 was fun to drive, but my '22 SE matches every bit of that fun, and quietly.

11. pictsidhe

My R53 was plenty fun when it had the stock exhaust and no header. The header freed up some more ponies, though. Don't like the noise that came with it.
    One thing with the SE, I can sneak up on people. I've had a few surprised looks while passing someone who thought that they were going fast. People know when I'm passing them in the R53. They look irritated or puzzled instead of surprised.

The SE is just more civilised. Yeah, I can happily throw it around, but it doesn't buck as much as the R53. R53 has that highly addictive torque gain and supercharger whine as revs rise.
    Sorry officer, but the car made me do it!

With my butt-o-meter, I'd say the SE is quicker up to about 40mph. After that, my R53 is probably going to leave it behind, everywhere. On corners, I have sticky Yokos on my R53, so it will corner harder than my SE.

The stock Hankooks on my SE seem a good compromise between range, handling and grip, so I'm not in a hurry to change them.

The steering is a lot more accurate in the R53. I can put it exactly where I want it at speeds I'm not going to disclose. The SE is kinda twitchy at highway speeds. Sport mode helps a lot, but it's still several notches down from my R53. I have lower arm powerflex bushes on my 53 and a heavier rear sway bar, maybe that it part of it.

SE also has that nasty, nasty speed limiter, probably it's worst feature. Another reason for me to buy one.

Unfortunately, I haven't done all my reckless R53 driving away from the ears of authorities. But if I'd been in the SE, they'd have seen rather than heard me.

TLDR. The SE is definitely a fun car. But damn, matching a good R53 for fun is a very tall order.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    insightman and MichaelC like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    I totally agree, however i purchased my R53 for more style over substance. I just love the tinyness and simple look. I feel sad about how they have grown and morphed stylistically. I don't drive hard most of the time. Especially with the lowering and stretched tires, it's really a handfull. The torque steer alone has almost gotten me into trouble a few times. I still feel that in the SE, but it saves me when i'm naughty. So i don't push the R53 except now and then on smooth open road. Wow it's a little rocket. And that supercharger whine is pure music.

I have Akebono pads on the R53 also, because i had horrendous black dust on my polished aluminum wheels after just a short drive. No dust anymore. I don't test the limits of the braking. So i'm happy with the pads. I had to slam on the brakes for a deer once, and they saved me. I think it's all down to how hard you have to push the brake pedal. Otherwise, all brake pads can overcome the grip of the tires on the road. Then ABS kicks in. So i don't see friction per se as an issue. Just getting used to using a stronger braking effort with your leg.

I hate to say it, but my wife's SE would be the go-to car for me if i just want to take a drive. Not more or less fun though. Let's compare it to the difference between a mechanical bull riding machine and a jet ski. The bull is a total sensory experience. The jet ski is a driving experience with sense of speed thrown in. Two pretty different things.

14. pictsidhe

Hmmm, I have way less torque steer in my r53 than the SE.

When I first had my r53 running, I had no traction control. Add that to Walmart cheapo 175/65-15 tyres on Justa wheels and I could spin the wheels at any speed in the first three gears. A whole lotta fun, not too hard to deal with. If I turn the traction control off in the SE, it really bucks around, too much for me to want to push things on the road. With traction control working, it's fine.

I now have 15x7 Konig rewind wheels and 205/55-15 yoko v701s on my r53. They work well, wear is high, though. The justa wheels are now wearing Nokian WR-G4 tyres for winter. I like those a lot.

15. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Had them on my wife's XC90. backing out of the garage had me pucker a few times. She got used to it, I didn't. I prefer the dirt to the fear of running something over at 2 MPH. The bite is usually there after a few stabs of the pedal.

16. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

At least they don't squeal. I've had Porsche and Audi brakes that squeal loudly AND make a ton of brake dust in the process, far more than the SE.
    That said, any reduction in pollution is a great thing. Will be following this thread for my next set of brake pads (likely many years from now..) :)

Another thought, has anyone tried applying a sealant like Opti-Seal on the wheels?

17. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I've used Wheel Wax. That lets you rinse off the dust (and salt) easily. I used up all of my Wheel Wax, and the kid at the auto parts store had no idea what wheel wax was. I just applied some 303 graphene on my winter wheels. We'll see how that works.

polyphonic likes this.
  18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'd never heard of WheelWax, but they have a website and it's sold on Amazon.

19. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

It's a harder wax than regular car wax, and it holds up under the heat generated by the brakes. I was somewhat surprised that the auto parts store didn't carry it.

20. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Curious to hear how much it helps. Apparently opti-seal works great on wheels too (and virtually everything including interior surfaces aside for alcantara), so I will give that a go.

21. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

It will be a while before I change to winter wheels, but I'll let you know when I see how it works. I must admit that applying the 303 was easy (certainly easier than cleaning the winter grime).

22. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

I hear that the so called ceramic coating does a good job repelling brake dust.

23. Yes, I coated wheels within days of purchase with CarPro Deluxe and then CarPro Gliss, this makes removing the brake dust trivial. In fact, I dare say the wind helps reduce the brake dust. However, I continue to watch this thread to prevent the dust in the first place.