Tapping or Creaking Noise when coasting at low speed

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by wizziwig, Jun 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

Do you hear the same noise?

1. Yes, I hear the same noise

60 vote(s)
    69.8%
  2. No, I don't hear the noise

26 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. ENIRO

ENIRO New Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ENIRO

ENIRO New Member

Hi Tony, Shane here in NZ. I've signed the petition. It will show as Coral (wife). If you read the comments I have made it may help. I managed to read some of the information Kea had sent to the dealership that discovered the faults in our ENIRO before it was taken from my hands. They had attached it to the job sheet that they wanted me to sign. Thats why they need to replace the entire drive train.

4. ENIRO

ENIRO New Member

Hi all just to let those of you that haven’t found Tony’s petition page and read my input/thoughts on the power train faults. We have a 2019 Kea eniro first edition UK .We brought it into New Zealand brand new. It was diagnosed with motor/reduction gear fault over a month ago and we are now waiting for Kea New Zealand to ok the dealership here to begin repairs. So far Kea have indicated that they would like the motor and reduction box removed to assess what parts have failed. Kea wanted a recoding of the ticking sound an oil sample that was done first, from that they decided it was the oh to common power train fault. I found online a video of a chap removing a complete power train from an Eniro and then dismantling it to find the faults (not English) however very easy to see the bearings had failed some were broken and some with what looks like rust spots. So in my opinion the bearings were probably compromised prior to being used or manufactured wrong. So what’s been happening is the bearings have allowed slight vibrations to quietly destroy both the motor and the power train hence when they replace one of the components the slack is taken up for a short time only to return. Even some of the axel bearings looked like they had rust spots on them. Nearly forgot when I was in the dealership I was asked to sign an authorisation form attached to that was instructions from Kea outlining what to do and the possible faults contained in that was reference to bearing faults . I didn’t have time to photograph it or read it all before it was removed from my hands. Let me know what you folk think.

5. Dominica81

Dominica81 Member

My car was in the shop for 7 weeks for this fix so 2-3 sounds pretty good.

6. ENIRO

ENIRO New Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ENIRO

ENIRO New Member

Hi Dominica, this is just deciding if they will fix it. They haven’t booked it in yet.

9. In the US we have a 10 year 100k mile (about 160k km) entire drivetrain and battery warranty. This is not quite the same as full model recall, but is darn near as effective. They have a technical service bulletin issued about this problem so the repair shops know what to do. I don't know anything about the economics of a recall (it certainly stains their brand) so I don't know how much luck you will have. With the generous US guarantee, a lot of US owners will not see why to sign on.

10. I can conclusively say that I now hear the noise. It’s inconsistent, and sometimes it’s the faint I can barely make it out, and once it’s been pretty clear but it always stops after 20 or 30 seconds.

So now the question becomes, how do I get a Kia service provider to act on the technical service bulletin when they may not hear the problem at all during a test drive?

11. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

Put your phone inside the motor compartment and record it and/or take it on a test drive with a Tech.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Update on my 2019 Niro EV noisy drivetrain.

Techline has approved repairs. Local (certified electric) KIA service booked mid-August start date.

That's six months between initial complaint and start of service, for anyone counting. If you're buying a Hyundai/KIA product above MSRP - this is what you're paying for.

14. Tony Spain

Tony Spain New Member

Record the sound from inside the engine compartment and you'll find it much louder and much easier to distinguish (my recording here: https://soundcloud.com/user-603699453-276740121/kia-hyundai-ruido). Even better, if you have a camera that you can connect a remote microphone to, film the instrument panel at the same time as recording the sound from under the bonnet. That way you can see how the sound changes with the speed of the car. Also, if you pan across to the centre screen, you can film the date, time and anything that proves that it is the same car.

KiwiME likes this.
  15. Thanks for that reminder. I will try that.

16. Drop off my 2019 KIA Niro EV today for drivetrain noise repair.

My first request for service was October, 2021.

That's 10 months of foot dragging, including 2 months of waiting for KIA Techline to approve repairs covered under warranty.

17. Called this afternoon to be informed that no one has ordered the parts for TSB ELE 234 - although the appointment was made a month ago.

Techline was opened on this in May.

"It could be two days, it could be two months before the brackets arrive." I feel as if I'm spoonfeeding my repair desk.

Why did KIA bring these into the US before preparing their repair centers? It's as if nobody told them the Niro EV existed until the EV6 showed up on the showroom floor.

It's all so terribly bush league.

18. Vehicle collected yesterday, waiting for the mounting bracket to arrive.
    Service manager has stated that KIA Techline is the chokepoint and local repairs cannot begin without authorization.

EACH STEP TAKES THREE MONTHS

19. Shawn X

Shawn X New Member

I am positive my 712 motor is making the noise again. I noticed some noise late last year/early this year already, but it was very faint, on and off, and usually on cold days when the car first starts up. Now it's 80s outside and I hear it clear as day, even after half an hour of driving. It happens for both acceleration and regen. No sound when creeping (not pressing the accelerator nor brakes). The timeline for my 2019 is
    07/1?/2020 (<3,932 mi): First noticed the noise. Only for acceleration.
    07/07/2021 (21,218 mi) - Replaced 710 motor with 712. Did not replace gearbox.
    08/20/2022 (39,382 mi) - Noise again for both acceleration and braking.

If I bring it in, they'll probably replace the motor again without replacing the gearbox. I don't know if the gearbox has anything to do with the noise, but I hope they at least consider it. Does anyone else have problems with their 712 motor?

20. I sold my Niro EV over the weekend.

The car has no overt failure, never left me stranded and was satisfactory. Local KIA service recognized and confirmed the problem, KIA corporate has been the bottleneck.

A year in October since I reported a noisy motor and the *only* part KIA grudgingly sent was the motor mount bracket, this week.

Anyone that remembers the Theta II debacle should be wary.

21. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

That is bad news. I've had my 712 for over a year, over 30,000km and have not experienced any ticking noises on this one. It's disappointing to hear that others are though.

22. JohnHealey

JohnHealey New Member

23. It's visible from the right side, behind the front wheel, as sitting in the driver's seat. This one is a 710.
    [​IMG]