Thinking of moving from 2018 BMW i3 to Mini Cooper SE

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Driften, Oct 3, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

There is lag in the braking taking effect when you come off the accelerator if the battery is full. However when it does kick in it feels the same as regen.

You don’t describe your driving environment but in green mode on suburban roads (up to 55mph with lots of red light intersections) you should see upwards of 150 miles of range easily, we typically get 160-170 if we try.
    If you are cruising at more like 70mph with say a trip average of 60mph you will see more like 125 miles.

That assumes reasonable temperatures.

At 30 degrees F you will lose about 20% off both figures. Colder than that and the range loss gets worse fast as eventually the heat pump is no more efficient than a resistive heater.

Given you said you haven’t used the REX at all in your current i3, which I believe has worse battery only range than the Mini, you shouldn’t need to worry about range as you’ll have more than you currently experience.

SameGuy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Driften

Driften New Member

After a short test drive I bought my Mini SE! It was a blast to drive home. I wish it was more white then silver, but am fine with it. I don't think it's any quieter than the i3, but like the handling much better on the SE. The break regen is more like the 2014 i3, and stronger than my 2018 i3. That makes me happy. The seating is also more comfortable in the SE.
    ac8381f3c5ec358da98d31f0003b55d7x.jpg

wessy, kicksology, h-dogg and 6 others like this.
  4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Congrats!

Driften likes this.
  5. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

tire price for I 3 and SE ?.. As I own I 3 for 6 years and I was able to turn on my street with. I 3 turning radius now with SE I’m hitting a curbs all the time my rims are in ruin bc I’m missing only a car I ever own with small turning radius but with my bike I still can turn on my street without hitting a curb . DB5B2AEC-BB65-4931-82A3-4B67CD8251CA.jpeg 0D022A90-1779-4E21-9736-D012C11F1231.jpeg C3ABEFB6-C870-45B5-8EBC-17C53FD32418.jpeg C3ABEFB6-C870-45B5-8EBC-17C53FD32418.jpeg

teslarati97 likes this.
  6. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new SE.

I moved from an '18 i3 REx and I still love the SE!

Driften likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    These are what came on my car. I haven't driven on them enough yet to comment on how they feel.

Capture.JPG

9. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

That’s interesting. I just looked up the last tires I bought for the SE (Michelin Cross Climate 2, 205 size). They came to $153 each. The main issue though is tire choice, and the quality of the single all-season tire available for the i3. The 175/155 Bridgestones do not offer enough grip on the highway, or in inclement weather. I have now run three different tire models on the SE and they all worked great. Note on tire prices: they sometimes fluctuate randomly so it pays to keep an eye on them.

Edit: also shop around at Discount Tire, Tirerack, Costco, Walmart, etc. I just found Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s for $183 each at Discount Tire (205 45 R17).

Congrats! It looks fantastic! Our first MINI is white/silver. I really grew to love the color since so many other cars are either plain white or silver.
    Enjoy your SE. It’s a truly awesome little machine :D

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    Driften likes this.
  10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Instead of an i3, I'd compare the price of tires for an SE to the price of tires for a Corvette or 911, cars that try to be as much fun as an SE.

SameGuy likes this.
  11. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Rexsio gets it. After driving 12+ years of RWD vehicles in -30F weather it took awhile to adjust to the MINI.

The turning radius isn't just for U-Turns, it's for reverse parking and parallel parking as well.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    15 years driving an 8½ foot long, rear wheel drive soft top in all conditions. That thing could do a U-turn in one lane, not one street.

azausa likes this.
  14. polyphonic

Guys, it’s a Mini Cooper. It’s not that hard to maneuver.

If Rexsio is hitting curbs all the time it might be wise to stop. :)

revorg and SameGuy like this.
  15. MallowMan

MallowMan Member

I came from an i3 REX, and I was just thinking to myself today how much better the SE feels to drive. I always felt the i3 was twitchy and felt almost unstable because of its height and body roll. Having the option to adjust the regen amount on the SE is also nice. My wife can’t get used to one pedal driving, and low regen feels normal to her.

I did use the i3 back seat quite a bit, but I’m reluctant to invite adults into the backseat of the SE.

SameGuy and Driften like this.
  16. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

In all fairness he is in NYC area. Not his fault the Dutch designed Nieuw Amsterdam with narrow streets in the 1600s.

polyphonic likes this.
  17. Driften

Driften New Member

After one day of ownership of the SE it handles so much better than my i3 did. Enough that it wants be to push it harder than I've done in years. The only cars that felt like that were in my BRZ and Miatas.

I did use the back seat on the i3 about once a year but don't think I would subject an adult to the back of the SE. But the SE is my fun car, we have the Forester for for those needs.

wessy, insightman and SameGuy like this.
  18. SameGuy

YUL
    Rotfl

19. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

That suppose to be a joke hitting curbs with my wheels and a crime to destroy my beautiful rims like i3 powder coated .After 6 years no single scratch and I’m keep doing the same with SE no dents or curb rush on all my cars. FAF4FA54-1CB5-4549-96DD-C891BEF5D183.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    polyphonic and GvilleGuy like this.
  20. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

Driften likes this.
  21. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

I appreciate you saying 911, not Cayman, and noticed you omitted the Miata. Hmmm. ;) Bottom line, and a compromise; the Mini is the most fun car that has something that tries to resemble a back seat!

revorg likes this.
  22. polyphonic

I traded a Macan S for the second SE. Considered everything under the sun while the SE was being built. Including 981 Boxster/Cayman, G20 M340i, Model 3, Ioniq 5, etc. Just wanted something fun for around town. SE won by a mile.

Regarding the back seat, I only tried it out after giving some test drives in my car. Subsequently had a couple 6’+ friends in the back. Once you’re there it’s quite comfortable. Ingress/egress is a pain though.

This may be of interest: Rear sway bar : )

wessy, Tommm and SameGuy like this.
  23. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

Is there tire smoke involved with such a small turning radius?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs