2 MW solar charging station coming to Red Deer, Alberta

Discussion in 'General' started by electriceddy, Oct 6, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Cleared by Red Deer County council, the facility will be located near Queen Elizabeth II and Hwy 42.
    The site will include:
    - A 2 MW solar farm with ~ 3500 solar photovoltaic panels
    - 6 EV charging stations
    - Electric data processing onsite for digital transactions
    - Electric storage system
    - A rest area
    [​IMG]
    Local farmers also supported the project however, who likened it to growing electricity instead of plants.

“I’m a farmer. I also harvest the sun with my plants. We’re growing plants but now we’re going to grow electricity instead,” said the Kaun family.:)

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

That is a hail-prone region but I guess that's what insurance is for!

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Is this a Level 2 facility or DCFC? Will charging be free like Ann Arbor's 2 Level 2 solar charging stations at the Farmer's Market?

5. Quotes from another article indicates DC ultra fast (6x350kW = ~ 2MW) I expect it will not be "free" as the cost to construct is $5m-$10M:
    " the project which would cost $5-10 million depending on final size...
    build a six-vehicle ultra-fast charging station powered by an adjacent two-megawatt, 3,500-panel solar farm on 5.6 acres.
    It will typically take five to 15 minutes to charge a vehicle.
    “We’ll also be building one between Dallas-Forth Worth and Houston simultaneously as we have plans to take this corporation international.

“Our five-year plan is to have roughly 100 to 125 of these sites in Canada and the U.S,” ;)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
    insightman likes this.
  6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Looks like a solar farm that rezoned to allow for DC Fast charging. 3564 panels would imply something in the 550W+ bi-facial PV module range and 36 modules/group would get close to a 20kW commercial inverter at a 1:1 AC/DC ratio.

7. To remove this ad click here.