Too Light or Too Small

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by wally3, Sep 27, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. wally3

wally3 Active Member

so - early this morning i sat an intersection and realized that the cycle totally skipped me and my mini se three cycles in a row. after the first time, i pulled up a little thinking maybe i had not triggered a sensor. I think this has happened to me at this same light once before. Guessing something is not configured properly but did think that this did not occur in my acura. TBH I do know that there was recent work done on this intersection, but still was wondering if this has happened to anyone rise in their mini?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

When I first got my 1,850-lb all-aluminum gen-1 Honda Insight, I had that happen to me at one intersection in town. I complained and they must have changed a setting on the sensor, because it started working and I never had a problem after that.

At more than a ton and a half, your MINI Cooper SE is definitely not too light. I suspect a problem with the sensor.

CrazyLegs17 and CoachCookie like this.
  4. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Some intersections use an overhead sensor, not a weight sensor. (How do I know this? As an ever-exploring youth, a buddy of mine and I discovered that if both of us ran under the sensor, the light would change. We would wait until we saw a car coming, and we would trigger the red light. Ah, youth.)

I have to agree with insightman - it's not your Mini.

5. wally3

wally3 Active Member

yeah was mostly joking - i do know there are diffferent types of sensors and that’s why i shifted position in between cycles but it was super annoying to be ‘invisible’ - pretty sure i would have been seen by the red light camera!

6. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Never had an issue with coils or overhead sensors in my 8’6”-long, 1680-lb smart. Even a 350-lb dualie motorbike with a chassis a foot off the ground will trigger a coil sensor.

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. jwzimm

jwzimm Active Member

I may be wrong but the light sensors are not weight based but rather are inductive loops. (Like huge metal detectors) They look for a large metallic mass to pass over them to sense a car. It is possible the sensor at that light is just broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

CrazyLegs17, insightman and SameGuy like this.
  9. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Yup exactly, nor are they dependent on “size”; a smart fortwo or Scion/Toyota iQ easily triggers the coil, as do most motorbikes.

10. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

I've only ever had issues with a small scooter. I see plenty of other people have an issue with my nearest light. They are the ones who stop the wrong side of the line. There is no sensor there...

Hatch likes this.