The 60's are back!

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by coutinpe, Sep 24, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Thankfully the worst of Las Vegas summer seems to be over. I had a scare in July when I had to leave the car outside with 115F and found afterwards a dramatic drop on EV range, from 60-62 miles down to 45. After the peak heat passed and temps held between 100-108 the range slowly crept into the low 50's and stayed there until two days ago.I was fearing heat might had damaged some cells but with MrFixit/Lincomatic OBD reader method all cells felt OK and the battery capacity stands at 51.26 Ah. But now temps fell below 90 and voila! This is what I found when I finished charging yesterday!
    IMG-2967.jpg

Dan Albrich and leehinde like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

count me jealous. Not all of us ever see EV range like this. And good work on your hypermiling if that's what you do.

4. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Nope. Just driving at or slightly above speed limits in (mostly) flat urban areas. No rush to get to the next red light. :)

Dan Albrich likes this.
  5. JCA

JCA Active Member

What are those speed limits? I could easily see this kind of range on mostly 40-45MPH trips; not so much on 75-80MPH trips (both of which could be at the speed limit :))

Very hot temperatures could mean significatly more AC compressor use, or more drawdown from the battery cooling system, in addition to general lower efficiency at very hot temps.

6. Then there are those of us who live by Lake mead and 215. We don't get close to that range. :(

But that is about to change. We are driving to Williamsburg, VA tomorrow, staying in a rental until mid November, and moving into a new house. It's a bit flatter there than where we are now.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

Starting to get cold here, so I will be going back to the 20's...

(Most driving is hilly interstate at 75 mph)

y2kisaac likes this.
  9. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

I hear ya Bill. My typical winter range is 28 EV estimated (and pretty close to actual). The low I see in the winter is 26 or at least that was the low last year. No big deal. Love that if I do need to burn some gas, my mileage is very good.

coutinpe likes this.
  10. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Mostly 45 mph, sometimes 35, no freeway, when I have to get to the freeway I switch to HV mode. One day I forgot to do it, drove at 75-80 and range went down to low 30's. I suspect it would be both the AC and the battery, but it was funny the drop was abrupt after one day at 115F the car left a whole day under the sun, but no major change the week before when we had 110s but the car stayed most time inside the garage.

11. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Amen!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Good luck!