So what do you say, MINI is now going Vegan

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by azausa, Sep 9, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Aquavir, MichaelC and polyphonic like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. So no more nice soft leather seats?
    I guess it will be Soya and Chickpea dashboards and door panels, with Hemp seats, Linen headlining, and Rush matting? o_O

4. My personal experience owning Mercedes and Tesla “vegan leather” has been positive.

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I'm personally in favor of the "greener" change, but concerned about quality of materials used. MINI (BMW) has quality interiors, so I bet most people won't even notice the change.

Aquavir likes this.
  6. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Is look of Vegan interior on my 2014 BMW I 3 after 7 years and was wearing ver y nice no complains they use recycled plastic and renewable raw materials such as kenaf and open-pored, unbleached eucalyptus wood sourced from sustainable forests a sits they use recycled plastic bottles and wool and a leather was dyed using oil tree leaves and with a strength of a carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) passenger shells,was no need for a pillars make a car 4 doors . I hope they apply their experience to build interior of SE in the same manner I was pleased with a look and good wearing time in 7 years.As6’1” tall I was able to sit in back sits too.
    295E91FB-B4EE-4F5F-9666-830FCE70FB43.jpeg

CoachCookie, Matt007b, wessy and 3 others like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

This is particularly good news for those who live is areas of severe winter weather. If you were ever stranded in deep snow for several days, you will really appreciate the edible vegan interior of your SE.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

10. endquote

endquote Active Member

Like most "vegan leather" used in fashion, the Sensatec material appears to be petroleum-based.

Sensatec leather is a vinyl-based type of leather that is not animal based. It is made from materials like polyvinyl chloride (PVC), polyurethane (PU), or polyester microfibers​

So while it might make you feel better about killing cows, it's not really any more friendly to the environment.

GetOffYourGas and AndysComputer like this.
  11. https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/fashion/fashion-news/a30640996/vegan-leather-sustainability/
    It may be 1/3 better for the environment that animal leather, but really both are pretty bad compared to fabric.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I have no shame in eating cows, so I have no objections to using their hides as well and their meat. I am, however, slightly bothered by using petroleum for seats in an EV.

And then I remind myself that all the plastic bits are petroleum based too.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Rexsio likes this.
  14. I'm actually totally for this.. I've sat in some Toyota fake leather and it's just as soft and as nice *shrugs*