Lowest Annual Fuel Cost

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by revorg, Aug 22, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

My electricity provider Con Ed pay me 10 C a kWh as long I plug my car from 12 to 8 am as I have solar my bill for electricity is $0 as I retired to bad I don’t drive 50000 miles a year like I did for years but NY have few EV cars compare to West Coast and NY can afford free money for EV drivers to bankrupt a city on top of this if is snowing here I’m only one crazy to clean my solar panels from snow to get the most of it as my house aloud to do it simple way with bc is low roof.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
  4. SameGuy likes this.
  5. SameGuy

YUL
    I’d love to go solar but because our electricity up here isn’t from thermal sources (99.7% renewables), there are ZERO incentives or rebates from the utility. Even grid-tied solar only pays back in statement credits up to 100% of normal consumption (KWh-for-KWh).

6. Iamspeed

Iamspeed New Member

We have a 6kw solar system on our roof and we only charge during the day and days when sunny where possible.
    We've only had our SE since January but total cost to recharge has been around Aussie $30 for nearly 4000km of driving (US$21 for 2500Miles).
    We actually had a very wet overcast summer, I think we would be at $0 if we had our usual sunny weather we get most of the time.
    Luckily, solar still generates power even on a cloudy day.
    Feeling pretty happy about going electric :D

SameGuy and insightman like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Did you derate your EVSE to accommodate for the AC inverter? I'd imagine you would your DC/AC ratio is 1.2 on a 5kW AC inverter.

9. SameGuy

YUL
    I’m shocked you didn’t question “we had a wet overcast summer.” ;)

10. teslarati97

Well it's a little more complicated depending if you are in a net metering or net billing situation for solar PV. With a 6kW north facing system, it should be able to pull 2-3kW peak during wet overcast.

11. SameGuy

YUL
    Summer in Australia. December to February. [facepalm]

GetOffYourGas and teslarati97 like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Iamspeed

Iamspeed New Member

Our mini is set to accept max charge and I guess its software regulates incoming charge.
    We actually charge with the ac charger that came with the car. It charges at 8amps on our 240v system, so very sloooow charge rate.
    So the power is generated by our solar panels, converted to ac by the inverter, then converted by the car charger back to dc (I believe).
    Electricity is confusing for us dummies!

SameGuy likes this.
  14. Iamspeed

Iamspeed New Member

Yeh more like October to April here :cool:. We live in Brisbane, so similar latitude to Florida, just in the other hemisphere. Month after month of long hot sunny days. Even in (what we laughingly refer to as) winter we harvest plenty of sunlight.

SameGuy likes this.
  15. SameGuy

YUL
    Lions (premium reserved seat) member here! I know Brissie weather well. :)

16. teslarati97

That is still 133% faster than 12A @ 120V Level 1 granny charging!

17. Iamspeed

Iamspeed New Member

Time we had another 3inarow! A lot of travel from Quebec to sit in that seat isn't it?

SameGuy likes this.
  18. Iamspeed

Iamspeed New Member

Yes for sure. I guess you have a hard wired fast charger?
    I bought a 15 amp charger so that will speed things up. Just waiting for a sparky to run a 15amp circuit to our garage.

SameGuy likes this.
  19. teslarati97

I took advantage of some EVSE rebates but the requirement was hardwire. My charger is derated from 32A to 20A so solar PV + battery energy is always available.

SameGuy likes this.
  20. SameGuy

YUL
    Still waiting to find out if my Roulez-vert EVSE rebate will be approved, four weeks since I sent in the docs. I really should try to sell the BMW Flex charger.