USB port in Mini SE for music?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by tinpanalley, Sep 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Wow! After looking at the PowerAmp website it seems if one wants music-playing features, it would be tough to top this app.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ok, so clearly not an OS thing. You got it to work with a standard Android OS on a Samsung device. So my Sony Xperia shouldn't be an issue. Gonna check the formatting on the microSD card I use right now. Thank you!

UPDATE: Ok, so my card WAS formatted to exfat. Did you have any particular folder setup? I mean, was all your music in individual folders in the root? Or did you have it in "Music" or something?

UPDATE 2: To be safe, I copied out the music folders into the root directory. So ROOT -- ARTIST FOLDER, instead of ROOT -- MUSIC -- ARTIST FOLDER. It was formatted exfat, still didn't work. Now the manual does say it won't read FLAC but not all my files were FLAC so it should have read something. I will try with a USB stick, although having to convert a LOT of my music to mp3 will be a bigger nuisance than it's worth probably.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  4. At home we only listen to our huge digital database in programs and applications that let us navigate folder structures. Like a giant record shelf. In order, sorted by sections. PowerAmp has always permitted this flawlessly. Plus, you can really customise its UI not for aesthetics but for your preferred use while listening. It really can't be beat in my eyes. If I could navigate our music via Poweramp but playing out through the USB port of the car it would be great.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    insightman likes this.
  5. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    I have a music folder (along with other folders) in the root. Under music there are individual folders for each album.

By the way - when using a flash drive (or the phone, if you get it working), i am REALLY digging the iDrive control knob for navigating folder browsing (or any other vehicle function). It really feels more comfortable and less distracting, than using the touch screen.

GvilleGuy and Rogwp like this.
  6. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I’m ecosystem-agnostic, so I don’t wanna sound like one of those guys, but this whole thread reminds me of the Mac Dinosaurs ad.

Rexsio likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    It makes the sad point that Android Auto is excluded from our cars. Although what you desire above could just work fine over bluetooth correct?
    I haven't tried using my phone over bluetooth yet.

9. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    I see what you mean about Poweramp. Looks like i'll be buying it. Love it so far.

10. No question Windows in the 90s was a mess and I don't wanna start an argument on my own topic but I would still rather have an OS I can toy with to make it work than one that only lets me learn what it wants me to learn about dinosaurs and only through the software and accessories they make available to me. Conveniently organised and bug free needn't mean best equipped to handle tasks.

11. Android Auto and Apple's solution are just mirrored UI from your phone in a basic app launcher that are actually quite laggy and limit you from using the most useful features of your phone for navigation and entertainment which is probably why Android is phasing it out and why it's not longer being put in cars. The majority of car owners with some kind of smart feature in their entertainment unit end up buying a mount and using their phone anyway. The "auto software" experience is an extra unnecessary step. Like running a software loader inside Windows, or using an app to run games from on your phone. You just wanna get to the app you already use for navigation. It woul dbe more useful to let people log into their Google account in their car and have basic search and Maps built in and nothing else. I'm sure that's where it will end up.

It really is amazing and worth buying.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

14. That's exactly what I'm thinking of doing. Because, actually, the UI in the car for music and the awesome joystick/turn controller are really well designed for navigating music on folders.

15. We use an ancient iPod Classic and an iPod Touch. Album art and song name show up on the screen. Always on random and haven't tried searching.

tinpanalley and SameGuy like this.
  16. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I just pulled my 2006, 80GB iPod Photo out of the storage drawer below my aftermarket Alpine head unit before I removed it and traded in my ’06 smart. It’d been plugged in to that radio since 2007, year-round, mostly outdoors, in all conditions from -30° to +35° (and much hotter inside the closed car). Simply put, it still “just works” like the day I got it and loaded some 12,000 tunes.

That said, I much prefer simply asking Siri or Alexa to just play whatever I want them to play — not limited to my collection. Pushing the mic button on the wheel and saying, “Play Soundgarden Radio,” is infinitely easier (and safer) than using the iDrive thingy to drill recursively through thousands of folders. The old way is simply more work than I’m willing to do when I’m dropping into the driver’s seat for a quick commute. And when my mood changes, I don’t want to have to find a parking spot so that I can do it all over again.

azausa likes this.
  17. I hear ya. It's just not how we listen to music. Plus it involves having streaming services which I refuse to sign up for.

Buzzzzkil, insightman and SameGuy like this.
  18. CrazyLegs17

CrazyLegs17 New Member

Why can't MINI allow the phone to transfer album art via Bluetooth? Is that an Android interface issue? If I'm not mistaken, Car Play showed the artwork during the test drive.

19. I have no idea but I believe it has something to do with which version of Bluetooth they have installed in the car. All other metadata goes through but artwork doesn't work.
    I'm about to try a USB flash drive with two mp3 albums and two flac albums to see if flac works. If it doesn't, I'll have to just resort to bluetooth without artwork. I'm not going to set about converting 80% of my music.

20. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I test USB music with an ExFAT-formatted 256 GB SD Card via a USB reader. So really large disks work.

FLAC works, Apple Lossless does not (not surprising). My files are MP4, but I assume MP3 and WAV also play. And subfolders seem to work. In the file list below all files show up except "04 I Can Drive.m4a" which is the ALAC file (note the size).
    usbfiles.jpg
    Here's what shows up when you select the USB source.

usbselect.jpg

As shown, the FLAC file shows in the artists list.

usbartistflac.jpg

And finally, here's a song playing when searching by title. No album artwork, but it seems none of my audio files have embedded artwork. I thought I had some to test that.

usbsong.jpg

tinpanalley, MichaelC and teslarati97 like this.
  21. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I tried FLAC but there was no discernible difference on my Level 3 chip shortage non-HK speakers. :(

22. I played my USB with folders of different albums and each folder has an artwork. The SE can play each folder/album and displays the artwork.

tinpanalley likes this.
  23. Thanks for that. I did the same. FLAC and mp3 were no problem and all my album artwork showed up.
    However, I did notice something that was a bit annoying... is there no pause button for the music when listening on a USB device? I couldn't find anything, bit weird. Also it seems it just starts playing when you select USB. It doesn't just let you go to a folder before music starts.