Has anyone negotiated 2022 Bolt below MSRP?

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by promosinc, Sep 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. promosinc

promosinc New Member

I am going into the dealership tomorrow to hopefully purchase a 2022 (formerly lot-bound) Chevy Bolt EV 1LT that just received its new battery. I've had a deposit (refundable) on it for a few months. Now that the 2023 Bolts are in production, I'm wondering if anyone has successfully negotiated below MSRP - and, if so, what were your talking points?

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I haven't done this, but I should start trying pretty soon. My plan is to just tell the dealer what the highest price I'm willing to pay, and if they don't agree, move onto another dealer. I may end up having to pay a little extra for shipping, so I guess it makes sense to allow for an extra $1,000 above MSRP for local dealers.

Would love to hear how your Bolt EV acquisition process is going.

4. promosinc

promosinc New Member

Well, it's not going well, Domenick. The car was a lot-bound Bolt EV that was built on 6.4.21, so sitting on the dealer's lot for over a year awaiting its new battery. I had some concerns about possible accelerated deterioration of tires, paint, 12V battery, but I loved the Bolt EV in general. It's really perfect for me. So I went into it undecided, having no idea how it would turn out. The salesman spent most of his time during the test drive and at his desk afterward trying to talk me out of buying the car. I've been in sales and never learned a sales technique that tries to convince the buyer not to make a purchase. On the one hand, the 2022 is a bird in the hand, but with IRA 2023 could be less expensive. But so many unknowns about 2023 after Jan 1. Even if Chevy qualifies for the full $7500, if it's a non-refundable tax credit (only up to amount of individual's tax liability, I'll only get a few thousand and if Chevy hikes prices, the 2022 could have been the better deal. Other unknowns - will they stop building Bolts, constraints, etc. In the end, I did not buy the Bolt on Friday. Salesman said he can get me in a '23. I said after Jan 1. And this update - a friend sent me a link on cars.com last night showing $4,000+ additional cash back on Bolt. I went back to the dealership today asking for those incentives. Dealer said they were bogus. Even though I clicked through on cars.com to the dealer's website, he said he could not find them if he originated from his website. So I left again without the Bolt. My best offer to sell my aging Matrix expires tomorrow, so I guess no new 2022 Bolt for me. BTW, this dealer sells at MSRP without mandatory add-ons. They would not negotiate below that.

Domenick likes this.
  5. Phototrevor

Phototrevor New Member

Through a car buying service they were able to negotiate only $1000 over msrp for me which was 6-9k. Less than all the dealers I called on my own just to check. I got the 2022 euv august 31, 2022. Also when I bought the bolt I got 6300 off the top for cash purchase and 750 california rebate of some sort. I used outside financing so it counted as Cash sale to the dealership. All in all the $7000 off the top covered the taxes and the fees off my premium edition sun and sound package euv. I’m only two weeks into driving it and I’ve put 2000 miles on it, I’ve had the transmission issue warning pop up took it into the dealership and they’ve done all they can and ordered the module but the issue is gone for now. I’m loving this car and glad I pulled the trigger on mine.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    First_Bolt, Domenick and promosinc like this.
  6. promosinc

promosinc New Member

Congratulations! You did the very best you could in your local area. We don't have any state incentives in FL that I'm aware of, so you got a great deal. I envy you having that Bolt to drive. Hopefully I will have a 2023 within 6 months. Did your EUV get a new battery or was it built this year?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Phototrevor

Phototrevor New Member

It got a new battery but was built in November of 21 I believe, I’m sorry there’s no incentives there in Florida. I was thinking of waiting for the 2023 but the wait just wasn’t worth it for me. Good luck and enjoy the Bolt euv when you get it!

9. This illustrates the conundrum facing legacy car makers hoping to sell EVs - their dealerships actively discouraged sales.

It's a parasitic business model that deserves a quiet burial in an unmarked grave.

Good riddance.

SameGuy likes this.
  10. Man, it's crazy how think try to anti-sell this thing. Maybe they thought you could talk you into a gasser with better markup or something.

One side note: the new tax credit is refundable, so it doesn't matter what you do or do not owe, you get the full amount it's eligible for.

11. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

That is not my understanding. Can you provide a link to a government source like the IRS that states the tax credit if refundable?

Since you are part of the media, try calling the IRS at their media phone number 202-317-4000

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    Domenick likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. The IRA EV provisions direct refunds to *qualified buyers* on *qualified vehicles* that may be applied directly against the purchase of new EV.

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/is-now-the-right-time-to-buy.14603/page-2#post-182843

14. The original tax credit was not refundable, but the credit created to originally go in the New Green Deal (legislative package that didn't go anywhere) was refundable, and I understand that this is basically the same language.
    It's after 5:00 now, but I will definitely call this number tomorrow. Thank you very much for that.

15. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

It is still non-refundable if the Clean Vehicle Credit is under Part IV Subpart B subsection 30D. Subpart C is for refundable credits.

16. For clarification - this distinction has a time stamp.

Before January , 2023 the old rules (including manufacturers production caps) apply. GM has *no qualifying vehicles* under the old rules.

"(1) after December 31, 2021, and before the date of enactment of this Act [Aug. 16, 2022], purchased, or entered into a written binding contract to purchase, a new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle (as defined in section 30D(d)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as in effect on the day before the date of enactment of this Act), and

"(2) placed such vehicle in service on or after the date of enactment of this Act, such taxpayer may elect (at such time, and in such form and manner, as the Secretary of the Treasury, or the Secretary's delegate, may prescribe) to treat such vehicle as having been placed in service on the day before the date of enactment of this Act."

The status of GM products - purchased before the 1st of January, 2023 is *excluded* from Federal tax incentives.

17. teslarati97

GM started the phaseout back in Q2 2019 (200,000+ by end of 2018) and if you were lucky enough to cash in on the 2021 Bolt this summer, the rebates and discounts were up to $19,650 before any state tax rebates!

18. marshall

That not a refundable tax credit. All that happening here is that you don't have wait until the end of the year to get your money for overpaying. Nor do you have to reduced your withholding to get the refund dribble out over the tax year. You still must own enough taxes to use up the credit.

A refundable tax credit refunds money even if you don't own any taxes.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/refundablecredit.asp

19. INCORRECT

"Consumers that purchase a qualifying electric vehicle can continue to claim the electric vehicle tax credit on their annual tax filing. Starting in 2024, the Inflation Reduction Act establishes a mechanism that will allow car buyers to transfer the credit to dealers at the point of sale so that it can directly reduce the purchase price."

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/EV-Tax-Credit-FAQs.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwj-5dz43Jb6AhVHBzQIHdxVA_wQFnoECAkQAg&usg=AOvVaw1pCRUqfINUjeHii1MwN6Nv

20. marshall

Did you read the definition of a refundable tax credit?

You still need to own taxes in the amount of the credit you are claiming to claim the tax credit in the Inflation Reduction Act.

Nothing changed in the tax code 30D paragraph a.

All the Inflation Reduction Act does is advance the credit to the point of sale. It's not a refundable tax credit. You still must own taxes in the amount of the credit or more.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  21. marshall

HR 5376 never mentions 30D(a). As such, the bill doesn't change the wording "Qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle" to "Clean vehicle" in that section. They missed it.

22. You have repeatedly made this claim.
    I quoted the text of the IRA directly.

Where does the text of the act say "You must ow(e) taxes in the amount of the credit or more."

Have fun storming the castle.

23. teslarati97

§6401. Amounts treated as overpayments
    (a) Assessment and collection after limitation period.
    The term "overpayment" includes that part of the amount of the payment of any internal revenue tax which is assessed or collected after the expiration of the period of limitation properly applicable thereto.

(b) Excessive credits
    (1) In general

If the amount allowable as credits under subpart C of part IV of subchapter A of chapter 1 (relating to refundable credits) exceeds the tax imposed by subtitle A (reduced by the credits allowable under subparts A, B, D, and G of such part IV), the amount of such excess shall be considered an overpayment.

(2) Special rule for credit under section 33
    For purposes of paragraph (1), any credit allowed under section 33 (relating to withholding of tax on nonresident aliens and on foreign corporations) for any taxable year shall be treated as a credit allowable under subpart C of part IV of subchapter A of chapter 1 only if an election under subsection (g) or (h) of section 6013 is in effect for such taxable year. The preceding sentence shall not apply to any credit so allowed by reason of section 1446.

(c) Rule where no tax liability
    An amount paid as tax shall not be considered not to constitute an overpayment solely by reason of the fact that there was no tax liability in respect of which such amount was paid.

Again the Clean vehicle credit is under Part IV subpart B subsection 30D and not subpart C.