Hyundai Ioniq 6 revealed and....oh

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 6' started by Domenick, Jun 28, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The long-awaited production version of the Hyundai Prophecy concept -- to be known as the Ioniq 6 -- has been revealed.

I have thoughts, but I'm going to hold my tongue for a while. Would love to hear what you all think, though.

Also, there are some walkaround videos with it out today, so I'll add some below.

hyundai-ioniq-6-design-debut-passenger-side-cabin.jpg

hyundai-ioniq-6-design-debut-back-end.jpg

hyundai-ioniq-6-design-debut-profile-perspective.jpg

hyundai-ioniq-6-design-debut-front-purple-city.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The back of the car looks similar to a Porsche 911 (without the exhaust holes)
    [​IMG]
    Looks pretty streamlined and should achieve excellent range with the low co-efficiency drag:)

KarriO and Domenick like this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I won't hold my tongue. I'm surprised and impressed! I've been waiting with baited breath for this reveal. I was very skeptical that the long delay for re-styling would be successful. I was wrong. It's not the Prophecy concept, but it's the prettiest Hyundai and better looking than a Model 3, IMHO.

Does Kia get to have an electric car, too?

Robert Siple, GvilleGuy and Domenick like this.
  5. Drag coefficient of 0.21, up to 230 kw of power c/w 515 km range using a 77 kWh battery pack.

"The end result is a drag coefficient of just 0.21. Cars don’t get much slipperier through the air than that, the 0.20Cd EQS notwithstanding.
    rumoured specifications for the Ioniq 6 were obtained by The Korean Car Blog in February 2022. The Ioniq 6 will reportedly offer up to 230kW of power and 515km of range, using a 77kWh lithium-ion battery."
    Source:
    2023 Hyundai Ioniq 6, aero-friendly EV revealed | The West Australian

KarriO and Domenick like this.
  6. Great to hear positive feedback! Also, great point about a Kia sedan. I can't think of a concept for a sedan that they've shown in the past couple years. Maybe I've forgotten something.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. There's some walkaround videos out from some great channels, so this is as good a place to share as any.

KarriO, Robert Siple and electriceddy like this.
  9. Interesting locations for the charge status lighting, one on the front lower bumper and additionally on the center of the steering wheel itself. It appears the design staff worked a little overtime on this one...nice.

Domenick likes this.
  10. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

I love it. My wife likes the new Elantra. I told her forget about that and get this instead. I have an Ioniq 5 on preorder, I think Hyundai are doing great things with their E-GMP platform.

electriceddy and Domenick like this.
  11. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

With the impressive aerodynamics and charging speeds of eGMP, this thing is going to be an absolute road trip monster. I can see this being the perfect compliment to my Mini SE. The styling isn’t as sexy as the Prophecy, but I like it. I only wish it had a liftback.

Domenick likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

Hyundai's designer has hinted at a shooting brake version (although it would retain the 4 doors, unlike a true shooting brake design). That would have hatch in the back.

Domenick likes this.
  14. Robert Siple

Robert Siple New Member

I've seen all of these. Multiple times! I need more!

Seriously though, I am super impressed with this car. Have you seen the car in its purple paint? I think it was on TFLEV.

Domenick likes this.
  15. This is a pretty great video, thanks for bringing it up. I've watched half so far and it's a great talk with a designer who speaks in accessible language, and with a deep knowledge of the product.

Robert Siple likes this.
  16. KarriO

KarriO New Member

I'm going to add this to the list of walkaround videos of the Ioniq6:

It's shot by a Korean guy @ BEXCO in Busan, Korea and it shows a detailed walkthrough of the interior and exterior of the car. Personally I think it's an impressive EV sedan with a great aerodynamic profile. I don't find it the most original looking car though - I agree with the above that it shares something with the Porsche 911 and Taycan, or even the Tesla Model S - and the interior, like the screens, dash, and controls are very similar to the Ioniq5. Nevertheless, I think it'll be great to see these on the road - perhaps sometime in 2024-2025?

Domenick and insightman like this.
  17. insightman

Thanks for posting that very complete walk-around! Can't wait for the road tests.

My favorite observation was how Hyundai chose the angle of the lights to be happy rather than aggressive. I don't believe the body's design didn't involve extensive time in the wind-tunnel--no car gets to 0.21 cD using just eyeballs and intuition.

As always, I'm amazed that Hyundai would even make a new EV car these days. They must know what US manufacturers don't realize: there are still people (like me) who don't want an SUV. I'd consider an Ioniq6 if my 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV wasn't so comfortable and practical (and paid-for).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    KarriO likes this.
  18. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Personally I'd be willing to sacrifice some aerodynamics for roof rails. That way I could fit a 15 foot canoe or a roof top tent.

KarriO likes this.
  19. insightman

Maybe Yakima will make a WhispBar for the I6.

20. KarriO

KarriO New Member

Good points! And I agree it’ll be great to have another sedan EV in the market in addition to the compact crossovers and SUVs.

insightman likes this.