Understanding Charging on a RAV4 Prime

Discussion in 'Rav4 Prime' started by Cyclonesteve, Dec 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Cyclonesteve

Cyclonesteve New Member

I'm thinking of getting a Prime but I know very little about charging and I'm trying to find a reliable source of information.

The truth as I know it: (or think I know)
    If you get an SE, you install a special 120v 3.3kw charger outlet (charges in 12 hours)
    OR you install a special 240v 3.3kw charger outlet (charges in 4.5 hours)
    If you get an XSE, you install a 240v 6.6kw charger outlet. (charges in 2.5 hours)

Questions:
    Is my assumption for the SE charger correct or is it just one charger with a 120v/240v switch that can go back and forth depending on your preference?

If you visit someone without a special plug-in, just a regular outlet, is there a way to trickle charge your vehicle? (with an adapter or something)

If you have an XSE and you visit someone with an SE, can you charge with their setup? (either 120v or 240v)

If I get an XSE and someone with an SE visits, can they use MY charging plug-in?

When driving more than 42 miles, does the engine ever start to charge the battery?

Are the commercial charging stations I see at gas stations typically compatible with all three charging possibilities?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

high level overview:
    Regardless of which Rav4 Prime you get they all can charge at 120v or 240v.

The charger is built into the car. Depending on which model you get you may get the built in charger that can handle up to 3.3 KW input or up to 6.6KW input.

The special cord that you connect to your vehicle is called an EVSE. They come in different ratings as well and can handle up to certain amounts such as 3.3 KW or 6.6 KW.

The onboard car charger and EVSE will communicate with each other to charge up to the best possible rate they can both can handle.

Generally speaking the EVSE cord will either be hardwired or plugged into an outlet capable of supplying the EVSE cord with the appropriate power.

So a 6.6 KW car can always accept at a lower rate of 3.3 KW and a 6.6 KW EVSE can provide the lower rate of 3.3 KW. It all works together fine.

The car will accept up to the most it can accept and the EVSE will provide up to most it can provide. Both can provide less to accommodate the other.

4. NoGoodAtScreenNames

NoGoodAtScreenNames New Member

Agree with the prior comment. I’d add that to charge at 240v at the higher amperage that nets 6.6kw you need the XSE with the premium package aka the highest possible trim level. There is no difference between the SE and the XSE standard trim for charging - at least in the US. I think Canada may have the 6.6kw charger on the regular XSE to help charging / preconditioning during cold weather.

The Gadgeteer likes this.
  5. Michael Barrows

Michael Barrows New Member

Could I charge a RAV 4 SE with a Level 2 - 240 volt Grizzl-E Avalanche EVSE set at 32A? I have this already installed in my garage. It has a J 1772 connector on the charging cable.

6. NoGoodAtScreenNames

NoGoodAtScreenNames New Member

Yes but it will charge at a max amperage of 16 (3.3kw) per hour. AN EV and an EVSE always negotiate the lowest amperage that either can accept / provide.

Cindy B likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.