Shifter, love it? hate it? don't care?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Ericwc, Aug 11, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Indeed!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Well, MINI owners won't have the console shifter to complain about much longer. The Motoring File reports:
    "The automatic transmission gear lever is now going to be on the dash and next to it the return of a twist to start rather than a button."

I've always wondered what to call our SE's starter. Is it a switch, a lever, or a button?

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

It's identical to the ICE models except color, but it doesn't start an engine, just turns on the SE. I'm no mechanical engineer, but isn't it a toggle since it snaps back to original position?

5. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I was going to say momentary on toggle switch but you can flip up or press down and it still works. Does that makes it an "on-off-on momentary" toggle switch then?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    insightman likes this.
  6. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Yes.
    • It has a form factor of a toggle switch.
    • It operates by moving it like a lever.
    • The owner's manual calls it the "Start/Stop Button".

GetOffYourGas and insightman like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CruiseEV22

CruiseEV22 New Member

I had the same thought that it was software related, but haven’t had time to fiddle with BimmerCode. Since I haven’t noticed any odd driving behavior, I’ll skip the visit to the dealer for now. Let me know if the hardware replacement resolves the issue. Thanks!

9. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

In my simple advise if you play with bimercode you try outsmart BMW billion dollar manufacturers you not improve your Se much but you scrue up factory setting which is optimal for cheap car in 6 years my i3 I did nothing to improve a car and car was working perfectly is not ACE car to do upgrades make more powerful or else

10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My Clubman (R55) is in for service, and I've got an F54 Clubman loaner. The shifter feels annoying compared to the SE's, although my R55's shifter is fine. So I guess the SE's shifter is better than what MINI had before in the F generation, although I don't remember my 2015 Hardtop shifter being so bad.

11. MiniCoopr71

MiniCoopr71 New Member

Count me as a third data point of this issue. 1 month and 500 miles on my '23 SE Signature and I got the same error on startup this weekend, and it hasn't cleared in the 3 trips I've made since. Doesn't affect driveability but the reminder on startup and warning symbol on the dash are annoying. Curious as to whether the hardware is needed for a fix by the dealer. I also have the loose active shutters issue so at this point maybe I'll schedule a service call.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MiniCoopr71

MiniCoopr71 New Member

Just an update in case anyone else suffers from the 'Shift Unlock Button' error. It finally cleared for me after 5 days and about 15 trips. Didn't do anything to fix it, it just decided to start working normally again. So now I have to decide if I want to make a service call just for the active shutter fix.

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Heed the ancient wisdom of Microsoft Word:

upload_2022-9-1_17-44-36.png

15. CruiseEV22

CruiseEV22 New Member

Mine finally cleared today without me taking any action. Took almost a month, but its back to normal operation.

16. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

A long flathead screwdriver and removing (2) 8mm bolts is all it takes.