EV Range

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by dana, Jun 6, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. dana

dana Member

With the warmer weather and 100% battery charge, my Clarity's EV range was at least 52 miles. But the last two 100% charges have only raised the EV range to 42 miles.
    If this has happened to you, please explain problem and resolution.
    Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

We don’t have enough experience yet with our Clarity to offer Clarity-specific ideas to improve the EV range, but we’ve had a year’s worth of experience with a Fusion PHEV and can say that driving style is the big factor. Was there something different about where/how/who for driving in the last 2 drive/charge cycles? Our Clarity EV range has been steadily improving and hit 66 miles last charge.

ClarityDoc likes this.
  4. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Please comment on your driving speeds the last few fill ups? If you are driving highway speeds 42 miles might be normal.

The car has a 47 mile range for a very specific EPA test. Real world will be more or less than that depending on how you drive.

The only time to worry is if your range drops for the same exact conditions. Cold or hot weather can reduce range too.

5. KenG

KenG Member

Drive over 65 for extended times....loose 10 points....

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. LAF

LAF Active Member

My sense is the car estimates how many miles from your previous driving experience. We drive almost all locally and the estimate each day is ~65 miles. But when we go for short periods on the highway in EV you can see the milage left on the battery drops faster than actual miles driven. Then the next morning the estimate is less.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rajiv Vaidyanathan

Rajiv Vaidyanathan Active Member

Yes, I have had this same problem. I was regularly getting 55+ reported EV range. Suddenly, the last week or two, a full charge reports ranges in the mid to high 40s. I have no explanation, though. So sorry for taking up forum space.

9. Viking79

I am wanting to get at it it is a bug or just display/change of driving style or some fault with the battery or something. Is your actual range any different?

10. Rajiv Vaidyanathan

My actual range seems to be in the low to mid 50s. But, a couple of weeks ago, I was getting in the low 60s.

11. Viking79

Any other change, faster speeds, warmer temps requiring battery cooling, or something?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rajiv Vaidyanathan

Yes, frankly I haven't been too worried about it given the vast number of variables that have been changing. We have had variable temperatures and I actually switched BACK to a lot of ECON mode driving after spending most of my EV time in Sport mode.

I had taken the car in to the Honda dealership after I ran into the "Plug-In System Charging Problem" with the ChargePoint charger at work. After the visit to the dealership, my HV range mysteriously dropped from 494 miles to 357 miles with little to no ICE usage (still have a full tank) and then I noticed the lower EV ranges. So, I have no idea what they did at the dealership, but it is possible that some of their testing messed around with the reporting of EV and HV ranges.

14. dana

dana Member

Thanks for all your replies. We traveled over 600 miles over the weekend and, for the first time, used some EV miles on the interstate.
    Viking 79 "If you are driving highway speeds 42 miles might be normal." KenG "Drive over 65 for extended times....loose 10 points...." I believe you two have answered my question.
    After opening thread, I made an appointment with local Honda dealer. It will be interesting to hear their take.
    Thanks again.

15. Viking79

To Rajiv,

They likely reset something to see if it would clear issue. ChargePoint commercial chargers are a known issue with the Clarity, I think it is car side issue though.

My i3 keeps separate range estimates for different driving modes, so maybe if you switch back to sport the range estimate would be different? I will have to check the Clarity later.

16. Schaffer970

Schaffer970 New Member

This was my EV range the other day after charging. I only wish I could get 84 miles. Yes, the range is based on earlier driving conditions The 84 was based on my going to the mountains using the battery up and then coasting down (recharging) making it home with just a bit of charge left.
    20180603_110139.jpg

AndyBA likes this.
  17. M.M.

M.M. Active Member

I never really pay attention to the predicted EV range; it's at best a general idea, and isn't averaged over a long enough period to be at all accurate.

I usually get a little over 40 miles if most of my driving is at 60-65mph on the freeway (which is about what I expected) and have seen a bit over 50 if by coincidence all my driving is under 50mph. I live in a moderately hilly area with either freeways or a lot of stop signs, so I've never personally seen EV ranges way over 50 like some people here.

18. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

This is sorry of EV Range related...

We are on a trip. Started out with 47 miles of EV Range. Drove EV for about 5 miles, then entered the freeway and switched to HV. I expected the car to bleed off battery power little by little until it has dropped to 58% charged. But that didn't happen. The car maintained the charge level at about 40 miles estimated while we drove at 75mph on the straight and level highway. After 227 miles it still shows 40 EV miles.

20180609_152736.jpg

19. K8QM

K8QM Active Member

That's the behavior I've always seen although in hilly terrain the EV range may drop 3 or 4 miles and slowly build back up. I actually like that it works that way since I typically save the EV for city driving at the end of my trip.

geo