Today's GOM

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by leehinde, Aug 28, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

Not bad for a two year old car. upload_2022-8-28_17-0-15.jpeg

gedwin likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Not sure I've ever seen above 50...

4. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Not saying you did this. But if you simply want to fake a high GOM, go up a steep hill with HV mode, then let EV recover the downhill.
    I live on a steep hill, so I can make my GOM as high as I want using this method. But it isn't real.

Now if you are seeing a high GOM after not using HV at all (all EV usage), that is likely a real reading.
    Never gonna happen on my Clarity. High of 43 EV miles period. In the winter time, my high is 26 miles EV. YMMV,

-Dan

5. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

Most of my driving is around town, running errands. All flat.

6. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I m getting 50-51 this entire summer on my 08 :)

leehinde likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Very clever of you to get 50-51 miles with your '08 when that was 10 years before the Clarity was introduced :confused:

lionround and insightman like this.
  9. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I meant '18. So I am off by a decade :D I tend to do that too when people ask me for my age!

leehinde likes this.
  10. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

My recent high on my 4 year old 63,000 mile car. I can't cheat since I live in flat Florida. I just drive 35-50 most of the time. IMG_8800.jpg

gedwin, insightman and leehinde like this.
  11. gedwin

gedwin Member

And with A/C set to minimum no less, impressive!

I am somewhat surprised that your HV number is very moderate, at 287. You would think the two would tie together, since it is (almost) always electricity moving the car. The EV number suggests extreme efficiency, so it shouldn’t seem to matter whether the electrons came from an external charge or from gas running the on-board generator. But I may not be thinking about this correctly….I’m sure someone will tell me if so.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MrFixit

I dunno, so I won't attempt to correct your thinking !!

Isn't there an analogy here that's kind of like the Highway miles vs. City miles with a conventional vehicle? @David Towle is getting VERY good EV range because he is puttering around in the 'city' with low speeds an a lot of stop and go. The electric performance thrives in this type of environment. If, however, you operate in HV then it is a terrible way to operate an ICE engine. The engine has an operating point that is well away from it's most efficient. Yes, the vehicle is still driven by the traction motor on electricity, but that electricity is obtained very inefficiently from the poor ICE that would prefer to operate at it's maximum efficiency point with constant (and high) RPM's...

I'm not sure that the "HV" GOM is smart enough to account for all this, but maybe it is?

gedwin likes this.
  14. gedwin

gedwin Member

Yeah, I guess I was thinking that HV and EV predictions would be based on some underlying efficiency measure from recent driving. But, it maybe is more likely that EV and HV calculations are completely independent of each other. In that case, it is possible, for example, that HV prediction could be from driving you did six months ago if you have been all EV since then.

Sorry, not trying for a GOM thread-hijacking. So, I’ll end with congratulating again on the 70 number. I have been getting mid 50s this summer on a 3-year old 2019, and I had been feeling good about that until I saw these numbers from others

MrFixit likes this.
  15. MrFixit

Yes, I have never gotten anything close to this under any condition I have experienced. I think the highest I can remember is perhaps 56-58. Currently I get 50 consistently (with the A/C always on) - 2018 with ~34K miles.

leehinde likes this.
  16. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

I traded in my 2008 (;)) after a little over two years in Sept. 2020 and I wasn't getting much better than the high 40s. I'm guessing my Covid-era driving habits are different enough from the before times to account for the difference. The (almost) 58 I posted is a current record, but I've been averaging around 51-54 for most of the summer. A/C use is intermittent as, typically, the early mornings (dog park run) and later evenings (dinner, visits) don't require A/C. Otherwise, it's A/C full-tilt. :) I always run in Sport mode, to lock in the regen, but I appreciate the car being a little more sprightly.

17. HV Range is gas range. EV range is electric range. Combine the two and Total range is 358. We can’t see the fuel gauge, but note that the gauge for HV Range is down a notch from full. A range of 287 miles on 7 gallons of gas equals 41mpg. Right on target.

David Towle likes this.
  18. Temp is set to “Lo”, but can we determine from the photo that the A/C is “On”?

David Towle and gedwin like this.
  19. gedwin

gedwin Member

I will clarify. My point was exactly that I found it surprising that HV would be “right on target” while EV is clearly not right on target. In my experience the two go together, generally. For example, and roughly speaking, I get 260-270 for HV in winter when I get 35/40 for EV, and in summer I get 310-320 for HV and 50-55 for EV. There is some loose correlation because the car can operate at some particular level of efficiency whether in EV or HV. So, again, the interesting thing to me was seeing such a high EV range with a moderate/expected HV range. I later posted that I realized that HV may not necessarily be reflecting recent driving, as I had originally (and wrongly?) been thinking the EV and HV range estimates were algorithmically tied together.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  20. The only correlation is that the car is operating more efficiently in both modes during the summer. EV and HV are 2 separate modes. EV range, actual or estimated, is determined while operating the car on battery power. HV range is determined while operating the car in Hybrid mode.

If you always drive 80mph in EV mode, you will have a very low EV range estimate. If you always drive 55mph in HV mode, you will have a high HV range estimate. There’s no connection between the two.

David Towle likes this.
  21. David Towle

NO! Not that impressive. It shows Low but I keep the AC button itself switched off. I only use AC when on the highway, or when my wife is in the car. Windows down around town is fine for me.

22. David Towle

The HV/EV estimates are very separate. I do all around town driving on EV with no AC. When I go on the highway its almost always longer distance that requires gas/HV, and at much higher/less efficient speed, and I use AC on the highway so the HV estimate is not impressive. Landshark you did a great job figuring most of this out from just the info on the display!

23. David Towle

I use the temp set to Low and AC off to avoid ever having the heat come on on a cool morning. I do wish the heat had an on/off button like the AC does so I couldn't accidentally use heat.

gedwin likes this.