Is an EV MINI really a MINI?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Aquavir, Aug 20, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Market is cooling in pre owned. Floor plans are mostly financed and rates are rising. Lots of dealers will be stuck with stuff throughout the winter here unless they decide to unload at auction. Carrying anything over 90 days is a issue for dealers.

Russ Wilcox likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

I, for one, abandoned my penchant for Jeeps with big V-8's when it reached $80 to refill the gas tank. I bought a MINI SE, after having also owned at various times lots of different vehicles -- from non-MINI BMWs to Mercedes to Ford to Mercury to (gasp, I hate to admit it) Cadillac. While my core needs from a vehicle have undoubtedly changed over the years, I have to say that the MINI SE is probably the best (and "funnest" to drive) car I have ever owned.

That said, this one may be my last MINI SE, as I am unlikely to purchase one manufactured in the PRC. Hopefully, there will eventully be a free trade agreement with the post-Brexit UK to allow BMW to continue to supply the North American market with Oxford-built MINI SEs.

4. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Well, IMHO BMW better start planning an exit from the PRC (and Great Wall Motor), especially if they want to serve the North American market.

BTW, China already has big problems coming up with sufficient electricity to charge EVs, even though EVs are still a rather small (but still substantial) % of the overall vehicle market there. Many people there who can afford an EV live in high-rise buildings and must use public-charging during hours they are awake, which has put a bubble of demand on their grid.

insightman and SameGuy like this.
  5. MrSnrub

I won’t be purchasing a Mini built in China. However I’d purchase a Volvo built there. The Polestar 2 seems like a fantastic car.. I’ll find out next month on vacation in Switzerland. I’d also go for an MG if they were offered here

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It appears the MINI Cooper SE won't be only sporty EV forever. The Polestar 6 might be a nice weekend alternative.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MrSnrub

My ICE BMW will always be my weekend car

9. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Polestar 6 in 2026 for $200000 as weekend driver I always take a Porsche Taycan turbo S with lower range over any weekend driver and as Polestar used for $60000 I buy 3 SEs different colors for every second day to drive them with my rebates and price $ 22500 I buy one second one for myself and one for my Cat Logan to utilize my rebates . A2A46813-B2AD-4E9E-B78F-83D79131B27B.jpeg

10. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

The Polestar 6 is very intriguing, but it will never be available for $22,500. That price point is, or was, truly the genius of MINI.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Texas22Step, SameGuy and insightman like this.
  11. insightman

Let Logan have the old one.

upload_2022-8-27_0-21-49.png

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I really appreciate what you did to insert cat into my SE .Computers is not my think at all.That picture was send to all my friends .Thanks

wessy, Tommm and insightman like this.
  14. insightman

I was lucky you took the photos of your lovely SE and the handsome Logan at roughly the same angle.

Rexsio likes this.
  15. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

insightman, MichaelC, Aquavir and 2 others like this.
  16. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I can't believe I've never seen that two year-old video, I really liked it.

Random observations:
    • Is "F56 BEV" really stamped on the underside of all SEs?
    • "Crucifix wheels" (interesting perspective on Power Spoke wheels)
    • "MINI doesn't expect to sell a lot of these."
    • "It has the right amount of torque at any miles per hour."
    • "It really is great."

polyphonic and MichaelC like this.
  17. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I love the part where he expected it to be a gimmick and then ended up gushing over it for the rest of the video.

Harry Metcalfe (Harry's Garage) has a good video too, in case you haven't seen that one.

Sounds like they are selling way beyond expectations. We have two in the family with one on a boat right now. At this point I intend to take it with or without the credit.

Funnily enough I ended up driving a Taycan on a few occasions and always seemed to conclude "yeah, it's good, but..." whereas the SE is like "holy cow this little thing rips!" Instant smiles on faces, every trip has been a joy.

18. CillaM

CillaM New Member

I'm a virgin Mini owner and a 20+-year BMW driver. When I heard that Mini was coming out with an electric version, I signed up for notifications (none of which ever arrived). Finally, after selling the BMW, crawling through the worst of the pandemic, and having moved to Arizona, I decided to replace the BMW with a new car, preferably electric. Mini was only one of the cars I planned to test drive (finally! available here!). I tried it first (gas version; no electrics available for test) and fell in love with the Mini aesthetic and handling supported by all the BMW touches I was already familiar with. I got lucky and was able to pick up a canceled contract for the exact car I would have ordered. Sir Jackie arrived in December 2021. I would look with disdain at anyone who might suggest that Sir Jackie is any kind of lesser Mini because he's electric. I would suggest a bit of passive jealousy from anyone trying to make me feel deprived because of his limited range (I never come close to maxing out, and I drive every day). I love driving this car, and for me, that's what the Mini is about.

Minicris, Texas22Step, revorg and 6 others like this.
  19. MrSnrub

My neighbour has a Taycan and it’s been really plagued with issues. I love it and was at the launch event but connecting an iPhone and it turns off doesn’t sound like fun. Also the roads Harry was driving on are near Burford Oxfordshire(we spend lots of time there) Think clarksons farm. Those roads are proper for all conditions

My dealer let us drive the SE for extended periods and after the first 5 mins we were sold. The second time we went it was just to confirm the order and drive for giggles again. That’s how good of a car it is

Rogwp, polyphonic, insightman and 2 others like this.
  20. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Explain that the MINI SE does NOT have limited range; it has ideal range. It’s a city car, it’s the only BEV city car (in the US). BMW has hit a home run with the SE. Even w/o the tax credit it’s still a great car.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

21. Almostseb

Almostseb New Member

CillaM likes this.
  22. Almostseb

Almostseb New Member

If one is using it for its intended purpose as you point out, I completely agree. It iunfortunate for those who would find it perfect but just need a bit more range because of our personal new case.

23. insightman

@Almostseb, you've identified the case for having the more practical car instead the more fun/less-expensive to operate car.

[Hint on replying on this forum: Click reply, then type your reply below the opensquarebracket/QUOTEclosesquarebracket line.]