JCW Rear Spoiler

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by JonR, Aug 23, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I've purchased a couple of items from OutMotoring in the past, and have been impressed by the answers to questions I've had and the speed at which the items were delivered. The JCW spoiler looks nice, but I'm not sure that it would divert enough airflow to keep the rear window clean (and the rear window does get dirty fast). I would hate to invest that kind of cash and installation time without some proof that it works as you wish. Any JCW owners out there?

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I bet if I replaced my antenna with a pinwheel my hatch would probably be cleaner than it usually is. My SE's rear end gets dirty faster than any other hatchback I've ever owned. If that good-looking wing helps keep the hatch clean, it's probably a good trade-off vs maximum range. And it's a natural for your enhanced SE. Still, it would be nice to know how big of a hit on range it will make. Does it require drilling holes?

5. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I think it'll make zero noticable difference to both range and hatch dirt (not enough airflow or angle), it's on the JCW primarily for style.

The back of all hatches is a giant negative pressure zone which causes the dirt accumulation. It also cause a significant portion of the aerodynamic drag so if there was an easy solution to reduce that negative pressure the engineers would have done it.

AndysComputer, insightman and chrunck like this.
  6. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I've had several vans in my checkered auto-career, and they all collected dirt in the back. I was hoping that the flat surface of the battery would allow better airflow underneath the SE (like a diffuser), but, alas, not so.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I found that the S has a coefficient of drag of .31 while the JCW, with that wing above, is .34. So, it appears that there is a negative impact to drag from that wing. I also found that the SE is .30 and that is pretty bad already compared to other EV cars.

I guess I'll stick with my original rear wing.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage/286689-the-differences-f56-jcw-vs-cooper-s-2.html
    https://www.evspecifications.com/en/model/1e56ca
    https://www.mpgomatic.com/2022/03/30/electric_vehicle_aerodynamics_list/

insightman likes this.
  9. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised at the drag for the SE. It's basically a brick, with a few changes, and an older body design. Some of the other EV's are fresh-sheet designs.

10. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

11. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

The JCW has other changes besides the wing, the front bumper and wheels seem like they'd make up most of that difference (my higher offset more open aftermarket wheels cost me ~5mi of range)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

I sometimes wonder if Jessie (the SE), like the Porsche 928, is more aerodynamic going backward than forward.

14. insightman

For 20 years, my gen-1 Insights' cD was 0.25 and it had a very small frontal area with a tapered rear end. In the past 729 days I've learned it's not a low cD that makes a car more fun to drive.

GetOffYourGas, ghost and MichaelC like this.
  15. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

That's true. The speeds that really require a low cD are almost unobtainable in most civilized areas. All of my fun driving a brick largely designed in the 1950's is done below 50mph, and fun at higher speeds (while certainly possible) is asking for legal trouble. And my reflexes are too slow for the track.

16. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow."

Source: 16 year old me drifting my RWD '79 Volare wagon on dirt roads and in the snow.

azausa, ghost, GetOffYourGas and 2 others like this.
  17. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

This reminds me of a commentator for a classic Mini goodwood race describing the aero of the mini as being “about that of a brick outhouse”. Gets me every time!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

18. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Okay, I freely admit that I've liked Minis since the beginning, and I'm glad that MINIs pay homage to the original. Which was a BRICK. And Paddy showed everyone how much fun it was to drive. Yeah, we could clean up the design and make it F1 aero, but then it wouldn't be a Mini.

19. insightman

I'm suspicious of the unnecessarily streamlined windshield angle on the 2024 MINI Cooper SE.

revorg likes this.
  20. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

When they streamline the mini so it is more aerodynamic it will look like a Countacn. Then we will bytch it doesn't look like a Mini.

If we are lucky it will look like this with its bugeye sprite headlights.
    Screenshot_20220827-173910_Google.jpg

revorg and insightman like this.
  21. neechi

neechi New Member

Curious - has anyone tried installing this on the SE? I don't mind a 5-10 mile range hit on from it but feel like it won't be that high. Love the look however

22. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

Personally, I like the wing on the MINI Electric Pacesetter:
    MINI Electric Pacesetter to become Official FIA Formula E Safety Car | FIA Formula E

Each year, as a ham radio operator, I provide communications at an ms150 rally. (Bike MS: Official Fundraising Events Supporting the National MS Society (donordrive.com)). For the past few years, I've been in the tail end, following the last rider. If my SE arrives on time (and the SE doesn't generate to much RFI), and I can find DCFCs near the start and finish, both days, I'd consider taking the SE. But with the SE, I could really use a bigger light bar.

What do you think the range of the SE would be going only 10mph?

23. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I enjoy how serendipitous it is that the center divot makes it look more sporty, while it is in fact just there so the spoiler doesn’t take out the aerial. Lol.