Repair issues and fixes

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Francois, Oct 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I am going with the 3/4 inch by 1/8 inch neodymium dual magnet external mount (@navguy12 design). I am ordering two regular steel Hyundai plugs- are they( the fill and drain) the same part# 00810-17121? and do you think 2 would do the job ?
    I ordered a pack of 5 and they arrived yesterday. My plan is to order 2 original plugs and 2 liters of 00232-19063 oil, pick them up, attach the 2 magnets to each plug with Scotch 414DC-SFEF mounting tape, then take the car in to have it changed in about a month while having the 2 year check and brake lubrication service done. I figure if I have the new plugs ready and hand them to the service dept, it will make it easier, than trying to fit them on the oily old ones. I will request (this time) to have the leftover gearbox oil (.9 liters) and the old plugs, (including the old oil in a container I will provide) returned to me...this will be the second change...first @ 8,699 kms, car now at 13,380 kms, should be ~ 14,000 kms when that 2nd check is due.
    Thanks for your time and advice @KiwiME and @navguy12 ;)
    Edit, I opened the parcel and discovered they sent me 5 containers, I thought each magnet was in separate container, but low and behold there are 5 magnets in each container! So after this is done...anyone LOCAL can PM me for a good deal, say $10 a magnet instead of $13.40, I should have enough to do 4 other Kona EVs if dual magnets are good enough (leaving me a few spares in case they get lost) this will help fund the oil change:D

Floydian, navguy12 and KiwiME like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I’m not sure that tape is needed as the magnets I have are very strong with 2 on each plug.
    The OEM drain and fill plugs are identical parts.

electriceddy and 22kona like this.
  4. Thanks for that confirmation on the identical plugs.
    They looked the same in @navguy12 pictures:
    Fill
    [​IMG]
    Drain
    [​IMG]
    But I just wanted to be sure.
    As it turns out, the dealer had to use my original oil change part# to order two new plugs as that is not a stocking item and there was little to no reference to them on their online manuals, 00810-17121 - the magnetic (NON magnetic) ones:
    [​IMG]
    What surprised me the most was they do now stock the 70W GL4 (00232-19063) so I was able to pick those 2 up right away.
    Not sure if the reason for now stocking this oil is a chain reaction from threads like these (it's all your fault @KiwiME;)), or if the demand is up from GDU assembly replacement regarding the TSB,
    The plugs should arrive next week. I also got a discount on the oil ($50 instead of $63) as the plugs increased to $8.13 each from $4.56 original.

navguy12 and KiwiME like this.
  5. I'll just mention that trying to fit a socket over one of those plugs while the magnets are fitted is quite challenging!

navguy12 likes this.
  6. And some interesting news ... a new US-based owner has added magnets (from under the hood) at 1500 miles and sent a photo of the OEM plugs - note they're a different style!
    upload_2022-8-20_8-49-27.png

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Is that because of the magnetic attraction to the steel socket or is clearance for the socket with the magnets attached the issue. I certainly don't want to cause any frustration for the mechanic at Hyundai who will be changing the oil.

9. I don't see any magnets. Is this a 2022/23 model year? Maybe Hyundai changed the plugs to real magnetic ones; if that's the case...part #s would benefit older model owners.

10. I suspected it would be an issue and that's why I tested it. I attached three Ø18 x 3mm magnets to a stock plug and tried to fit a 24mm socket over it. It was pretty much impossible to avoid the socket sticking directly to the magnets first and I could not engage the hex at all.
    Well, I posted the photo before the magnets were attached because they would obscure the relevant details, but here's the other photo. It's a 2022, presumably the last of them since it only has 1500 miles on it, but it could be a mid-production change.
    Yes, I'm quietly optimistic that there's a chance that these could be magnet plugs. Fortunately the owner is a DIY type and seems interested in this issue. I'm hoping he will pull the filler plug out just to check if it's a magnetic type. Fingers crossed...!
    upload_2022-8-20_13-7-19.png

11. That looks like 4 magnets, good Lord...if 3 makes it difficult to work a socket, 4 might be darn near impossible.
    I will also experiment when I get the ordered plugs in my hands, maybe I will have to apply them after the oil change is completed:rolleyes:

navguy12 and KiwiME like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. If @navguy12 could chime in, maybe he could add more insight into the difficulty of magnetized socket application difficulties to tighten (or remove) the plugs. I know he used 2, maybe that is the cut-off...after all it is his original design workaround; here on in referred to as " the navguy12 external magnet technique";)

navguy12 likes this.
  14. These are the drain plugs that were fitted on my Australian 2022 Kona
    IMG_0135.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  15. Well, they don't look magnetic so that ends that daydream! Thanks for posting this however, it's good to know.

16. They certainly aren't magnetic!

17. Confirming my 2022 also has alloy plugs.

navguy12, electriceddy and KiwiME like this.
  18. Seeing as the neodymium magnets stick to the new plugs and by the appearance I would expect them to be fabricated of galvanized steel - coated with zinc to provide corrosion resistance.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  19. Yes, cold forged from mild steel and then plated. It appears to be nothing more than cost-cutting or use of a second-source vendor rather than a sign that Mobis/Transgear have recognised this ongoing deficiency.

navguy12 likes this.
  20. Incorrect assumption on my part. Apologies. They seem to be galvanised steel.

KiwiME likes this.
  21. Do you guys take the magnets off when you go in for service to replace the gear oil in there?

22. No one has mentioned it so far. It wouldn't be very convenient to carry out unless you limited that to the fill plug, which can be reached from above. It's perfectly adequate functionally to just add them to that one plug.

I think all external magnet fans so far have been DIYing their oil changes.

23. "BYD, one of China's largest manufacturers of electric vehicles (BEVs), has signed a new three-year agreement to use Castrol ON advanced EV fluids in its range of BEVs. As part of the latest agreement and based on testing, BYD will officially recommend the use of Castrol ON EV Transmission Fluid within its Han luxury flagship car."
    Source:
    BYD to use Castrol ON Advanced EV Fluids in Range of Electric Vehicles in China (autofutures.tv)