An Epic Cross Canada journey, with trailer

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Chris Alemany, Aug 15, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. [​IMG]
    We made it and it was a lot of fun. Over 16,000km, one blown trailer tire, 130 charging stops, and a lot of learning about charging and different terrain and driving styles.

https://chrisalemany.ca/2022/08/15/saving-co2-on-a-cross-country-ev-journey/

You can see all the data and experiences on my blog. I logged all of our charging stops so there is tons of information there including CO2 emissions from each province.

Biggest takeaways for us was that Plugshare is amazing and speed and geography make a huge difference for range. The trailer took away about 30-50% of our range but there were still enough chargers to make it worry free for the most part.

The most important part was it was a lot of fun and the regular stops did not put a downer on the trip in general. Lots of time to have a meal, or stretch the legs or explore the vicinity of a charger.

Oh and we did all of this with a spent rear passenger side shock. I assume both rear shocks are done now, but it didn't impact our journey in a serious way.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    HyperSmiler, java, Domenick and 2 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thanks for the write up, especially this statement in your trip blog:
    1. Get all the RFIP cards! BC Hydro, Flo, Electric Circuit, and other networks have their own RFID cards that will activate the machines. Get them! They often make it much easier, and sometimes are the only way to activate a remote charger that isn’t network connected. They send them by mail though so you need to do it before you go.;)

HyperSmiler and Chris Alemany like this.
  4. dGarry48

dGarry48 Member

That's a great adventure and good to hear how smooth it was!

Chris Alemany likes this.
  5. Well I can't say Manitoba was so smooth.. nor a certain portion of northern Ontario outside North Bay when the trailer tire decided to blow at 11PM after a long day... but considering it was 16,000km, it was pretty smooth. Lots of good memories to outweigh a few challenging ones. I'd do it again, but likely never will in quite that way at least. :)

6. Just read the blog, great stuff.

We've been adapting our Kona for weekend adventures, starting with a rooftop bag, and now a more efficient cargo hitch mount tray & storage bag. Glad to see the real world numbers for a small utility trailer.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I thought the Kona EV was not rated for towing

9. It is officially “not recommended”. We have had no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Regnaston likes this.
  10. You are a brave man to cross Saskatchewan in a Kona Ev while towing a trailer! I've made the BC to Ontario trip twice in my Kona (no trailer) and so many of the fast chargers in that province are frequently broken, so charger line ups and range anxiety are to be expected in Sask. I think part of the problem is that Petrocan does not monitor feedback on plugshare, like some other networks do, so repairs are slow. I call the toll free number to start a repair ticket but nothing seems to happen. As EV drivers how can we effectively convince charging networks to maintain their chargers better? Are there currently any organizations advocating for this in Canada?

Chris Alemany likes this.
  11. Well Highway 1 wasn't bad... but the stretch between Moose Jaw and Saskatoon was definitely pushing it. We did it in one leg though! And the scenery was well worth the reduced speed (90kph at the end) and anxious moments. We would have never learned that a man built monuments to Louis Riel along that Highway 11 if we hadn't been forced to go that route as the shortest stretch between chargers rather than Regina, or the Yellowhead from Winnipeg (which is devoid of L3s)

I don't know of any organizations in that sphere. That said, I did get a friendly email from Petro Canada inviting me to have a conversation with their manager of retail operations (or some title of that sort) in charge of both fossil fuel and EV systems. In his words, he is the person that has been put in charge of the EV station network after its initial roll out stage. He was very frank and understood the concerns I and many had brought up about reliability. He made a great point that in terms of fixing broken stations, the supply and servicing chain that exists for, say, a gas pump, that can often get it fixed within 12 hours... simply does not exist yet for the EV technology, but this is a big focus of theirs. He also admitted that the Flo network seems to really have this figured out the best right now, not counting the Electric Utilities (BCH, HydroQuebec) that have a somewhat built in advantage, much like petroleum companies do sourcing parts for petroleum pumps.

I was left with the feeling that PetroCan is very aware of its earned reputation at the moment and is very keen to fix it as quickly as it can. The gaps in the network, particularly Saskatchewan and Northern Ontario are also very well known and stem from a lack of economic payback with so few EVs on the road. That equation is changing. I think governments could be doing a lot more to bridge that economic gap in the mean time as well.

It was a great trip. A part of me still wishes I was on the road. Then I remember changing a trailer tire at 11PM somewhere outside North Bay and the feeling fades. ;)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Good to hear the big boss at PC is hearing the issues. But some of what he told you sounds like BS to me. BTC Power makes PC's ev chargers and also has the contract for servicing them. So parts availability shouldn't be an issue if BTC does the service using their own parts. It also doesn't explain why some chargers are inoperable for months in critical locations (Whitewold Sk) if PC is serious about managing their charging network. I think PC has an uphill battle ahead of them since they are heavily invested in some very unreliable equipment. I think the biggest difference between Flo and PC's chargers isn't the service parts network, it's the reliability of the charger itself. You mentioned government investment, and in my opinion some of this investment might be well spent on maintaining our already failing charging networks, or linking grant money to charger reliability. When I try to suggest these last two ideas to those responsible for handing out millions to build out Canada's charging network my messages go unreturned...

Hey, sorry if I got carried away with my complaints. I don't mean to diminish what you did. Your trip was epic and a shining example that Evs are the future!

14. Not at all! I think you're bang on in terms of choices made for equipment having a big part to do with reliability! I told them they have to get more active on Plugshare to let people know what is happening. I'll keep bugging him periodically. I'm sure he'll rue the day he gave me his email. :+)

15. Clonbur

Clonbur New Member

Chris, can you share what trailer wiring kit you have on your Kona? I have a hitch but have found little info on a DIY wiring harness (flat four) that will fit Hyundai's tail light plugs.

Then there's the always concerning comments that the brake/turn/tail lights will screw up the regenerative braking. Though I don't think the claims are valid it has slowed my effort of installing trailer wiring.

Thanks, Tim

16. Hi Tim. Absolutely. I don’t know of any direct-plug compatible boxes. I used (DIY) the ZCI (“Zero Contact Interface”) model from Tekonsha. The exact model I have doesn’t appear to be available since I installed ours in 2020 but you can see a full blog about that installation too including pictures here:

https://chrisalemany.ca/2020/06/14/installing-a-hitch-and-wiring-harness-into-a-2019-hyundai-kona-electric/

We find that when we only use the trailer intermittently, which is our standard expectation, sometimes the running lights stay on after ignition is turned off. But we found after a week of solid use on EVCrossCanada that this stopped happening. I don’t know if the AI in the box got to know the levels in the wires or what but it definitely improved. I still always checked anyway because unplugging from the trailer is always easier than a dead 12V. Other than that, aside from the standard “trailer lights are temperamental at the best of times” warning, it went very well. Get some dielectric grease. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

17. Clonbur

Clonbur New Member

Thanks Chris. I like that it doesn't splice into the harness. I've successfully spliced many times but with the amount of electronics these cars have the sensors make sense (NPI).

18. I recently installed wiring and hitch, described in another thread in this forum.

I didn’t want to cut any factory wires either, so I ordered the “Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector” Item # C99KR, from etrailer.com (https://www.etrailer.com/p-C99KR.html?hhyear=2020&hhmake=Hyundai&hhmodel=Kona), $77.31 shipped. It has OEM harness adapter plugs that connect to the original Hyundai plugs. Just unclick and reclick.

I powered the converter on a switched 12V circuit I tapped into from the fuse block, so there would be no possible way to drain the battery when the car is off.

19. Clonbur

Clonbur New Member

I've used similar t-connector style wiring harnesses in the past and they do make for an easy, clean install. However, that harness apparently doesn't fit my '21 Kona EV. I'm not sure why it fits the '21 Kona ICE but not the EV. That is something I don't want to take a chance on. But thanks for the suggestion.

Getting back to Chris' original post... I am thinking about building a foamie teardrop camper to pull with my Kona EV. I hope to design the camper with a pop-top of some sort so that wind resistance will be less of a factor. I'll try to keep weight to under 900 lbs. This'll be my fourth teardrop and second foamie teardrop but with a lower profile for towing.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022