Not Sure If Smoke Is Being Blown Up My...

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Tommm, Aug 17, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Car is at dealer because it wouldn't take a charge using either my Juice Box or the BMW L2 charger. They had my BMW L2 charger plugged into their wall and it took a charge. Went from 50 to 100% in 3 hours 14 minutes according to the Mini app on my phone.

Service manager told me there are problems nationwide with EVs charging and the transformers not having enough amps. Perhaps there are a lot of EVs charging at night in my neighborhood, and the draw on the amps is what's flipping my breaker. I am not buying it. Do you buy it?

If it blows a circuit in the main box after I get it back, I will replace the breaker after I invite my friend who has a Leaf over for dinner so I can charge his car and see if it flips the breaker.

Ummm... Does the Leaf take the same plug as our Minis?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The Leaf takes a Chademo plug.

4. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

There's been general worry over the years that our electrical grid may not be able to handle a large influx of EVs, but I don't know that this concern has ever manifested in the real world (at least not yet).
    If your breaker is tripping, that's a local problem, not an upstream problem. If it's tripping with both EVSEs, and if it trips with multiple cars, then it's probably not an equipment issue. It could be the breaker isn't appropriately-sized for the load, or it could be some other more serious problem. The breaker is safety equipment, and should be trusted until proven otherwise; you should get someone out to take a look.

5. Not me

Not me Member

The dealer is serving up a giant heap of FUD. Not only FUD, but meaningless gibberish. "...the draw on the amps..." makes it sound like they once watched a youtube clip & now they think they know everything a master electrician knows. It's literally a mash of electricity-related terms that means nothing.

Moving on to "a lot of EVs charging at night" part...No. Peak demand on any grid is during the daytime when every building on the grid is using a lot - like when HVAC systems are working the hardest, factories/C&I customers are running machinery that dwarfs your 7 kW charger, businesses are open - & overnight is the bottom of the demand curve. Your neighbors will never & can never trip your breakers with their usage.

I'd be on the phone with the electrician who was the runner-up when you got your EVSE installation quotes, not the Mini service dept.

6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Should be CHAdeMO for DC fast charging plus J1772.

If the residential pole-mounted transformer was that much overloaded, it would probably be on fire. You probably need to provide additional details on your situation (main panel, breaker size, wiring to sub panel, sub-panel breakers, wiring to NEMA 14-50, etc.).

636355777814756887-POLEFIRE-071317-3862743816.jpg

Rexsio likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Zim

Zim Member

Sure sounds like a bunch of bull to me. It the local grid was indeed stressed the entire neighborhood would know.... not just one appliance of one household. Complete ignorance by the sounds of it, or someone trying dictate their own narrative.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

9. Zim

Zim Member

But as previously mentioned, sounds local to the circuit from the box if you're getting trips.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

10. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Tell us about your wiring, and we can suggest diagnostic steps to identify the actual issue.
    Guessing and throwing parts at something is slow and expensive.

11. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

They are talking nonsense. You just need a good electrician.

pictsidhe likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

Look for the common problem.

If your car can successfully charge elsewhere, then it's not likely the car. If your breaker trips regardless of the charger you're using, then that's the likely issue.

It may be easier to blame other stuff, but from your posts it sounds like the issue is with your house wiring.

14. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was quiet while he shoveled that bull manure at me. My buttox was burning from all the smoke he was blowing up it!

What is odd is that the electrical system worked fine at 32A with the red car, and now a few months later with no change, it is tripping at 16A. I got the message on the dash that it was not accepting a charge. The common problem was the same wiring and same Juice Box that charged the red SE at 32A wasn't charging this car, and the same wiring with a different charger also wasn't charging the car. That is why I insisted that the dealer use my BMW charger on their 220 wall outlet to charge the car. Since it took the charge, and I don't have a second EV to charge with my setup, and it isn't an issue with the grid (phew glad we eliminated that :)) I have to look into my electrical system.

Here are pictures of my setup from Juice Box to main breaker (the 80A on the bottom left).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  15. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Just a note that grid power, or house loads (air conditioners, heat pumps, big TVs, pool heaters) combined with lossy connections can bring down the panel voltage a bit as well as outlet voltages, especially those at the end of a long run. Less voltage for a given load means more current flows which can trip a breaker on the margin that otherwise doesn't trip.... so there may not be as much smoke as you think... yet :) This may not be applicable in this case, but measuring the actual current flowing through the cable and the voltage may give you a clue and may show that charging the new SE is drawing more current than the red one. It gets complicated when at the margins and then the devices connected have different characteristics.

Was the electrical loading within the house less a few months ago?

16. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    I'm confused - I don't see an 80 amp breaker.

17. jwzimm

jwzimm Active Member

Um...I may be wrong here but your "80 Amp" breaker is a 40 Amp breaker. This is an 80 Amp breaker for a GE panel: https://www.simplybreakers.com/products/thql2180?currency=USD&variant=29143773184080&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9uD6ldXQ-QIVosLCBB3XyglWEAQYASABEgKLm_D_BwE

And it looks like the wire gauge being run to that sub panel is only 6 gauge based on your photos. If you truely had an 80 Amp breaker feeding that sub panel you would need to use 4 gauge wire.

As others have said, you really need to get a licensed electrician out to look at all of your wiring.

-Amanda likes this.
  18. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    PLUS - the panel with the 50 amp breaker - there is no main breaker on that panel. The feed wire is coming into that panel from the middle correct? That feed wire looks smaller. Are you saying the panel with the 50 amp breaker is being fed by a 40 amp breaker?

19. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

I am now. Yep, I thought it was to 40s going to the sub panel. Gotta get my electrical expert back over. Thanks. It's been a while since I looked at the contract for the extension the prior owner put in. They built the mother in law extension so it could handle a hot tub on the roof, but put only 40 to the sub panel that has never blown since we bought the house 15 years ago. And the prior owner was an engineer! Whoa! I have some mud on my face.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  20. jwzimm

jwzimm Active Member

Unfortunately that is not how 240V breakers work. A 240 service uses two 120V feeds that are offset in phase by 180 degrees. That means the total voltage differential between the legs is always 240V. The breaker is rated at the maximum current draw on each phase. If you are drawing 80 amps on a 240 you need a breaker that feeds 80 amps on each phase. The breaker you have feeding that sub panel is only able to provide 40 amps per phase.

Please ensure your expert really knows his stuff here. I am very concerned about the feed wire you have going from your main box to that sub panel. If it is only 6 AWG copper wire that maximum breaker you can feed to the sub panel is 50 amps. If you install an 80 amp breaker and feed the sub panel with the existing wire you have a high risk of an electrical fire in your walls as that 6 AWG wire is not rated for that current draw. If you replace the current 40 amp breaker with a 50 amp breaker you will probably need to re-evaluate the breaker size for your EVSE given the number of other circuits you have in that sub panel.

21. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    What's the feasibility of feeding the 240v charging outlet directly from the main panel? Is there any room in the main panel and whats the distance / run path like? What's the main breaker for the house? If no room in main panel, maybe an electrician could add a sub panel close by and move some circuits from main to sub. Panels are cheap if they can just move some circuits over without running new wire. My panel has a 200 amp main but was full when house was new. Its the least amount of breakers I've ever seen in such a large panel. Builders love to save pennies and don't care about your ability to upgrade.

22. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

Wanted to chime in to agree with folks here - you really need a certified electrician visit to inspect what you have going on.

That sub-panel is obviously overloaded. Probably best to replace it with an 80-100A sub-panel with appropriately sized wiring from the main panel. I'm curious who thought throwing a 50A breaker in a 40A sub-panel was okay? Glad your 40A breaker is doing it's job though!!

-Amanda likes this.
  23. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

I did, I thought I had 80. Hence the mud on my face. I screwed up, and it worked with the red car. I'm swapping it out for a 20, and will charge the car at 16. She who must be obeyed is planning some renovations in the near future, and we will run a home run from the main box to the garage. It is a straight shot through the crawl space to where the box is.

insightman likes this.