$4000 used tax credits

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Silver Surfer, Aug 17, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

With the USA passing the new EV initiative - extending the new EV credits of $7500 and introducing $4000 tax credits for used EVs, I’m wondering about leased clarities. When I buy out my lease at the beginning of 2024, would it qualify for the used EV purchase? I’m assuming not, but one can hope, right?

Thank you for your thoughts and replies.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Looks like “B” would make the vehicle ineligible.

065AF072-8E9E-42A9-9D5E-C839B47DE68E.jpeg

DaleL likes this.
  4. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

Rats... you are probably right on that one. Thank you for digging up that information for me!

5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

I agree with Landshark, but it may be possible to still come out ahead by negotiating with a dealer in advance to turn it in and then have a spouse/relative/friend etc buy it. Not sure how that may be viewed if married filing jointly, consult your tax professional...

6. 492935D0-5B09-4C25-B04B-369F1053C666.jpeg 90A9B2CB-0046-4E55-A83D-4A2C67177E9F.jpeg You could try the “relative” approach. Above is the wording on a Qualified Sale and there are some income limitations as well.

Questions to ask:
    Would the dealer sell the car to the relative at a higher price than the lease buy out, knowing what you’re up to and that there is $4,000 on the table?
    Would the sale price be less than the maximum allowable figure of $25,000?
    If the relative later sold the car to you, would that constitute buying with the intention of selling? Yes, difficult to prove, but highly suspicious in appearance.
    What amount of sales tax, title fees and registration will be paid on the transaction(s)?

DaleL likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

I think used EVs will become more expensive, so you can buy your car and sell it to someone else.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Is the $4K EV tax credit available even if the used EV isn't purchased from a dealer?

10. No. See above from page 397 “Qualified Sale” lines 3 & 4.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks. I was pretty sure private sales were locked out of the $4K tax credit, but I fell victim to TLDR syndrome.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Anyone can buy a car and sell it to someone else. That’s always been an option and the new legislation hasn’t changed that. Whether or not you’ll make a buck on the deal is pure speculation.

What has changed is that there is now a $4000 tax credit available on the qualified sale of a previously owned clean vehicle. Since a qualified sale is only available through a dealer, this puts a seller in a private transaction at a disadvantage. The private seller now has to compete with dealers who can provide a buyer the $4000 credit.

14. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

There is a price cap ($25k), but it will have a cascading effect on cars above this threshold too. It won't have an impact on high end EVs though I think.