Excessive tire wear

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Kia Guy, Aug 15, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

Just a random update. I am a pretty relaxed driver - no accelerating off the line, going excessive speeds. Mostly highway driving (70/30).

Went in for a rotation and was told that my tires are shot. They are Nokian WRG4s with 50,000km on them. 100,000km warranty, so pretty shocked.

I was told that I have no tread left at all in the inner parts of the tire, so I had to get a new set.

I've previously owned WRG4s on a Mazda... they went, and are still going strong at 130,000km. Not sure what happened here, but just an FYI to all to monitor tread depth.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Joe W. CSP

Joe W. CSP New Member

I got my 2020 Niro EV new. One of the first things I do for all new vehicles is bring it in to an honest alignment shop, get a front AND rear wheel alignment. I had less than 5,000 miles when this was done. The alignment tech said one of the rear wheels was a little off. Most likely caused when they tie it down during shipping. Something like this could cause premature tire wear, and I would not feel it since it was a rear wheel. I also bring the car in every 5,000 miles for spin balance and rotation. Worn suspension parts could cause it to wear on the inside edge. But usually that happens to older cars. You didn't say what year your Niro was built. They haven't been out long enough to have worn out suspension and steering components.

GaeanGerhard likes this.
  4. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

It's a 2019 model. I will be getting an alignment done prior to the install of the new tires, for sure.

5. jeff_h

jeff_h Member

GaeanGerhard likes this.