Power Spoke Wheels

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Quorn, Apr 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

Ok, so the red arrow bit is diamond cut area, not painted silver or anything like that?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Love me some aero testing - thanks! Skimming the 2nd article quickly, it's easy to see why folks seem to have difficulty detecting any differences in the real world.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I can't tell if it's painted aluminum or just polished aluminum, but it has a clear-coat over whichever it is. The more I think about it, wheel manufacturers usually paint everything to achieve the exact color they want, so it's probably silver paint. I'm so afraid of scratching my Power Spoke rims that they live in the basement, not on my SE.

For more reference, here's the seldom-seen side of the Power Spoke rims. You can see the back of the 4 plastic pieces. Note the large number of wheelweights required to balance one of these asymmetrical wonders:

upload_2022-8-15_17-42-25.png

5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Lol so prolly not lot lighter than any of the other 17-inch options. :p

insightman likes this.
  6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Relative to the other OEM wheel options, they are considerably lighter but they won't fit 16-inch Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 winter tires.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

For that the 16" Spectre Grey Revolites are the lightweight, aerodynamic choice. I got them for my snow tires, and they weigh 33.2 pounds each with tires/tpms mounted. They were not cheap, though.

9. SameGuy

YUL
    Roger that, but I was making fun of the net weight with a pound of lead inside the barrel in the pic @insightman posted. ;)

insightman likes this.
  10. shakotanVIP

shakotanVIP New Member

The Mini badge and yellow trim are a separate centre cap to the larger wheel cover and the same as any other 5x112 MINI wheel centre cap. I have indeed replaced mine with the floating MINI centre caps, but you need to trim the centre section out with a pair of side cutters to clear the rotating 'float' assembly. This does not stop you from refitting the standard centre cap in the future.

fishbert and endquote like this.
  11. Dmitry Tuzhilin

Dmitry Tuzhilin New Member

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

My OHaus scale "from the 70s" says it weighs 75.5 grams. There's a metal cylinder in the center that brings it up to that weight.

14. Dmitry Tuzhilin

Thanks! Will test it next Saturday IMG_20221113_185228.jpg IMG_20221113_185218.jpg

Attached Files:

SameGuy and CuriousGeorge like this.
  15. SameGuy

YUL
    Lol I LOVE it! I admire the effort, though I admit I was defo more inclined to just spend four minutes ordering mine from ECS. :cool:

16. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

This seems sketchy to me, but maybe it'll be close enough? The weight isn't concentric, so it seems like there would be some variation depending on which way it's turned.

SameGuy likes this.
  17. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

That, and those fingers might be prone to breaking.
    Not to worry, it's not like improperly balanced tires are a safety concern or anything... saving a couple bucks (maybe?) is more important.

SameGuy likes this.
  18. SameGuy

YUL
    Time is money too.

Fredrik Lidén and endquote like this.
  19. Dmitry Tuzhilin

Balancing is done using my 3d printed tool. Workshop did not got adapter to balance wheel with cover - so I had no choice. No numbers to verify balancing quality, but no steering wheel vibrations either. Will see...
    3d image published here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5627948
    Thanks!

insightman likes this.
  20. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

Thanks for all the info, previous posters :)

Anyone consider/try removing those plastic wedges? I would like to…

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

21. SameGuy

YUL
    Something to make @insightman cringe on a Sunday morning… my nephew, an Audi sales advisor and avid VAG geek (on all the forums and FB groups) sent me these just now:

38B80E59-E505-46C7-B73A-26B460F2C0EC.jpeg
    DE3A7B5E-B2C5-4A96-AF2B-7780A5FB7BC4.jpeg
    1E755C51-9022-43A5-A118-7E58FC42C084.jpeg

nowkent likes this.
  22. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Are those tires Michelin Primacy 3? I mean I didn't think chip shortages would be that bad for wheels and tires...

23. insightman

Crrrrrinnnngggge! Of course, if that VW owner was really serious, he'd install a MINI hood scoop, too.

It's interesting the MINI SE's center caps were retained. Perhaps those wheels went on just for the photos. They look so wrong on that car!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023