Why did you choose the trim level you choose?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by MarkSasaki, Aug 13, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I’m the same way but who knows which way this goes but for a record I bought 2014 bmw I 3 CPO from bmw dealer 5000 miles base model a 1 1/2 yr. Old for $18000 . Base i3 new $45000 .once I sold for $17250 a car was 7 1/2 yr. Old and for information a factory range with 60 amp/H 84 miles . SE 94 a/H range 114 miles I was still doing 80 miles in good condition /summer to me means we can keep SE for long time as long we don’t need a range.SE with price $22500 after 7 years could be still $20000 car as prices are going now 25% on all EVs and with shortage with all raw materials and chips SE can hold price even better.For sure signature is the Best Buy on a market off all cars / brands. F4FADFD1-ECA0-4CFD-8227-4D5886BF5A1E.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

For real who pay 45K for used one at least a price is there make me feel pretty good we drive expensive SE or I should sell it but I don’t need money and on small island like Staten Island I treat a car like go cart living in Florida in retirement community .Here on island we have 1/2 million population with only 2 DC public chargers the rest is Tesla but I use only my L2 in garage every 2weeks anyway.

4. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

When I purchased my first Mini (in 2003), I looked carefully at the choices (Cooper and Cooper S), and decided that if I bought the Cooper, I would regret not having the power of the S forever. Thus, all of my Mini's have been S's. I've never regretted that choice.

MarkSasaki likes this.
  5. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

What really means S for Mini cooper SE electric if this is only an options my neighbors think I own the best EV from Cooper family is signature model but like Porsche Taycan a price from $ 86K to 187 K reflects a difference of the value and performance,SE is only model with the same performance does not matter what you pay for? $30K or 38K is a same car.

6. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

I agree and disagree with the statement on the SE. I agree it is the same car as far as performance and range, but the higher trim models showcase the best the car could be in features, convieniences, aesthetics, accessories, and comfort. The aesthetics is subjective but for me personally, I like the no chrome look. That is an easy modification if the car was purchased without it but adding ACC, a HUD, self-parking, a higher end interior, and a better sounding stereo is not.

I guess it really depends on what the person buying the car wants or needs.

Rexsio likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

I went for the base model.
    No moonroof! I'm 6'6", so don't like the diminished headroom. Mostly importantly, I'm in NC. I don't like getting into a sauna. Then having cool feet and a hot head. No, wrong climate here for a moonroof. Upper trim levels could delete it, but no money back.
    I made a list of things I would have liked for the extra $4000:
    1. Dipping rear view mirror
    2. Aluminium interior trim
    3. White roof (but not mirrors)
    4. Option to spend even more to get leather seats.

It was a lot more money to get a few more features. I didn't think that it was good value. That 4000 will more than pay for having the roof painted. Though I'm kinda liking the all BRG look now I have it.

9. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

^This!!!! I live in the land of jacked up pickup trucks without re-aimed headlights. This would be a great feature!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  10. inferno10

inferno10 Member

I went with Iconic because I wanted the satellite grey leather seats, moonroof, and HK speakers. The ACC and HUD are nice, but not on my must-have list.

11. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

My decisions were more based on buying a fun to drive toy vs a transportation appliance. I am also a value shopper. After shopping around a bit, in May 2022 I was looking for a model with wireless charging (phone), Light colored Chesterfield leather interior, electric interior surface, 17 inch Scissor spoke wheels, Mini connected XL, Premium sound and the piano black exterior trim. The Iconic has all of these in its package and the difference between a similarly equipped Signature and Iconic was something like $500 at the time, wireless charging not being available/upgradable in a signature. I test drove a Signature+ and sat in a Signature. The Iconic, to me, drives and feels like a better car. I like that. It turned out to be a very nice car, the only extra cost option being roof rails..... I am a value shopper after all. :) The metrics of buying todays model may be different.

By the way, a large part of the decision process was that a couple Signature+s were on the lot, and an Iconic would have to be ordered... and I am impatient. But it turned out that an identical model was dealer pre-ordered and on the boat, so the wait was only a couple weeks. Years ago when I was more frugal I may have bought a base signature and slowly upgraded it. But over the years I found the more satisfying rides, to me, are higher line rides that are sometimes worth the price.

MarkSasaki and SameGuy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

I was perfectly content with my signature. I "upgraded" to plus because I wanted homelink, and was concerned if i swapped a homelink mirror from a wreck onto the car, and something like a brake caliper, or lug nut went bad, because it is an EV, BMW would deny the warranty. The HK is nicer, but wasn't available when we bought the red signature, so the rest of the Plus options dont mean much.

14. Scrambler

Scrambler Member

I went with Iconic (with moonroof delete), mostly because I really wanted the rebel green & pepper white paint of the Resolute edition, and the only way to get it is Iconic. Otherwise, I would have gone with a Signature, because it seemed like the moonroof was a big part of the of the value difference between Sig and Sig+/Iconic, and you don't get a credit for deleting it. I'm happy I got the Iconic though, because I really did want the active cruise control and HK sound system, I just didn't think they were worth the price difference on their own.

15. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    Do you really have active cruise? Mine looks like it will not. I'm also getting a Resolute.

Looking at the options list, it's not on there. The option codes can be see in the hidden HTML in MY Garage. The cruise option is 0544, which is cruise with auto braking, according to what i've discovered by googling.

My vehicle inquiry sheet from the dealer shows 0451 (active cruise control). But it looks like MINI has deleted ACC, similar to how heated steering wheel was deleted for awhile (but no longer).

16. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    Can you enter your VIN at https://www.mdecoder.com and let me know if you have 541 or 544 listed under Driver Assistance And Lightning?

17. Scrambler

Scrambler Member

On mdecoder, my VIN shows "S541 Active Cruise Control"

18. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    They took it away from me..

19. Scrambler

Scrambler Member

That's a bummer. It seems like it's been a bit of a gamble with what actually gets included. Mine came without heated steering wheel and alarm, but with everything else. I can live with those, but I would have been unhappy without ACC or HK sound. I think they're also no longer allowing moonroof delete.

20. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    Hmm.. i got heated steering wheel. ACC is no longer listed on Iconic trim on the MINI configurator website.

21. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

I noticed it disappeared when they went with the Iconic 2.0. It was listed before they went to the 2.0 trims.

22. Louis W

Louis W Member

2023 Signature Plus 2.0 here. I was not interested in ACC, the HUD, nor the additional leather options. Sig Plus 2.0 offered all the Iconic "upgrades" I was interested in, like the HK sound, moonroof, and auto-dim mirrors. I don't see this option on the online configurator though. I asked my MA about adding the heated steering wheel, but he said that was an error with the configurator.

23. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

You (and others concerned about this) should look into the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act if in the US. Other countries usually have similar laws.

Basically, your warranty cannot be denied because of an unrelated modification. The dealer/manufacturer has to prove that your aftermarket part or modification specifically caused the warranty issue (burden of proof is on them, not you).

So for example: if you upgraded the mirror they could deny a warranty for an issue with the wiring to the mirror but they couldn't deny a warranty claim for a bad wheel bearing or other unrelated components.

Louis W likes this.