Cosmoline (Clear/White/Yellow "Grease") Staining Wheel Arches?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by methorian, Jul 13, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

I've seen other posts about this, just not sure if on this forum specifically, but was wondering how many of you have had your wheel arches black plastic stained by cosmoline drips from the hood? With the heat now I've got tons of the crap flowing out of my hood and going down my wheel arch plastic, and slinging down the side of the car (seems to be drivers side only for now).

Cosmoline is an anti-rust grease like substance that BMW loves to coat cars in before shipping. Seems like it pretty permanently stains the black plastics as well. You can remove using de-greasers (though this will likely cause your black plastic to bloom) and then follow up with some 303 to "mask" the stain, it'll show itself again in short order.

I've seen some old posts on Mini forums suggesting the only real solution is to get the black plastics replaced under warranty, but that just seems ridiculous to me.

Just curious how many other SE owners here have the same issue.

Here's main big drip on my drivers side wheel arch. I've cleaned it with some de-greaser and then used 303, but there's still some coming out:

IMG_2010.JPG

You can see it still on the paint where I missed cleaning as well:

IMG_2014.JPG

Super annoying stuff!

Attached Files:

Carsten Haase and polyphonic like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Wreckless117

Wreckless117 Well-Known Member

Yea I had some too and was wondering what it was and chalked it up to some sort of anti-rust coating.

I personally wouldn't use a degreaser on the plastics, too harsh imo. I usually just use my usual ceramic waterless wash and it comes off with a bit of scrub, and then since it's off, the ceramic properties help keep it from getting too "engrained" and wipes off a bit easier the next time. Amazing how hard the stuff can get tho!

4. methorian

Yea, I didn't use too much degreaser, but probably won't be doing it again. The stuff is very annoying and just keeps coming out!

5. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed any on my SE yet, but my wife's Clubman had an ungodly amount come out on both sides. Haven't had much luck dealing with it.

6. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I was wondering what that stuff was, very annoying! I used some black plastic restorer to hide it better than the 303 does but it's still slightly visible

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Denise C

Denise C Active Member

Did you guys take it into mini and have them fix it? For her clubman…

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Nope. Probably should have, but that ship has sailed.

10. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

This junk continues to ooze out 2 years later.

11. I was just about to post about this. I use Chemical Guys VRP to "cover it up" but I look forward to any input on how to stop it.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. methorian

There was no "stopping" mine, it continues to leak out of various places. I've tried elbow grease, various chemicals (most of which will whiten the black plastic), and other methods to no avail.

VRP will "cover" it up for a bit, but it still shows. My plan is to live with it for another summer and then warranty it for replacement plastics.

14. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Do you think a hairdryer to warm up the plastic/cosmoline and then wipe away with mineral spirits on a cotton swap would work?

15. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Maybe we should look a days / years when a SE was manufactured.Mine is December 2021 as 2022 model and I pic up a car on January 3rd 2022 and I never experienced any stains on wheel arch my milage is 4200 miles . BC88A849-C881-45BB-B10C-090225ABDCDA.jpeg

16. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

Take it to the dealer and have the plastic replaced under warranty.

SameGuy likes this.
  17. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Huh, I was wondering wtf that stuff is. I clean it, it's back a day or two later.

18. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

SameGuy likes this.
  19. methorian

You can do a search for "mini cooper cosmoline" and you'll see many many posts about it (BMW uses it as well, my partners X5 PHEV has had a few drips, but it's all on painted surfaces so it doesn't stain anything).

There are definitely means of removing it, the problem is that it basically stains the black plastic on Mini's, and I haven't really seen any means of restoring the plastic (fully) once that happens. There are even auto products specifically made to remove cosmoline and other "transit coatings", but they are generally promised safe for painted surfaces, not plastics, and you risk discoloring the plastic using them in my opinion.

The consensus seems to just be to warranty it, if you can.

Tetrodotoxin likes this.
  20. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Have you tried pressure washing it? There is a TSB that has the hood removed, a process to drip it out, then reapply less. When I picked up the car the detail guy (who didnt get to touch mine) suggested a pressure washer, and if that doesnt work warranty.

21. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

Can paint protection film be applied to the plastic wheel arches?

22. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

You could try but because the wheel arch surface is rough all the dirt will just end up getting trapped on the PPF adhesive side.