Budget Battery Capacity Readout

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by MrFixit, Feb 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Thank you so much for that. Unfortunately, I'm an indentured servant of Apple (slave of convenience?) so I'm stuck with iPhone CarPlay with likely no chance at all for Google workarounds... Funnily, in my CarPlay list of apps (approved by Apple, I guess) I have the Brave browser, which doesn't work at all when I tried it, and obviously would belong to that category of things you wouldn't want to look at when driving. But I would love to be able to see that CarScanner 'dashboard' on my screen...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

If there were a way with Android, don't rule out the possibility of obtaining a cheap (or hand-me-down) Android phone just for this purpose. It could be used strictly as a stand-alone (no need for a cellular carrier / subscription) and could be a dedicated CarScanner dashboard driver device !

4. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Well, that's a fantastic idea! Would only need to find a discreet and suitable spot to stick it onto the dash... But I would greatly appreciate if you can keep me posted on the developer's response to either possibility. Thanks!

5. Reyn

Reyn New Member

This is what I have been doing recently. I use my regular phone to connect to Android Auto (for Google Maps, Spotify etc), and an older phone with no SIM mounted on the left side of the dash to display the CarScanner dashboard of my choice. This works great. I use an OBD cable with a switch so that I can turn off the OBD when I am done driving for the day.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  6. Reyn

Reyn New Member

@MrFixit is there a way that I can get the max HV battery temp and the min HV battery temp? Rather than show all seven battery temps on the dashboard, I would like to declutter the dashboard and only include the max and min battery temps. The max so that i can avoid charging the car when the batteries are hot. The min since low temps restrict charge and discharge rates.

Of the many coolant temps identified through OBD2, which ones are useful to monitor - especially when driving in HV mode? Also what do the ES Coolant temps represent? Electrical system?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MrFixit

@Reyn

When defining parameters in Car Scanner, you can use 'simple' equations. Among the available operators is 'min' and 'max'. The trouble is that the equations / operators work on byte values within an OBD2 response message, and thus an expression to find the maximum of 7 temperatures would get pretty elaborate (each temperature is a 2 byte value). This quite likely exceeds the capability of the simple equation editor. Let me think about this some more and play with Car Scanner's equation functionality. Here is a page that describes some of Car Scanners equation capabilities:
    https://www.carscanner.info/custompids/

I do not really have a feel for which temperatures are more important than others. Fundamentally, I just depend on Honda Engineering to have done a good job of temperature management !!

What is very possible is writing a program to pull OBD2 data and manipulate it with your own program. However, this requires you to have some programming skills. You could presumably do this with a phone App (beyond my capability), or with a laptop (this one, I could guide you how to do it). With a laptop, it could be done in 'c', 'c++' or java. I have both a java and a 'c' framework that could easily do this. But - you probably don't want to drive around with a laptop !

Regarding the "ES Coolant" stuff - The Clarity has 3 cooling loops. The ES (Energy Storage) loop cools the battery module, DC-DC converter and the battery charger. Beyond that, I am not certain exactly where the sensors are located. I have attached a couple of documents with very good descriptions of this.

This thread (among other things) contains some discussion of the cooling:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/second-service-a01.2456/

Attached Files:

9. Reyn

Reyn New Member

Thank you @MrFixit . I am in awe of you for the kindness you show in helping people like me. I was merely trying to declutter the display a bit on the app screen. Since finding the min and max values seems like a hard thing to do, i will not pursue that. It's not worth it. What I can do is create yet another dashboard and put the battery temps there. Thus, I will have three dashboards: the first will be a run-time board showing data that are useful while driving such as RPM, current, SOC, coolant and transmission temps, etc.; the second a non-runtime dashboard with data such as ES coolant temps, battery capacity etc.; and the third with the days to maintenance data.
    I have started reading the thread you pointed me to, and will read the attached documents. Thank you very much for all your help.

PS: One thing I noticed recently was that when I swiped to another dashboard and then swiped back, some of the data stopped being displayed. I had to restart the car to get CS to display the values. Given this, I have stopped swiping to another dashboard while driving.

10. MrFixit

Another thing you might try is to put all 7 of the battery temps on a single graph. This way, it is only one widget and your eyeball will easily 'see' the ones that are highest and lowest...

11. Reyn

Reyn New Member

I can do that? Putting multiple variables on one graph? Cool. I will do that. Thank you.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MrFixit

Humm, now that I said it, I'm not sure that it's an option... It should be !!!

14. MrFixit

There is something called a "Histogram with Multiple Sensors". It shows all of the chosen parameters on the same grid, and also displays the min / max / average on the plot too.

15. Reyn

Reyn New Member

Yes, I found that. Thank you.

16. Adi

Adi New Member

I have a ICAR PRO BLE4.0 with the Car Scanner Pro, Clarity 2018 almost 40k
    today it measured 48.7Ah

17. AHolbro1

AHolbro1 Member

Hi All, I'm a newbie. Long time TorquePro user and added the PID per the instructions in the first page or two of this thread once I rec'd and installed the Vgate iCar Pro BT3.0. It returned a number in the 4,000's...can't recall exactly what.

Installed CarScanner free version this afternoon and fired'er up. Didn't add a PID or otherwise mess with it (although I did choose Clarity PHEV on the vehicle profile) and just hooked up to have a look. "Dashboard" opened a 17 page screen seemingly having every bit of information about the High Voltage battery one could possibly want. I took screenshots of most, can probably post them if necessary. I noted on app installation that the latest update was 4 Aug. I assumed 2022 though can't say I made specific note of it...this being August, just seemed a fair assumption. So...does this mean the extensive files @MrFixit graciously posted in the early pages of this thread have now been incorporated by the app developer?

BTW, many thanks to @MrFixit and @lincomatic for their diligent work and much patience on display in this very thread. TBH, I've only read about the first 7 pages thus far, then skipped ahead to pg. 20, though I plan to work my way through the lot of it as time permits. Here are the particulars:

2019 Clarity obtained 7 July, 2022 from Carvana with 96,600-ish miles
    Currently, 100,559 miles
    Batt Cap = 49.9 ah
    Usage history: 96.6K mi (July 7, 2022) and prior, unknown
    July 8: 951 miles in 16.5 hours almost exclusively in HV with a bit of HV-Charge thrown in on each of 3 petrol top-ups. Did start the journey with a full charge.
    July 9 - 12: Charged on Lvl 1 cord that came with car and made a few EV trips to town and back, no ICE operation
    July 13: Launched on the return trip for another 950+ miles, another 16.5 hours/3 fuel stops with a bit of HV-charge done on each tankful.
    July 13-17: Still vacationing, but around home, just a few EV trips to town and back, about 10-15 miles round trip
    July 18-present: Work commute - 51 mi one-way. Switch on HV mode less than a mile after launch passing thru 50 mph on acceleration to 70 mph. Cancel HV mode when I exit the freeway with 5.1 miles left (or 10%) Normally, I'll have between 40-43 miles EV range remaining as I coast to the stoplight from the freeway exit. The 5.1 miles of city/neighborhood travel consumes about 3-4 miles of that. I burn through an additional 2-2.5 miles cooling the car down with the app between shutting down my laptop, gathering my stuff and heading out to the car park. I maintain EV mode for the first 15-17 miles of the trip home despite the latter 10 or so of that being on the freeway, it is still stop-n-go. Normally switch to HV when clear of traffic and steady state 70-75 mph can be maintained. Cancel HV mode when distance to home is about 2 miles less than remaining EV range estimate. Generally charge with a Level 2 for the next day's commute, but occasionally just use the Lvl 1 and let it go overnight.

MrFixit and Robert_Alabama like this.
  18. MrFixit

Yes

Recognizing the cluttered mess that this thread has become, I have put together a more concise "How To" in a Github project. I am working with @Domenick to somehow highlight this at the start of the thread to prevent new members from having to wade through the mess like you had to do !

Here is a link to the consolidated Github pages:
    https://github.com/clarity-phev/Battery-Capacity-Read

AHolbro1 likes this.
  19. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Hey @Reyn, can you say exactly where at the left of the board you put the old phone? (or post a pic?) I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out where to place it that I can see the screen and it's out of the way of a possible airbag deployment... Thanks!

20. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Big disappointment yesterday trying that. I found a Samsung Galaxy tab3 peacefully sleeping on the bottom of a drawer ( Used it many moons ago as a "GPS unit" to my long gone Mazda CX-7). I immediately thought it was the perfect way to materialize your idea so I recharged it, went into Google Play but couldn't find Car Scanner (among almost anything the universe has produced as OBD 2 apps, including Chevrolet, Ford, Honda (yes, Honda) and BMW, plus versions in arabic, vietnamese etc). I tried a workaround by browsing to the developer website, tried to download it and got a message: "This version is incompatible with your device"... So now I'm hesitant to spend money on any cheap Android device since I don't know how far in the past goes the "compatibility deadline" for Car Scanner to run. Any word of advice on a device?
    Or maybe my best hope is still (Developer willing) to somehow have Car Scanner dashboard included into Apple Carplay after all...

21. MrFixit

Offhand, it looks like a tab3 may be Android 4.x?
    That is quite old, and perhaps Car Scanner requires a newer Android...
    Can you verify the Android version? I'll see if I can figure out what is required.

22. MrFixit

@coutinpe,
    I believe Car Scanner requires Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or newer.
    Android 5.0 was introduced in 2014 so that gives you a feel for the vintage of devices that would likely work.

23. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

@MrFixit You got it! What I have was Android 4.3 (venerable piece of...). Thank you so much for the tip. Let's see what I get. Do you have any suggestion for placement? I'm trying to figure out a place on my line of sight not obstructing air vents, other displays or buttons and out of the way of any potential airbag deployment... Thank you so much for your invaluable help!