Unlocking doors with trunk

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Quiet Mini, Aug 10, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

Is there a setting that will also unlock the doors when you use the button on the trunk?

I never use the key fob and sometimes am loading the trunk while a passenger tries to enter the car. Until I am finished loading the trunk and go to the driver’s door they can’t get in the car. This seems like it should be a setting but I can’t find it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. tesrivmini

tesrivmini Active Member

Try "My MINI/Vehicle settings/Doors/Key/Tailgate", there's a setting "Tailgate and door(s)" which seems like what you're after...

GvilleGuy likes this.
  4. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I think I understand what you want, but likely for security reasons the SE has not made that an option.

While your girl friend is loading those flank steaks and the boxed wine into the hatch you don’t want some thug to be able to get into the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

@tesrivmini has it right. There is a setting for that. I just tried it and the FOB hatch button unlocked the hatch + both doors. Further down the settings screen there is an option for whether the doors automatically lock again if no door is opened after they are unlocked. Not sure what the timer is on that.

6. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Unless I read wrong, the OP is talking about the button on the boot itself, not the fob button.

This is not possible to my knowledge.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. tesrivmini

tesrivmini Active Member

I stand corrected.

I assumed that when opening the hatch, whether pressing the key fob button or not, it's still the key fob authorizing you to unlock the hatch - so that setting would apply.

But, changing that setting does nothing for the doors when opening the hatch without actually pressing the button on the hatch.

9. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Sorry - I misread. Agree on the hatch button. I was assuming FOB.

10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Just to clarify how the SE works, the fob button is the smart trigger that communicates to the car and lets the car unlock whatever it's set to unlock. The individual locks are just for each door (or hatch), and must have the fob nearby to work. This is MINI's "comfort access". Without comfort access the only way to unlock the doors is with the fob button (I know this because my Clubman does not have comfort access). Fortunately the SE only comes with comfort access, so it always works the same way.

11. Quiet Mini

Yes, I was talking about comfort access, not the key fob. With comfort access, I see no reason to pull the key out of my pocket. If you press the comfort access button on either door, it unlocks both doors and the trunk. If you press it on the trunk, it only unlocks the trunk. I can’t believe this is for security because I can see the full 3’ distance to the doors. . It seems the key can be programmed his way so I assume comfort access can be also. I just can’t find the setting.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

That's what I was trying to explain, comfort access only allows opening of a single lock without using the fob but having it nearby. The only way to unlock multiple locks is with the buttons on the fob.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  14. Quiet Mini

My comfort access will unlock both driver and passenger doors when either of those two is depressed. It definitely does more than a single lock.

insightman, Rogwp and SameGuy like this.
  15. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

This is true when you pick up the car, but you can change it in the menu to unlock all doors.

16. Puppethead

I must humbly apologize. I did some experimenting and the door locks do behave in a much more "smart" fashion than I thought. It's a bit odd, though. If you set the car to unlock a single door, it only unlocks the driver door but will unlock both the driver and passenger doors when done from the passenger side! And both doors always lock, regardless of the vehicle door setting.

It also looks like there's a "tailgate and door(s)" setting to have the fob button unlock all the doors, but I remember seeing somewhere (can't find where) that being able to open the tailgate while the car remained locked is a feature so you can access cargo without worries. I actually really use that feature all the time, so I'm glad the car does not unlock when I open the hatch manually.

Rogwp and GvilleGuy like this.
  17. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    In the Vehicle Settings, though, it doesn’t mention that it’s a fob-only feature.

18. Quiet Mini

That setting is for the key only as far as I can tell. I also checked the manual and it says the same. I suspect this might be because the trunk button is unlock only and you can’t lock the front doors from there. So if you unlock the trunk, close it, and walk away your doors would remain unlocked.

SameGuy likes this.