Sport mode driving only/range?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Rexsio, Aug 6, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I need opinion from guys who drive on this setting? SPORT As I drive I3 for 6 years my habit was to drive on lowest setting to get more range . I 3 2014 no Sport setting 84 miles range.As I’m driving SE I find out recently driving 45 miles both ways on highway slow and fast 30 /75 miles / hr I came back from a trip with 40 miles remaining.That’s give me 130 miles range.Car at this setting is really agile to drive and a regen is excellent and really I’m not seeing difference driving on green + all the time with my habits to get more range.What is an opinion from guys driving a lot on SPORT mode my driving is only 3000-4000 miles a year.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

The mode doesn’t make much difference to your actual range, at least not between green, mid and sport. Only green+ makes a real difference as it kills the climate control. (Caveat, green does at least reduce climate slightly but it is still conditioning the air).
    The accelerator pedal simply becomes much less sensitive in mid vs sport, and even more so in green. You have to push the pedal down further to get the same result and in addition there is a delay in response to your input. This is to help you get better efficiency by making your driving smoother. If you are a very smooth driver you’ll do just as well in sport as mid. I don’t notice much difference in the modes if I am driving with efficiency in mind, but most people are not smooth so these modes help.

it the range you get in Sport, driving however you do, is sufficient then drive around in sport (I do).

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  4. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input I’m sensitive driver and I believe my sport mode when a steering wheel is so firm will be may new habit and an acceleration is better as long I don’t care about range I like a setting SPORT as I don’t pay for electricity I was cheap with my I3 was no sport mode there .I set my record to push SE to 94 M/HR and was not going faster anymore.

5. vader

vader Well-Known Member

I've had my SE for almost 2 years and the last 18 months have been in sport mode. Range when driving in town is basically unchanged as most of the time you are at the speed limit or just following other cars. Range on the freeway is unchanged as you are again at the speed limit or following other cars, so performance really doesn't come in to play.

The only time range is effected, is when having fun along a winding back road (legally of course :) ) and punching out of corners. The throttle response means you get up into the higher power modes quicker, so you use more power. If you make use of this regularly, you will use slightly more power than if you were in green/mid. Green+ is limp home mode in my opinion :) Flooring it in any momde will give you max power eventually, so if you take of quickly from traffic lights, it doesn't matter which mode you are in.

I personally prefer sports mode for two reasons. The first is the throttle reponse, and the second is the heavier steering. It is so much more fun to drive - even when you are just plodding along. It is probably a lot to do with where I live, but I seem to get significantly more range than my northern hemisphere friends. I haven't been out of sports mode for a long time.

Jonny Silver, Zim, Rexsio and 2 others like this.
  6. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I drive in sport mode exclusively except on days when my bicycle is on the roof. Then I tamper down to Green mode just to encourage myself to not punch it and put too much force on the bike. I have not noticed a significant decrease in range.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

I thought that sport mode didn't change the steering?

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Sport mode doesn't change the steering ratio, which would make it "heavier" naturally (and actually sportier, IMO). Instead, Sport mode simply reduces the power-steering boost to make the steering feel heavier.

10. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

Today I drove just over 10 miles with no preconditioning in 95F weather. Parked up in the sun for 20 minutes, then drove another 10 miles back home.
    This was with a 45mph speed limit and plenty of red light intersections.
    I did it in Sport mode with AC set to 68degF.

We used 11% to do the round trip, so over 180 miles of theoretical range in those conditions but more likely 165-170 in reality.

11. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

Is it the difference in pedal feel or does regen pull harder in sport too? Playing with mid and sport yesterday, full off seemed to slow faster in sport. Hard to verify without detailed measurement but certainly has a different feel.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

I could be wrong, but I believe only the amount of power-steering boost and the mapping of the accelerator pedal changes in Sport mode (other than the instrument panel colors).

14. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

I started out driving mostly in Mid as that's default. Then I coded mine to keep the mode that you last were driving in. Now I exclusively leave it in Sport as I love the steering so much more. The GOM showed a bit different at first, but no change in actual range between the two in my experience!

ghost, Jonny Silver and GetOffYourGas like this.
  15. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I’m convinced that sport mode also increases the regen a bit. But, I can’t think of a way to actually prove it.

My testing has been by going downhill in mid mode with full regen on and feathering the go pedal sufficiently to maintain a constant speed. Then switch to sport and it feels like the regen increases a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Jonny Silver likes this.
  16. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

Hello guys.

I tend to agree with what has been said here... However, I'd say it's easier to get more range with green since the accelerator pedal is less sensitive (which means that it's easier to keep it coasting - in mid, you'll have to keep an extra eye on it).

17. insightman

Wait. With whom are you tending to agree? Do you believe Sport mode provides greater regen braking? Do you believe Green mode provides more range by reducing the battery drain caused by the HVAC system (as well as by remapping the accelerator pedal as you acknowledged)?

18. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I don't know how accurate it is but the instantaneous efficiency on the dash does show regen amount. The highest I've seen is -0.8mi/kWh.

19. insightman

Can you tell if it is mode-dependent?

If regen braking was mode-dependent, wouldn't it make sense for Green+ mode to provide the greatest regen braking? It's the mode for people limping towards a charging station, right? OK, if not limping, still trying to maximize their range.

Green+ mode should offer both greater regen and a wider coasting zone.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  20. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

Hello.

I agree with all that has been said. I haven't performed any scientific test, but after going through the same route with different modes in different days, it seems like everything that has been said here is relatively accurate. I've used battery percentage as the reference value and haven't noticed any huge difference in consumption between the modes when going at similar speeds. Regarding ac, it seems to go harder on normal or sport mode (again, not a scientific test, but the truth is that i had to turn it off/on while running under sport mode - wife also said it was getting cold and she didn't know I was running a test). And yes, this happened several times during my tests.

Regen also seems stronger... Once more, this is based on one's feeling and not scientific based. The last leg of the route is down hill, a slope that stretches about 200 meters. When using sport mode, i don't have to touch the break once to keep going at around 10km/h...when I do it on green mode, i do need to use the break.

This might be counterintuitive, but I'd say it makes some sense: after all, if you keep the car rolling it will need less energy than if you get stronger regen and then have to accelerate it again.

And yes, i still think that coasting is harder with sport mode than in green, but it's still a matter of getting used to it (need some training to get the foot calibrated to the accelerator range so that you don't go into what I call bump mode: too much accelerator and you get pushed back; removing the foot too much from the accelerator gets you harder regen which does the opposite).

21. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any difference between modes but there is a noticable difference depending on the SE's mood (battery temp, SOC, speed, traction, steering input...) that does show in the readout. I haven't done any controlled testing but I've seen peaks between -1.1mi/kWh at the lowest and -0.8mi/kWh at the highest seemingly just due to battery temp.

insightman likes this.
  22. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately MINI SE drivers have to modulate the throttle to manage the FWD regen. Now I really wish I had a brake regen paddle on my steering wheel with my 3 pedal vehicles!! ;)

I'm pretty sure you can still pull 5.0mi/kWh or more on SPORT.

23. tesrivmini

tesrivmini Active Member

Another advantage of EVs over ICE vehicles, speaking from experience, using Sport mode in a Cayman S, a Boxster S or a Macan GTS *definitely* negatively impacts fuel efficiency! o_O