Charging speed question

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by SC Clarity, Aug 9, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SC Clarity

SC Clarity New Member

Hello all -

If I change out my 220V 16A charger for a 32A, will that double my charging speed?

I drive a lot. Average 20K a year and my first year with my Clarity was around 21K. It is 95% around town and I can charge at home for "free" with our solar system.

Issue is with 3 kids in 3 different schools, who all do sports and all play music and all see multiple docs and therapists that I would love to be able to charge back up quicker! Usually I can space drives apart enough to stay mostly within my 42 mile EV range. It is getting much harder now.

I do average around 2500+ miles per tank of gas. I'd like to keep that up!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Short answer is essentially "yes". 240V 32A should essentially be twice as fast as 240V 16A. You should completely recharge from completely discharged state in essentially 2 hours.

Madmartigen, JFon101231 and MrFixit like this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

After fully discharging the battery (well, as close to fully discharged as the Battery Management System allows), it takes me just a bit over 2 hours to charge my Clarity PHEV at 240 Volts. The Clarity can accept 7.7 kW at 240 Volts and 7700/240 = 32.08 Amps.

Madmartigen, JFon101231 and jdonalds like this.
  5. 8D49B26D-F1BB-4CB3-B5F3-3AF54D56CFEA.jpeg According to this the Clarity PHEV has a 6.6kW charger. That would put it at about 28A. It would nearly cut the charging time in half from a 16A 240V EVSE.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks for the correction. You're correct, the Clarity can charge at up to 6.6 kW on 240 Volts. Maybe it's the Model 3 that does 7.7 kW.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SC Clarity

SC Clarity New Member

Thanks the the info! Now I need to find a reasonable charger. My charger is mounted inside my workshop/garage so I dont need any crazy waterproofing or cases. I was looking at Clipper and Grizzl-e but both seem overkill. I also dont really care about WiFi or anything. I just plug, charge and go.

Any suggestions? Huge bonus if it already has a 6-50 plug on it. I had to cut the factory plug off my 16A charger and wire up a 6-50. Not hard but not ideal either.

9. I opted for the Grizzl-e with a 14-50 plug. It can be optioned with the 6-50 as well. There are less expensive choices for sure.

10. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

This 6.6 kW rating is indeed consistent with all the documentation I have seen from Honda.

However, I know from my own experience (and others in this forum) that the Clarity exceeds this by nearly 10%. If not otherwise limited by the pilot signal in the EVSE, the Clarity will draw 30 Amps @ 240V = 7.2 kW. It is possible that Honda updated the onboard charger, but never fixed the documentation accordingly.

The spec as stated by Honda is a little odd anyway because it says 6.6 kW, 32A. This inconsistent with itself given a nominal 240V input.

11. gedwin

gedwin Member

For what it is worth, I got a previous model from Blink for a great Black Friday price through Amazon ($250). The charger has been great for the two years I have owned it, no regrets whatsoever. No unneeded bells and whistles, which it sounds like is what you are looking for. I see they have a newer model now, which is 6-50. (Mine was hard wired, no cable.) This newer model is currently $450 on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

SC Clarity likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.