Chattanooga id.4 IRA-incentive eligible?

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Bruce Jankowitz, Aug 9, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bruce Jankowitz

Bruce Jankowitz New Member

Is small battery Chattanooga id.4 eligible for Infl. act of 2022 credit? Is there a list of eligible vehicles? I've read the text of the bill and its clear as mud. Also is there a listing of battery materials and components and their origin?

Thanks,
    Bruce

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Maine EV girl

Maine EV girl New Member

There is no clear list yet, especially since the bill isn't through Congress yet or signed. Speculation has it that the smaller battery ID4 would qualify somewhat because it is built in the US, and the battery is also built here. I read on another forum today that the battery manufacturer's website says that it's minerals come from countries with which we have free trade agreements, but I have not verified it. My confusion is when each part of the legislation goes into effect, since I have read 2023 and 2024 alternatively.

4. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

Some websites are even reporting the "Assembled in N America" requirement will go into effect the moment the Bill is signed, even though the rest doesn't until January 2023. We were debating this in the General Thread. *IF* that is correct, it means almost no vehicles will qualify for Fed Tax credits the last quarter of this year, as tesla, Chevy, still wouldn't have the new program, but folks like Hyundai would immediately loose theirs. Again, *IF* true, sales of Ev6 and Ioniq 5 could tank. I'm talking with my closest VW dealer about a pre-order for a 2023 ID4 Pro. Without a tax credit, the Ioniq 5 looses its appeal. But the VW dealer has to deliver me a Tennessee model for the $7500, so she is checking into if they can specify that in the order. for me, it doesn't matter as much is its a point of sale rebate or tax credit. So I could take a Tennessee built version this fall.

It is complicated.

5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

VW said on Twitter: "Any reservations that are currently not locked yet, or were locked after 8/3/2022, will be 2023 models built in Chattanooga. We're currently reviewing the proposed legislation, and will update customers once we have more info. -KO"

Reservations that are locked, or for which there is a vehicle in transit are trickier - they haven't said much about that yet.

6. Chicago Bob

Chicago Bob New Member

I think what makes things more complicated is you may be able to get a 2023 model year car in 2022. Would that fall under the old tax rebate?
    Isn't there a stepped feature in the bill where its assembled in America then later battery in America with % of contents from America?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

Does anyone have more details about the 2023's ability for bi directional charging? I know there was a quote that "at first" it would be only for home use. Honestly don't care too much about that, but being able to use power on camping trips would be interesting. I know the ioniq 5 required an expensive adapter.

Side question... the ID4 has blended braking, correct? Does it have regen paddles or what is the best way to deal with steep downhill grades? One of my favorite hiking spots has about 5-6 thousand foot drop back to he highway. You don't want to ride your brakes.

9. Chicago Bob

Chicago Bob New Member

"Does anyone have more details about the 2023's ability for bi directional charging?"
    From all the pre-release video I have seen this has not been shown as a feature. So I doubt it.
    "Does it have regen paddles" I drove the 22 and did not have any regen paddles. I had a Bolt and this
    was a great feature but it was not done well. It only had one level of regen. The Lyriq is supposed to have variable
    regen which is what that should be. Would almost never his the brakes if that were the case.

10. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

So it just has a "B" mode correct? At least that's something more than just standard regen braking.

11. Chicago Bob

Chicago Bob New Member

Far as I know from the last test drive. I don't own one yet but its currently the best EV for the money.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I also have a Bolt. You can modulate the regen with the accelerator pedal, making it a nearly infinitely variable level. The regen paddle simply increases the max possible regen.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

14. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

Has anyone heard what the backlog on the ID4 is? I know it used to be 6 months or more, but I find that odd, as my closest dealer has 2 2022's on their lot. So how long have people been waiting? I was told Q4, but I haven't yet been asked to lock in the $400 remainder of my deposit.

15. Kenstl

Kenstl New Member

Same here, waiting on $400 lock in. Now that the bill is signed, I am assuming the “old” 7500 credit is no longer valid, thus would have to take possession in 2023 to get it. Hell, it wouldn’t surprise me if VW raises their prices with the new credit at sale. At that point, I am strongly considering the Model Y that I have on order, assuming it qualifies in 2023.

16. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

Interesting because my understanding is the opposite; the old credit applies as long as it's assembled in N America. Come 2023, I have doubts.

If I may ask, when did you put in the $100?

17. Kenstl

Kenstl New Member

It has been so long ago, not fully sure but I think it was May. I logged on to the VW site and when attempting to go to my order, the site kicked me out with the "Oops" flag so apparently I cannot view that info right now. I did receive an email moving my order from a 2022 to a 2023, but still have not received the request to deposit the $400.

Ordering an EV from any of the companies is kind of joke right not with the long lead times. I wonder how many of the "orders" are duplicate vehicle orders similar to me. I think I have an "order" out on 3 different brands right now. I obviously will only purchase one.