ICE Breaker

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by bobcubsfan, Jun 4, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Well, that seems to make eliminate the possibility of my “not completing the System Check” theory. So if you’re not pressing past the click and keeping it in Econ and not meeting the other criteria for ICE operation in the manual, then you have a legitimate grievance if the ICE keeps coming on repeatedly. It definitely sounds like an anomalous behavior compared to the rest of us.
    Have you had it to the dealer yet and did they discover any error codes?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

Will bring in next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. HariN

HariN New Member

Hi! Bob, I will also open ticket with Honda. I did not see strange ICE behavior since last week, but, whatever issue is Honda should be aware of the issue and fix it. I drove 3.5k miles so far, I have seen this issue only recently.

5. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

Interesting. Does it happen when you first start out or later?

6. HariN

HariN New Member

When I first start after full charge. It will stay on ~ 10 miles are so , the power band become hatched white instead of normal blue.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

Always?

9. HariN

HariN New Member

No, few weeks back, for couple of weeks

10. HariN

HariN New Member

If you are asking about power band, it turns white only during ICE turned on...

11. K8QM

K8QM Active Member

@HairN this sounds so much like the ICE coming on due to regen with a full charge that I wonder if you've tried running your heater even if you don't need it for the first five minutes of your drive? You could even just run it for a couple of minutes in the driveway before you start.

If that stopped it from happening you would at least know the cause - although obviously running your heat every morning would not be an acceptable solution.

geo

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

worth a try

Johnhaydev likes this.
  14. HariN

HariN New Member

I tried with ac on, still ICE came on

15. KentuckyKen

Ummm, manual says heavy climate control use is one of the triggers for ICE operation.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  16. K8QM

K8QM Active Member

From previous forum threads I think the heat has a much higher current draw than AC but I can't confirm that.

geo

17. KentuckyKen

I second that motion. I’ve noticed less of a reduction in HV range estimate and HV actual range to depletion with a/c than with heat (all other driving conditions similar). Surprisingly, a/c usage on auto set at 74F (with higher fan speeds used only at start up) has only lost me 5 miles or so range on a charge. I was expecting more. I think garaging and ceramic heat reflecting film are helping a lot. And so far with temps in the high 80sF, Econ is not modulating the a/c to an extent that I’m not staying cool. :)

KenG likes this.
  18. Even if we all want to drive the Clarity PHEV like a 100% EV and never buy any gas, we have to remember that there is gas in the tank and sooner or later it has to be replaced if not it will eventually go bad and really harm the engine.
    I haven't talked to Honda yet, but I would think that putting new gas in tank at least once every 6 months would prevent the gas from going bad.
    So, plan to go for a nice weekend trip using the ICE on HV mode and stop worrying about it.
    If it is too much, next time buy a pure EV like the Bolt, Leaf or Tesla 3.

19. Roy2001

Roy2001 Member

Calm down guys. ICE is on to drag the Clarity just like regular cars as it cannot use generator to drag the Clarity since the battery is full.

So for short distance slope N could be an alternative with physical brake, but that could be dangerous if u you use it a lot.

And Engine warm cycle consume very little gas, as few as 100ml for5minutes.

20. Dreamgt

Dreamgt New Member

:rolleyes: Noted... Sorry Bob.

Domenick likes this.
  21. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

The issue is inconsistent behavior. On consecutive days under exactly the same conditions, full battery, same road and weather conditions, driving the same route, the ICE will come online or not.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  22. Roy2001

Roy2001 Member

That could be depend on where Clarity think it could charge the battery, and that could be decided by temperature and battery status. If the battery is full, it should use ICE to brake.

23. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

So loyal participants here is the result of having the Clarity Hybrid checked out by a dealer: Nothing. No errors found. Nothing wrong. So what is left is the algorithm.