BC EV rebates now increase $1000

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Aug 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. And Ontario does nothing :(

3. rpark

rpark Member

....and Saskatchewan adds $150 EV tax every year.

4. You get charged for owning an EV?

5. Yeah, and income tested. I made the mistake of registering my Kona in both me and my husband's name, so neither of us can get another rebate. I think the income testing is going to backfire because the current prices of EVs is still pretty high comparatively and that's a real barrier for some - real or perceived.

electriceddy likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. It was a good ticket to ride pre-2019 (before the federal rebate was established), as the program was originally $5k CDN and usable once per calendar year. I managed 2 provincial rebates before that happened, so I guess I can't complain;)

8. Did the previous version have income qualification thresholds?

9. I had a closer look at this, and doesn't sound good. Most people who can afford an EV will get zero BC rebate. With the income qualifications it is nothing more than virtue signalling. I am very disappointed...:(

10. The other hicup is having to be "pre-approved" which can take up to 3 weeks, and also are limited to use it if approved within 1 year.
    This normally won't be an issue, but with delivery times delayed- who knows when is the best time to apply, as it may take over a year just to receive the new EV. Also when things get back to "normal", so much for dropping into any car dealer and buy off the lot such as end of the Companies quarter when the prices are minimum as they get and the 3 week wait could throw a wrench into it.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Income thresholds went into effect August 2, 2022. This is ridiculous especially with the cost of living in BC!

Back to la belle province Quebec to get the $7,000 provincial rebate for vehicles under $60,000 MSRP (max 3 rebates per year). Too bad Federal $5,000 is only 1 per year.

13. @Kathryne - When we bought our Kona, we registered the car in both our names but the rebate was claimed in my name only. For the next car we will claim the rebate in the other half's name.
    Ask the dealer who's name the rebate is registered in, they should be able to look it up in their records. The other way to find out is to email [email protected], provide you DL's and VIN, then they can check the records and see who's name comes up. The rebate shouldn't be registered in both your names, if it is then the dealer screwed up (wouldn't that be a surprise) and CEV didn't catch it.
    @RP - isn't the point of the rebate to help those who "can't" afford an EV a better opportunity to buy one, not to subsidize those who can afford to buy one. Don't get me wrong, if the government gives me the opportunity to reclaim tax money that would be otherwise squandered I'll take it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    electriceddy likes this.
  14. No, I thought the point of the rebate is to get more EVs on the road to help mitigate climate change. Those that do qualify for the rebate likely won't be buying EVs, as they will still cost too much even after the rebate compared to an ICE car. And those that don't qualify will get more for their money by buying a higher end ICE car, even if it costs more to run. $80K gross income is not that high here in BC, when you consider our taxes, the cost of living, and what it costs to raise a family. And their disposable income is taking an even greater hit these days with the high inflation.

In BC, we have an abundance of hydro electric power. We should do as much as possible to get as many EVs on the road as possible and as soon as possible. Most other places in the world, in the US, and even in Canada, would have to burn more fossil fuels with more EVS. That is not the case here, and we should be taking advantage of our unique opportunity to help the planet.

electriceddy and OzKona like this.
  15. This concept is actually about to go online and could be applied to over half a million different sites worldwide, brilliant:)

R P likes this.
  16. I hear there are a lot of big holes in California and Nevada...