Hybrid Battery & Engine Fan

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by NJClarity, Aug 3, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. NJClarity

NJClarity Member

Just wondering is anyone has run into a situation where their engine fan no longer runs when the hybrid battery is charging? I used to hear mine running all the time and it doesn't seem like it runs any more. Don't think that would be good for battery life if it is happening. Called the Honda dealer and asked them about it and never got a call back. Will need to schedule a service appointment.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Quite likely, what you’ve been hearing is the fan for the battery cooling system. The fan should come on when necessary, but does not run continuously while charging.

4. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I've noticed my battery cooling system fan runs very little when connected to my 16amp evse. The fan runs a lot more frequently when I'm using my 32amp evse.

5. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

I believe the system on ours will run the fan when necessary.

The odd behavior I've noticed is that when I arrive home after running on battery and power down the car, the fan will run until I plug in. Exactly when it detects the plug present, it turns off the fan. I almost always have a charge schedule enabled so it not immediately starting a charge. It is just odd that when you power down the car it continues to run the fan because it believes it is needed, but plugging in terminates the fan. This isn't just coincidence, it happens on cue every time.

6. Higher charge rate = more heat.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. gedwin

gedwin Member

Speculating, it could be that if plugged in and not charging there is no reason to cool the battery pack. Plugged in means you are not driving and not charging means the system doesn’t have any new energy to deal with. So in that case, I suppose it would use less energy overall to turn off the fan and let the ambient environment and time cool things down. If charging were to start and the battery system was still too warm, I’d expect the fan might come back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

After owning the car for 4 years, i learned that the car has a mind of its own. It will do whatever it need to keep itself 'comfortable'

turtleturtle, leehinde and insightman like this.
  10. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

I think your concern is valid because the car is not acting the same as before. I would recommend getting to the bottom of it by running on ev battery for several miles on a warm day then plug in and see if fan comes on. Obviously , if your ambient temp is down in your area the fan may not come on. If you never hear the fan come in that is definitely a concern.