Tesla adapter

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Paul DeLeon, Nov 12, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Update: After more tries the Lectron adapter worked less than 50% of the time. After contacting Lectron it is clear that they know there's a problem with their adapter. So I can't recommend it. But they say their new 48A adapter will work every time.

Padlocking the lectron adapter or Hyundai Level 1 charger to prevent theft is easy to do.

arhnold and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I wonder if they'd swap out your adapter for you? I have the 40A version I bought in November of 2019 and have never had it not work for me, first with my Hyundai Kona and now my RAV4 Prime, have had 100% success rate. In fact I used it in two different places just in the past 3 days. Sounds like you have one that is a lemon, unless the charging stations are the problem.

4. Good idea on an exchange. But can Lectron really blame the charging stations? Lectron certainly implies that their adapter will work on all tesla destination chargers.

5. I guess I was thinking you said they seem to know there is a problem with some of their adapters, if that is the case then I would think they would do an exchange if you ended up with a lemon. If the problem is the charging station then I agree, they're going to be less sympathetic in that case.

6. FYI - I now have Lectron's newest Tesla to J1772 adapter and it works much better! Worked well over 80% of the time. The one charger it didn't work with had a brushed chrome finish, if that means anything. In spite of the one failure I would still call it a win because it allowed me to charge at more hotels on my trip. Starting a road-trip day with a full charge at $0 is a meaningful advantage. I noticed a lot of hotels have one J1772 plug in high demand and several tesla plugs that hardly get used. So having this adapter avoided me having to queue up for the J1772, and freed up the J1772 for others.

electriceddy and Mattsburgh like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I also picked one up (if you are talking about this one 48A max model). I have yet to try it out, but happy to hear it does work well.
    There was mention from one purchaser who created a work around if it doesn't work:
    -Turn off engine
    - Open charge port on vehicle
    -Connect adapter to Tesla charger
    - Wait at least 30 seconds
    -Plug into vehicle
    -Wait to hear "charging successful" audio message
    -Get in vehicle and start engine
    -Charging confirmed (see dashboard)
    -Turn off engine (to charge more quickly)
    Not the best choice of words, but the key point is the delay before engaging the adapter into the vehicle charge port.

Together with this J+ Booster (yet to P/U when the adapters become available in late November), should cover all the bases in remote areas:)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
  9. I just thought it would be appropriate to advise anyone using these units on a Tesla destination type charger to be aware that there is no documentation of the fact that the wording "supports 48A of maximum current" is applicable to having a "continuous" rating.
    In other words, limit the charging current to 80% if charging with an EV with an on board charger capable of 11,500 w, that is 9200w (38.33 A max).
    The new gen Kona EV is I believe rated @ 10.8 kw OBC so it would be a wise idea to lower charging current to ovoid overheating of the adapter and receiving pins if used particularly over a 1 hour period.
    Any EV with an on-board charger with a higher rating than what we now have in existing Kona EVs (7.2kw) will be happily supplied by the destination charger as it is quite capable of feeding 48A continuously.
    If the full 48 amps is a requirement, then I suggest getting an adapter rated at 60A or better, or a corded unit to help relieve any strain on the charging port (not endorsing these - just an example- make sure which ever one you get is certified);)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
    JoeS and Fastnf like this.
  10. This is good advice ... many here in NZ have been using J1772 to Type 2 adapters for years and all the ones I've seen are corded.