Mini Acemen Announcement 27 July!

Discussion in 'Aceman' started by DerekG, Jul 25, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. And here it is: the MINI Aceman concept.
    There's a whole gallery in the post linked here, but this basically it.

mini-concept-aceman.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

So many questions--such as will the production version get a hood scoop and is the grille-surround lighting incandescent? /s

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Actually not bad, looks better than a Countryman. I could see that as an okay replacement for the Clubman, except for the hatch instead of barn doors. And even though it's a concept, sad a vehicle that size won't come to the United States.

I wonder what that tells us about the new Hardtop. I recognize similar hips and if you squint just right you can see the new-style tail light cutouts. Sadly, though, it looks like the circle might be leaving MINI's design language.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I can’t see the Hardtop ever not having round headlamps, but I expect this concept hints at the next family rear end overall.

6. tesrivmini

tesrivmini Active Member

Noooope, hard pass - but in fairness I’m never going to be interested in Clubman-ish size “Mini”…

Minicris, JonR, carrrl and 1 other person like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

More info on the Aceman via Wired. A few points:
    • Concept is 80% of final design
    • Made by Great Wall in China
    • Available in 2024
    • Same platform as new Hardtop
    • No frunk
    • New MINI OS based on Android

(Note, the article states the 3-door Hardtop is MINI's #1 seller, the Countryman being #2.)

The Wired article also mentions the new Hardtop will come in two configurations:
    1. Cooper E with 135 kW and 300 km (186 mi) range
    2. Cooper SE with 160 kW and 400 km (248 mi) range

Ketos, GvilleGuy and MichaelC like this.
  9. LittleWoods

LittleWoods Active Member

If that's all accurate, I'm feeling pretty good about pulling the trigger on a 2023 SE despite its shorter range.

tesrivmini, carrrl and wally3 like this.
  10. insightman

I assume that's worldwide, correct? If so, that means the rest of the world must buy 99% Hardtops and 1% Countrymans.

11. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

I like it! I don’t really understand the red front reflectors but generally, not too bad. I wonder how the actual range will be. Mini/BMW seem to exceed their published range when so many others are the opposite. It will be interesting to see if the Great Wall versions will be any different in that respect.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

There's probably room for a big battery--bigger than 160 kW--in that long, wide, and tall crossover.

14. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

In all fairness to those Asian languages, I think the "p" has a weird aspiration/plosive equivalent so Paceman could be Base-man, Paysu-men, or some other variant. Aceman makes is soooooo much easier to pronounce!

MichaelC likes this.
  15. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

insightman likes this.
  16. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    MINI ACEMAN: is THIS the electric MINI we’ve been waiting for? FIRST LOOK / Electrifying

Personally i love it.. knowing full well that the crazy stuff is just concept. What i would love to stay in production is the roof rack and the tail lights.

I'm glad i'm getting a 2023 SE. I'll be able to patiently wait and see what the future will bring.

17. moofpup

moofpup Active Member

Please...NO!

azausa and LTTinNKY like this.
  18. insightman

I remember back in 1987 when Jeep's designers thought it would be cool to make the Wrangler's round headlights rectangular. It took 8 years, but Jeep finally listened to their customers, who considered the round headlights part of Jeep's legacy. The round headlights became part of Jeep's registered trademark (they tried to trademark the 7-slot grille, but GM had more lawyers):

upload_2022-7-27_8-49-3.png

19. Yesssssss.... come to the dark side.... :D

revorg and GvilleGuy like this.
  20. Puppethead

Don't get your hopes up just yet. Having the OS built on Android doesn't guarantee they'll add Android Auto support. I wonder what MINI is running now, QNX is the only other general-purpose car OS I'm aware of. Or is there a Windows car OS *shudder*?

21. SameGuy

YUL
    Not since the early versions of Ford Sync. I think it runs Blackberry QNX now, but will migrate to Android in the near future.

22. SameGuy

YUL
    Didn’t BMW just sign up as one of the launch platforms for the next Apple CarPlay?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  23. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Oh great, another SUV. We need more of these.

F14Scott and insightman like this.