Sync Garage Door Opener

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Quorn, May 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Quorn

Quorn Member

I am having trouble sync-ing my Mini Cooper SE with my Wayne Dalton garage door Model Number 3000.
    Any tips or tricks?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Quorn

Quorn Member

the frequency of my garage door opener is 303mHz. What is the frequency of the door opener in the Mini Cooper SE 2022 rear view mirror?

4. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

I’m having issues with mine too, the mirror says it captures the code from the remote right away but then doesn’t work to open the door. What’s the behavior you’re experiencing?

5. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

It took me forever to get mine programmed, but I don't remember what finally worked.

In any case, it wasn't worth it. The range is crap, it's further to reach vs a remote clipped to the visor, and I kept having to reposition the mirror. I would be parked 2 feet from the door and still have to press the button 4-5 times to get it to work.

6. endquote

endquote Active Member

Weird. I expected mine to be a huge pain to program, but it worked right away and manages the door reliably. My opener is a Liftmaster that's only a few years old.

F14Scott likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. drdunkyn

drdunkyn Well-Known Member

It seems to be the same that they have in the BMW. Crap range, but works fine with Liftmaster, as long as you have a remote to program it. I don't know who Wayne Dalton is, but maybe you should give him his remote back.

Kidding aside, make sure you reset the mirror settings, and do the sync with the actual opener, if Wayne is sporting a fancy randomizing frequency as most openers are doing these days. Usually just requires pushing Wayne's special button for "learn."

9. I programmed it on two garages, and on one of the garages, I forgot that I had the same issue when I programmed it with my 440i, so I looked back at this in depth video for the steps that worked for me.

The main difference is using the learn button, and after its registered, you press the learn button again to confirm (step 9)

1. Get your current garage door opener remote. Move your
    BMW outside of the garage.
    2. Be within range of the garage or gate but do not be in the
    path of door opening/closing.
    3. Get ladder, open garage door opener control panel, locate
    the LEARN Button
    4. Get in your BMW, turn BMW accessories on - but do not
    start the motor. Tip- Press the start/stop button but do not
    have your foot on the brake.
    5. On your rear view mirror, press & hold Homelink buttons
    1&3 at the same time for about ten seconds. Initially the light
    will be solid yellow until rapid flashing green occurs. - now all
    old code settings are wiped out.
    6. Press button 1 until slow flashing yellow.
    7. Now hold your garage door opener 3 inches from the mirror
    and push the desired button you want your BMW to emulate.
    8. When the little light on the mirror flashes green rapidly let
    go of your remote button and push the button to be
    programmed once.
    9. Now go up to control panel on the Garage door opener and
    press LEARN button
    10. You now have about 30 seconds to get down the ladder
    and push Homelink button 1 on your mirror.
    11. If you have another door to program, press Homelink
    button 2 until slow blinking yellow light appears. Repeat steps
    7-9.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

10. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

I have a Genie opener, and it took me forever to get it to work. I tried with the remote as the instructions said, and also watched a video from Genie because they had a different way of doing it. Nothing worked. Finally I tried from the opener itself (the way you would sync the remote), and that worked, though it was difficult because I had to jump down from a chair and go all the way around to get in the car and sync with the mirror. After that, it worked but is not that reliable. I found that it often didn't work when I left the house, and it would when I came back. So when leaving, I tried to push the button while the car was still moving, and that seemed to work better. It works most of the time, so what I do is I just keep the regular remote inside the armrest compartment, and if the Homelink opener doesn't work, then I have quick(ish) access to the remote. I still prefer that to having the remote permanently on my sun visor.

11. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Since I installed a Tailwind system on our doors I haven’t reached for the HomeLink button in the Scoob, and rarely fumble for the remote in my Crapolla. Leaving, I either let Tailwind close it automatically when I get about 1000 feet away, or ask Siri to close it. Coming home, Tailwind starts to open it automatically as I’m leaving the stop sign a couple of houses away (maybe 250 feet) and it’s fully open as I pull in.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. This video was made specifically for programming the Mini Cooper garage door opener:

SameGuy, GvilleGuy and MichaelC like this.
  14. SameGuy

YUL
    Sorry for the bump, but I just synced my 25 year old Chamberlain WhisperDrive opener (on my wife’s side of the garage, that I’ve been hogging since the SE arrived) and remote using the info from the video linked by @Cheap Sunglasses above, and it works fine. She temporarily deactivated her Tailwind Vehicle Sensor while I’m usurping her garage space. When I get my side tidied, I’ll likely sync my Liftmaster opener, but I’ll also reactivate my Tailwind Vehicle Sensor and never need the HomeLink buttons again.

15. zellsun

zellsun Member

Mine is MyQ, it works fine as follows steps in the manual.

16. SameGuy

YUL
    Yeah the Liftmaster on my side is much newer and while I used to use MyQ (and had that integrated with SmartThings and Alexa), I’ve since switched to Tailwind.

17. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Bumping an existing thread--no matter how old--is a good idea. It's better than starting a new thread that doesn't build upon the hard-won wisdom our fellow forum members have already imparted.

[​IMG]

I don't know anything about the Tailwind system. Do you need one of these in-car units on the dash even though the MINI is Bluetooth-enabled?

The strength of the transmitter in the mirror of my SE is pitiful. My Clarity can open my garage door from nearly a block away; sometimes my SE fails from 10 feet away.

18. SameGuy

YUL
    You’d need one of those sensors only if you are an iPhone user. It’s a limitation Apple has built into their spec for security. Mine stays in the ashtray of the antique Toyota, and will likely reside in the glovebox of the MINI.

The Tailwind system works really well overall, and the company has amazing customer service and an online forum for technical and user questions.

insightman likes this.