Tires (Summer/Winter/All-Season)

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Puppethead, Sep 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Ketos and MichaelC like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Ouch that’s dealership pricing. I’d probably seek an alternative.

Ketos likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I believe you are correct, I don't remember seeing our tires on TireRack.

However, for small-wheeled SE owners, TireRack still doesn't sell the 195/55R16 87W Ventus Prime 3 non-runflats. I found them listed at Walmart for $172 and at Sears for an eye-watering $690/tire (marked down from $793). Discount Tire doesn't list them.

Ketos likes this.
  5. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

36-13-6-889-175 is the correct number. Your trepidation about it being associated with the Power Spoke wheel (which has them integrated with the removable panel that covers the lug bolts) is well-founded. However, that's just an erroneous illustration courtesy of BMW/MINI.

If it helps, I found this picture:
    179_700240578.jpg

Puppethead and SameGuy like this.
  6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I can confirm that, I have those boxes with that part number for the caps I got for my winter wheels.

MichaelC and SameGuy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Ok I’ll get around to ordering them when the days get shorter. Thanks!

9. mini2023

mini2023 New Member

Hi,
    New to this group. Great information. Live in the northeast where at times go below 15 degrees. And it's icy and snowy several times a month. So, i know the MiniSE comes with summer tires. So, is it recommended to change the tires to Winter tires in October and late february the following year change back to summer tires? Or just go with all season. Has Mini USA provided a recommendation?
    Thank you all for your guidance.

10. insightman

Welcome to the forum! Some people (me) love the summer performance tires MINI chose. Not only are they reasonably sticky, but MINI also chose them for the greatest mileage per charge (not the greatest longevity--can't have everything). You will likely sacrifice range if you go with all-season tires.

I have three sets of wheels/tires for my SE: the OEM Power Spoke rims I put on just one day a year--I'm afraid of curbing them, so they're just for show, a set of MINI Loop Spoke rims with Hankook summer performance tires, and a second set of Loop Spoke rims with Michelin winter tires.

Note that the MINI Cooper SE is the only MINI Cooper that doesn't come with run-flat tires. I'm glad of that because I don't like the ride of run-flat tires.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I try to change to winter tires in mid-November, and then back to summer tires in March or April. One has to be flexible, 'cause the weather certainly is. I used to do it myself, but my floor jack won't fit under the car, and there must have been a chip shortage on the formerly included scissors jack.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  13. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I use winter tires from the middle of October until the end of April. That being said, I've seen snow in every single month of the year.

If efficiency is a non-issue, you could have a 3.5 season Michelin CrossClimate 2 wheels & tires set and a separate set for summer performance wheels & tires.

14. mini2023

mini2023 New Member

Thank you for your quick response.

15. mini2023

mini2023 New Member

Thank you for your quick response. Very Helpful.

16. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Where I live we get serious arctic winter, so my case is an extreme one but it might be helpful. I usually put the winter tires on around Thanksgiving (late November), depending on the weather. I try to wait until the projected highs stay below 40 ºF for the upcoming week. And I swap the summer wheels back on usually sometime in April once chance of snow is mostly past and the average temperature is mostly above the same 40 ºF.

On the SE I'm still using the summer performance tires it came with, and will continue to use them. I have non-runflat winter tires for the SE. With my MINI Clubman (ICE) I run all-seasons runflats during the summer, and winter runflats during the winter. By using all-seasons the Clubman can act as my "safety" car if the weather turns suddenly in the fall and I can't drive the SE. And because it's ICE the peace of mind of runflats overrides the ride penalty. I've found some runflat tires are fairly decent these days.

mini2023, SameGuy and MichaelC like this.
  17. insightman

Another benefit of winter tires is they extend the life of the summer tires. However, during the months I'm driving on my winter tires, I'm pining for the day I can again be cranking around corners on the summer tires.

GetOffYourGas, MichaelC and SameGuy like this.
  18. mini2023

mini2023 New Member

Thank you. Very Helpful

19. tesrivmini

tesrivmini Active Member

My personal opinion is that although all-seasons are continually improving, using them still means you are compromised in all seasons, when compared to running summer and winter tires. However, I've only lived in a climate - similar to what you describe - cold enough for winter tires for the last 6 years - so I will always use winters, given my lack of experience. As with our other cars, I'll source winter tires on another set of wheels and just swap them. The way I look at it, it gives me the best chance to enjoy the maximum Mini-ness available in each season.

SameGuy likes this.
  20. insightman

Winter tires that stop you just a few inches shorter in a panic stop could save you money and time in the body shop; likely saving more money than the cost buying and seasonally changing the tires. There's a big ornamental rock at the entrance to my local shopping center and one winter in the slush I found myself sliding towards that rock--I credit my winter tires for gaining traction at the last second and allowing me to turn away from a nasty collision.

SameGuy and TimB like this.
  21. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Although a few days old, TFLEV redid their Mini Cooper SE highway range test with OEM summer Hankook and power spoke wheels. More range than the CrossClimate 2 as expected.

MichaelC likes this.
  22. insightman

Spoiler alert

The CrossClimate 2s on non-aero aftermarket rims took them 116.2 miles before the battery was completely discharged. On the OEM Hankook Ventus S1 evo3 tires and Power Spoke rims and driving at 60 mph and 70 mph until 3% of the charge remained:

upload_2022-7-28_0-38-33.png

MichaelC likes this.