DC/Level 3 Charging to 100%: What is your comfort level?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Chris Alemany, Jul 7, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

DC/Level 3 Charging to 100%: What is your comfort level?

Poll closed Jul 10, 2022.
  1. 5 - Very Comfortable - Charge to 100% without worry

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. 4 - OK - When needed, 100% on DC is OK.

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. 3 - Not Sure or Indifferent

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. 2 - No - Maybe if I have to, but would rather not.

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. 1 - No - Won't charge to 100%

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Would love to hear your rational in the comments. I'm wavering between 2 and 4... I'd rather not, or I'm just not sure but maybe when it's needed it'd be ok?

The context here is a very long distance trip that has a few big gaps in it. I wouldn't suggest using a DC charge to get to 100% on a regular basis, ever. And there may be some caveats here around the actual KW at the charger. Perhaps if the L3 charger is limited to 25KW or 50KW vs. 150KW+?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Usually in Quebec, Canada, for road trip and vacance, we have enough DC Fast charger along the road, so I didn't charge over 80%. Lost of time, money and battery capacity over time.

For that kind of usage, I change my current limit of L2 charging from 80% to 100 % and revert it back afterward.

Kirk and John McGrath like this.
  4. Cars automatically slow everything down after 80% anyway so, in effect, charging to 100% on DCFC shouldn't be much different from slow charging to the same level. That's certainly been my understanding.

navguy12 and Ferenc Jakab like this.
  5. Not completely. Charging on DCFC has the side effect on heating way more the battery than L2 charging. Battery degradation will be faster if used often. Heat kill battery.

6. I've been very impressed by the network of chargers in Quebec! It's even better than BC. It won't be an issue there :). Saskatchewan and northern Ontario are the question. :)

Good point.

The Kona tends to reduce the KW to the battery I think mainly to avoid this heating effect. Definitely green that heating can be bad for the battery!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yes, I know that DCFC overall is seen as less battery-friendly with heating being the culprit but I believe the question was essentially is 100% of charge derived by DCFC worse than charging to 100% at lower powered stations. I don't recall ever seeing any evidence that there's a difference.

eurokeitai and Chris Alemany like this.
  9. tjkvt

tjkvt New Member

10. tjkvt

tjkvt New Member

As mentioned the added cost and time as the Kona manages DC charging after 80% plus the battery degradation issue make this an “only if necessary” occurrence for me. I haven’t ever gone to 100% in two years of ownership but may need to in a few weeks when on a road trip to Wyoming

IslandGuy and Chris Alemany like this.
  11. By "comfort level" I assume you're referring to being kind to the battery? I'm waiting for a new battery so am not allowed to charge over 90% but once replaced I would have no concerns charging to 100% DC or AC if I was starting off on a trip or had the time to top-up that much during a trip.

It's the "time at 100%" that should be minimised, don't worry about the process of getting there, especially on AC, or 25 and 50kW DC. But I'd avoid higher the charge rates if it was not inconvenient to do that because they may exceed "1C" of the cell capacity which is 180 amps.

Same applies to being under 20%, don't leave it there overnight if you don't have to.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    KonaAU, Kirk, navguy12 and 3 others like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. This makes sense to me. Charge it up to 100% or drain it below 20%, but don’t leave it at either for any length of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

14. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

I only fast charge on the road, therefore drive right after. 100% with no reservation.

KonaAU and Kirk like this.
  15. rpark

rpark Member

Reading the Owners Manual states the, time, to 80% plus "can be charged to 100%" on both DC 100kW and 50kW. (see chart Charge Time Information on page 1-17 owners manual). But it warns the use of DC charging should be "minimized" to prolong battery life. So I think DC charging to 80% or 100% is irrelevant, its the act of DC charging, period, that damages the high voltage battery.

(From the Owners Manual, DC Charge page 1-28)
    DC fast charging (also known as Level
    3 charging) provides high power DC
    current directly to the EV battery. DC
    charging stations are capable of charging
    the EV battery to 80% in less than 75
    minutes under normal conditions.
    While DC charging is very fast
    compared to AC charging, prolonged
    and continuous use of DC fast charging
    may reduce the long term life of the
    EV battery. Usage of a DC fast charger
    should be minimized when possible in
    order to help prolong the life of the EV
    battery.

IslandGuy likes this.
  16. rpark

rpark Member

The Owners manual recommends storing for extended periods of time at 100% battery level. Kind of makes sense to AC charge everyday to 100% is not harmful at all. But what is harmful is leaving high voltage battery below 20% over time.

(Owners Manual, High Voltage Battery (lithium-ion polymer) page 1-8)

If the vehicle will not be used for
    an extended amount of time, it is
    recommended to fully charge the
    vehicle to 100% before storing, and
    then charge the vehicle periodically
    (approximately every 3 months)
    to prevent the EV battery from
    discharging completely.
    • AC charge is recommended to keep
    the high voltage battery in optimal
    condition.
    Avoid storing the vehicle with a low
    battery SOC % (e.g. below 20%).
    Storing the vehicle with the EV battery
    capacity at a low SOC may damage
    the battery over time.

17. rpark

rpark Member

Not driving and having vehicle in a too hot or cold will degrade battery.

(owners manual from page 1-7)

• The charge amount of the high
    voltage battery may gradually
    decrease when the vehicle is not
    being driven.
    • The battery capacity of the high
    voltage battery may decrease when
    the vehicle is stored in high/low
    temperatures.

18. Well we just departed on our cross Canada trip and I charged up (Hope, BC. Electrify Canada) past 80% for the first time on a DC charger. Went to 95%. Definitely adds to the cost due to lower KW but was worth it for time and simplicity. And no I’ll effects. Thanks for the comments everyone! Rambo appreciates it![​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

dark night, DJP, navguy12 and 2 others like this.
  19. Good luck on that trip. Wyoming, like the Dakotas, is way short on DCFC charging opportunities.

20. BigBuckeye

BigBuckeye New Member

I have never investigated this but I am wondering. If the vehicle has active battery systems (heating/cooling) is it not utilized during charging to protect the battery?

21. Ray C

Ray C New Member

I see lots of opinions here, but that is all. Need an expert to weight in on this. Right now, just follow the manual directions.

22. John McGrath

John McGrath New Member

I'm not an expert but I trust this site, which say the "usable capacity" of the Mustang Mach-e with Extended Range (what I have) is 91 kWh. But the *total capacity* is 98.8 kWh.
    https://insideevs.com/news/537347/mustang-mach-e-range-battery/

Which means the car isn't even allowed to charge to 100%. Ford is accounting for the exact concerns expressed here.

I charge to 80% at home (ie, almost always), and to 100% on road trips just to have one less hassle to think about. No ill effects noticed, road trips (up and down the West coast) have been easy and fun.

electriceddy and Kirk like this.
  23. Stevewallace

Stevewallace New Member

The number one reason to Fast Charge Level 3 to 80% is cost. Above 80% charging slows down and costs. You can get anywhere across Canada or up and down the west coast of the USA easily. There are always plenty of stations available. I use plugshare for planning stops and over time have found favorite places to charge. That said, according to Battery University you can charge daily (say for a commute) 250 xs a year. That would be 1000 xs every four years. Say you drove for 16 years, fast charging daily, from 25% to 100%, you would still have 80% of your battery range. Personally, I do most of my charging at Level 1, overnight in ~12 to 13 hour shots, or 60-80%. This would pretty much keep me within the orange line. So when I travel long distance, I D/C fast charge without worry, but to 80% due to cost after 80%. With good planning, I can travel about anywhere with no problem. BTW most people get a new vehicle every 5 to 6 years. Your EV battery is the least of your worries. Personally, I plan to keep mine for 20 years, depending on how new technology speeds up the charging time.
    DST-cycles-web2 Kona charging.jpg